Profile for m lyons > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Finding Emma
Finding Emma

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD STORY, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: Finding Emma (Kindle Edition)
I liked this book and it captivated me to the end. Little girl disappeared in the blink of an eyelid. It tells of how all the family handled the situation. The characters were all very well developed. I loved the old couple who looked after her for 2 years. This book will keep your attention and is a very good read. Dont buy the next one "Emmas Secret"

My Bonnie: How dementia stole the love of my life
My Bonnie: How dementia stole the love of my life

1.0 out of 5 stars IT WAS ALL ABOUT HIM, 24 Jun 2014
I read a lot of memoirs, biographies and autobiographies. This one was very dull. Feel very sorry for his wife ,as dementia is such a dreadful diagnosis for anybody. It effects the whole family and takes a lot of understanding and care. Not easy for anyone. Having said this I just got the feeling that I would not like John Suchet looking after me in a similar circumstances. In the book he mentioned his other books too many times and I felt the book was not "TOTALLY DEVOTED" to Bonnie. I hope that she is well and as happy as she can be as I write this review. By the way I would personally not be interested in any of his other books!

The Other Daughter
The Other Daughter

1.0 out of 5 stars BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!, 24 Jun 2014
This is the first book in years that I actually could not finish. Started off great and had the makings of a great story! I faltered at about 29% and gave up at 34%. I just stopped and said NO life is to short. I was actually relieved and could not wait to start another book I had downloaded on my kindle (another great thing about owning a kindle!) The story got so boring and the characters did not get into my head. When I left it down I had to go over the last few chapters to remember what I had been reading. Too much conversation with nothing happening!I did not even go to the end of the book to see what happened because "I DONT CARE' The biggest disappointment was when I looked back and noted that I had paid around 5 Euro for it!!! Money for old rope!

Emma's Secret: A Novel
Emma's Secret: A Novel

2.0 out of 5 stars THE TITLE OF THIS BOOK SHOULD HAVE BEEN COFFEE AND DONUTS!, 17 Jun 2014
I enjoyed reading Finding Emma so I bought this because it got so many good reviews.I felt that this whole book could have been condensed in to a few chapters and tagged on to the end of the first book! It was boring and drawn out and very obvious the Author was just trying to fill the pages..If there was a quick way of doing it I would count how many times coffee and donuts were mentioned and would go as far as to say the book was centered around coffee and donuts instead of Emma\Emmie/Em. There was the coffee run in the morning, why would you not make your own coffee in the morning? Everyone in the book was either making coffee, drinking coffee, or holding a cup of coffee. The author even described on a couple of occasions HOW the person was holding the coffee and the warm feeling going through their fingers as the were holding the coffee! It well tell how boring the book was if the coffee and donuts took over my mind.

Aprons and Silver Spoons: The heartwarming memoirs of a 1930s scullery maid
Aprons and Silver Spoons: The heartwarming memoirs of a 1930s scullery maid

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you feel all fuzzy and nice., 17 Jun 2014
Really enjoyed Molly Morans memoirs of her life as a scullery maid, and her climb up the ladder in the posh houses where the gentry seemed to get everything done for them except get their bums wiped! Maybe they got that done as well! Molly has a lovely way about her and you feel that you know her as you read the book. The only thing is I would have loved to know a bit more about her immediate family and what happened to her Husband. But thats just me being nosy!! Great read.

Dancing in the Moonlight
Dancing in the Moonlight

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read that moves along at a great pace, 17 Jun 2014
I have never read Rita Bradshaw before and bought this on my kindle for 59 pence! What great value.This is the kind of book I love. Hats off to the Author who introduces you to all the characters in a way you dont forget them. So now you have them all in your head and can visualize them. So many books dont do that and you have to go back a couple of chapters to remind you. The story will hold you and you will want Lucy to do well and make good after the death of her Mother. She is only 14 and takes over where her Mother left off and does everything to keep the family together at the time of dock strikes in England in the thirties. Lots of good descriptions in the book and unexpected twists and turns that will make you go "wow" or "oh no" I highly recommend and will be reading much more of Rita Bradshaw!

