Profile for Roger Sharp > Reviews

Content by Roger Sharp

Roger Sharp (Kenley, Surrey, England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
10 x SMALL MAILING PACKING CARDBOARD BOXES 4x4x4" CUBE
10 x SMALL MAILING PACKING CARDBOARD BOXES 4x4x4" CUBE
Offered by Packaging.Products.Direct
Price: 3.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent in all regards - strength, weight, delivery time., 8 May 2014
From time-to-time my business needs packaging and mailing boxes in all sorts of sizes at no notice. You would think buying a few cardboard boxes would be easy but, as anyone who does this will know, it isn't.

I have just had my first delivery from this company, Global Packaging, and I will be using them in future for all our needs in this area.

They have an astonishingly wide range of packaging, storage and mailing products. The boxes I bought are excellent. I was able to buy exactly the right size, which means a minimum of internal space to pack around the product, they are strong but not heavy (cutting down on postage cost) and they arrived with free UK delivery within a a few days.

I know I sound as if I have shares in the company (I don't!) but if you knew just how much time over the last five years I've spent trying to find the packaging I want at a price I can afford you would understand just how happy I am!

5 x 8" CUBE S/W CARDBOARD MAILING POSTAL BOXES 8X8X8"
5 x 8" CUBE S/W CARDBOARD MAILING POSTAL BOXES 8X8X8"
Offered by Globe Packaging
Price: 3.80

Attraction Magnets: 12 Best Conversation Topics for Dating and Pickup
Attraction Magnets: 12 Best Conversation Topics for Dating and Pickup
Price: 0.77

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly odious.................., 6 May 2014
Junk. Vile. Deceptive. Manipulative. Creepy. Repellent. As you can see, I loved it. As it happens I'm doing some research into this kind of book which is linked to all sorts of other ways to extract a few quid out of you. They are all rubbish and I wish I had never agreed to do it.

If you really "want the girl" the best of the bunch I've seen is by a women, Marni Kinrys. Actually I think there may be two.

As a service to us all when I've finished the odious task I'll stick up a web page on the subject for free. Actual free. Nothing to sell. I have found out some interesting stuff that's good for boy and girl and works. It's based on David Wong's blog - "harsh truths that will make you a better person". It's well worth a look. Guys, here's a hint - be interesting and pay attention.

Sir David Frost: Hollywood Greats: Shirley MacLaine (Sir David Frost Hollywood Lege)
by David Frost
Price: 7.44

3.0 out of 5 stars Mines a port and lemon........, 6 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I know nothing about Shirley MacLaine and was curious to how Frost interviewed her.

I gave up listening half way through because the recording is so very poor. It's been cut and chopped around with a meat axe, with random moments of silence. It sounds like they are at opposite ends of the bar at my local.

You'd have to be one of Shirley's top 100 fans to buy this. It's a shame.

The Business of Being Social: A Practical Guide to Harnessing the power of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn & YouTube for all businesses
by David Taylor
Price: 11.19

3.0 out of 5 stars A good overview......, 6 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I feel this is not a "Practical Guide to harness the power etc.", but a rather a good overview of what is available. The paradox of Social Media is that although it's simple to understand products like like Twitter, "simple" does not equate to "easy" to implement. Many people view "Social" as just another form of advertising, which it is not. "Social" can be whatever you want it to be, from something to which lip service is paid up to a cornerstone of an organisation's activities. It's essential you define your objectives before you start or disaster beckons.

Implementing any one of these social media products so that you achieve the results you seek is not trivial. It costs serious money. These social platforms do not exist to grow your business, they exist to make money for their shareholders. Your company's needs and wants will not be of primary importance to them. It's up to you to conceive and implement a strategy that works and for that you'll need help - help from companies such as the author's.

At an SME level many times "social" is an area of business where ethical standards are casually suspended - if not thrown away. If I had a pound for every director who has told me that he just can't find the right person to think his most erudite thoughts and blog/tweet them I'd be a damn richer fellow than I am. The situation becomes so much worse when these functions are outsourced to the near/far east. Half of China will soon be arguing against the other half. These are the organisations that blog, tweet, facebook & LinkedIn for hard cash. Ask yourself: Is it sensible to maintain LinkedIn friends of over 20000 - just in case. In fact just in case you want something from them. As "social" grows it takes time away from many of the core aspects & values of the business process you used to have, much to the disappointment of everyone.