The Forgotten Daughter
The Forgotten Daughter

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY LIKABLE BOOK IN MANY WAYS, 17 Jun 2014
I enjoyed this book very much! The story of 3 women and their lives. One of them is living in England and her parents are both killed in a car crash. She is in her early twenties and had no idea that she was adopted.. She then decides to find her biological family which brings her to India and the reader with her!. The descriptions of India has transport you there in you mind. You can smell the spices, the coconut and the flowers of India. I just got lost in the Authors descriptions and the 3 womens stories in the background. They each with their own story and their own paragraph. Just brilliant!. When you start the book just memorize each name and its very easy to follow. Loved every bit of it and it only cost a couple Euros. One of the women was a fantastic cook and was able to make wonderful spicy dishes out of the local produce as she was very poor. When it comes to her chapter she has a lovely recipe at the beginning. I intend to try each one of them as I thought this was a lovely touch. Read and enjoy!

Guilty
Guilty

1.0 out of 5 stars More like a school text book as a warning against drink driving, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Guilty (Kindle Edition)
I love books!!!. I am not an academic and I have no particular genre of book I like in particular. I just love a well written story where you develop an empathy with the characters and care what happens.( that being whether you want to like them or hate them) I like it to have a few twists and turns and properly paced.. Because this book had none of the above I hated it. I got stuck in first but found so much of it just unbelievable. Now I know the Author has experience in the theme of the book but in my view it was boring and long winded and got more and more "makey up" in the last quarter of the book. I also thought the pulling together of all the characters at the end of the book just felt like a "tidy up" I have to re learn the meaning of the word "gripping" as it is used in so many reviews. None of this book was gripping except when Hugh gripped the wheel in the car the night of the accident!For me not one of the characters were likable. Simon, who was well educated and a Solicitor, should have had a dunces hat on him throughout the book (at least that is how I imagined him!) Claire did'nt know whether she was coming or going or who she wanted to be with, was lack luster with no personality! When she brought the pink flip flops into Simon in prison because they were the only ones she could get in his size is where the book took a serious downturn for me.Is there a woman in this word who would bring her Husband a pair of pink flip flops into the "joint"She or Simon were unfamiliar with prison jargon and him in the legal system!, Anyone who reads would know most of these words (like
lag etc) I thought Ben was going to be tied up someway in some sort of conspiracy but all he was doing was hiding a few condoms! Badly written,childish,unbelievable disappointing book! I have taken to reading the 1,2 or 3 star reviews in the future because I actually think they are far more realistic!!

The Four Streets
The Four Streets

1.0 out of 5 stars Self serving and patronizing, 21 May 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
Just finished reading this book (thank goodness) and I found it so boring and badly written. It reminded me of when a school child is asked to stand up to read in class and they read in this monotone dead pan voice. I ended up reading the book this way just to get to the end of it! I felt that there were too many characters and none of them were developed enough. I was trying to see where reviewers found it "gripping" and a "page turner" Surely not! I would say "patronizing" instead of 'heart warming" Being from Ireland, the whole thing just left me feeling that though the Irish went to Liverpool in their droves at that time, this in no way portrayed them in a proper manner. Glad I only paid 29 pence for it but would'nt mind getting it back!!!!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2014 10:46 PM BST

Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf

2.0 out of 5 stars ITS ALL IN THE REVIEWS, 17 May 2014
This review is from: Lone Wolf (Kindle Edition)
Just finished this book and was really was very disappointed. I think that Jodi Picoult can be a really hit and miss with me. Because I loved some of her books I feel I always have to read the next one. I have given 2 stars because of the research that was done into the lives and habitat of wolves, and, when to turn off the life saving machine when someone is in a vegetative come.The story of the wolves bored me to death and whether to turn off the machine left me caring not very much as well.I think the problem was that none of the main characters were very interesting and probably the most interesting character was lying in a bed in the hospital in a coma!! Even though every 3rd chapter was reverting back to his life with the wolves you always knew that this man was as good as dead and for me this did not work. Cara got on my nerves, I could'nt figure Edward at all and the ex wife was too milk and watery!! I thought some of the reviews were great and these reviewers just liked the the analogy of the comparison between wolf packs and family. I did not. Just not good enough!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3