These companies are often relatively small and used to maintain a firewall around their customer base and fight to the last man to keep the competition out. "Social" can dilute resources and eventually leave these relationship in tatters - there are only so many hours in the day.

In conclusion, you can't play at "social". You either do it properly with a guiding hand or leave it for later when time and resources are all available. If you do it half-cock you can be absolutely certain the truth will out and it won't be pity. You'll achieve virtually nothing.

One area of "social" that is often overlooked is the possibility of qualifying your customers based on knowledge based systems that trawl the internet for every scrap of information on a can sound when the client is reading your email and then it's a good a time to phone him.

In conclusion, this book is a good overview on what the products do and accompanied by some ideas on how they might be used. It's a tad misleading as it infers you'll soon know enough to do it yourself and this is disappointing.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2014 1:52 AM BST

Once Bad Intentions: An Urban Love Story of Triumph and Redemption
Once Bad Intentions: An Urban Love Story of Triumph and Redemption
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So intriguing I'm re-reading it now..., 5 May 2014
I found "Once Bad Intentions: An Urban Love Story of Triumph and Redemption." such an intriguing book that after a couple of days I wanted to read it again, and that's a rare thing indeed. I have the attention span of a goldfish. When I've finished for the second time I think I'll be better placed to reflect on what it's truly about and be able to review it properly.

The Negotiator in You: In Life (BBC Audio)
The Negotiator in You: In Life (BBC Audio)
by Joshua N. Weiss
Price: 7.53

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire, Dreadful, Awful.... and excellent for two things.., 5 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Negative reviews aren't popular and there is normally something good to say about most things but this is the example that proves the rule.

This CD is excellent if you want to either a)hang it in the chicken coop to amuse the hens or b)you're a poor sleeper - 5 minutes of it and you'll be fast away.

The author/narrator drones on in a nasal monotone with no inflection. He can't be bothered to use real-life examples - just pretend imaginary ones between Jack and Jean, John and Gill etc. When addressing us on how his CD may help the family he says it offers "essential strategic tools" to use on them. Oh, Lordy, lordy. Heaven help us all. If I deployed these tools on my family they'd shove right back up my bottom. Some of his examples to key points are specific to the USA. I could go on but it's pointless.

He claims to be a "leading expert in negotiation". Checking wiki, I found that he really is. I have no idea why he thought this junk would help anyone. I did listen to the whole ghastly thing. It's a salutary lesson on how not to do it. I won't be taking him up on his free offer of an online workbook. I'm so hacked off with losing 45 minutes of my life I can't even face correcting the grammar of this review. Sorry.

The Negotiator in You: At Work (BBC Audio)
The Negotiator in You: At Work (BBC Audio)
by Joshua N. Weiss
Price: 7.23

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly dire but useful for two things........., 5 May 2014
This CD is excellent if you want to either a)hang in the chicken coop to amuse the hens or b)you're a poor sleeper - 5 minutes of it and you'll be fast away.

The author/narrator drones on in a nasal monotone with no inflection. He can't be bothered to use real-life examples - just pretend imaginary ones. When addressing how his CD may help the family he says it offers "essential strategic tools" to use on them. Oh, Lordy, lordy. Heaven help us all. Some of his examples to key points are specific to the USA. I could go on but it's pointless.

By the way I did listen to the whole ghastly thing. It's a salutary lesson on how not to do it.

Neto
Neto
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A steal., 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Neto (Audio CD)
I have no idea why Jose Neto isn't the star he should be.He has immense talent, performs well, but.... For whatever reason he's never taken off. His other album "Days of Thunder" is in my all time top ten. This doesn't quite hit the spot that "Day of Thunder" did but nethertheless it's good, enjoyable stuff.

Marmitek Invisible Control 6 Infrared Extender
Marmitek Invisible Control 6 Infrared Extender
Price: 58.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Make sure the cable is long enough to reach your kit....., 30 Mar 2014
My mistake in buying this was that I didn't check the length of cable that the main sender is attached to. It wasn't long enough and couldn't be extended. Otherwise it's good quality gear. (I had to use the slightly more expensive version sold by Keene which did the job.)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2014 5:41 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20