Profile for Emma > Reviews

Content by Emma

Emma

Macleod's Clinical Examination: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 13e
Macleod's Clinical Examination: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 13e
by Graham Douglas BSc(Hons) MBChB FRCP(Ed)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent improvement on an old favourite, 5 Aug. 2013
Macleod's is an old favourite with medical students. This newer edition is slightly larger than the previous edition and multiple changes have been made. To keep up with online developments they have increased the amount of online content and video content, which is always beneficial as it can be easier to explain by watching rather than reading.

The main changes in this edition are extended and new chapters in the examination in specific situations; the frail elderly, assessment for anaesthesia and sedation and the febrile adult. The babies and children chapter has also been extensivly added to. These additional chapters definitly take the book from being purely for medical students to being an indispensible aid for new FY1s starting on the ward. I would go as far to say as it is worth buying the book purely for the chapter one examinination of babies and children as it is very detailed and covers everything that a junior doctor working in paediatrics and A and E needs to know.

The standard chapters have been revised, more pictures have been added. The text in general has remained the same.

The final chapter on OCSE's is the newest addition to the book. In previous editions the OSCE stations were within the chapters on that particular system. These have been removed and a whole chapter added. Unfortunatly this is the only part that lets the book down, as it doesn't have the detail that the previous editions stations within the system chapters had. I think the idea of having a chapter, but it needs more specific stations and how to tackle them.

This doesn't detract from the textbook at all. It is an excellent text, with many improvements on the previous edition and definitly bridges the gap between Medical Student and Junior Doctor.

Competing interests: I was involved in reviewing the previous edition to make improvement on this edition and recieved a free copy of the above edition.

Hutchison's Clinical Methods: An Integrated Approach to Clinical Practice With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 23e (Hutchinson's Clinical Methods)
by Michael Glynn MA MD FRCP FHEA ILTM

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitly worth adding to your bookshelf, 12 Aug. 2012
This is a brilliant book. It is split into 4 sensible sections; basic examination, assessment of particular groups e.g. children, women and psychiatry patients, basic systems i.e. CVS, resp, abdo and then clinical specialties.
The book doesn't just cover clinical examination, it takes you through history taking for that system, relevant anatomy, investigations and findings. It is packed with information, diagrams and pictures, which all help to clarify what you should be looking for. The only criticism I have is that the information is given in long paragraphs which can make reading it a little difficult. I feel it might have been easier to digest if the text had been separated and if at the end of each chapter there was a summary of the examination. However it is well worth ploughing through the text because it is very high quality. There is an excellent section on ECG's explaining how to read them and what changes you get with different conditions.
The pictures are colour, and they have used pictures of x-rays, diagnostic tests and clinical signs throughout.
The ophthalmology section has really good pictures of the fundi and associated conditions, which is probably one of the best I've seen in a clinical examination book.
A really great book, and defiantly worth adding to the book shelf.

Practical Paediatrics: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 7e
Practical Paediatrics: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 7e
by Michael South

4.0 out of 5 stars Really useful but would probably use Lister Sunflower book as first choice, 12 Aug. 2012
The first thing to note about this textbook was it was written for students in Australia and New Zealand, which means that although there are some very interesting sections on jelly stings, spider bites, indigenous culture and health, they are not particularly relevant to students studying in the UK.
Having said this, the book is very detailed and in my opinion has more than enough information for undergraduate medicine. It covers all the major areas, first with an introductory chapter on how to examine that system, what signs you are looking for, relevant investigations and treatments. It then goes onto describe in detail the conditions that affect that system.
My only criticism of the book is that there is a lot of text, which is mainly divided into paragraphs. The book also only uses one colour, which I found meant that some of the diagrams weren't as clear as other paediatric textbooks I've used. I think this is particularly important in chapters such as the cardiovascular chapter where you are looking at heart defects, a picture is much easier to understand than words.
The online resources are good, there are question banks on each chapter true or false to test yourself on. The only problem is they don't give feedback on the questions you just find out if you've got the question right or wrong.
Overall I thought this was a really useful textbook, but it probably wouldn't be my first choice for a paediatric textbook for a UK medical degree.

Gray's Basic Anatomy: with STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 1e (Grays Anatomy for Students)
by Richard Drake PhD FAAA

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but very similar to Gray's Anatomy, 28 Jun. 2012
The first thing I think it is important to point out is that this book is not much different to Gray's Anatomy (1st edition). It has nearly all of the same pictures and the text is virtually identical. The big difference with this I thought would be the online content, which had a lot of promise. Sadly when I went through the online content there wasn't as much of it as I thought there would be, the number of questions was quite limited, the case studies were very short and had no additional images with them.
The good points are though that this book has all the pictures from gray's Anatomy which are fantastic I don't think there are better diagrams for anatomy than Gray's. The content is fantastic, really clear and concise. I paritculalry like how they include relevant clinical information in separate boxes and also have sections on imaging. The index in this basic edition is much clearer and easier to use than previous editions of Gray's anatomy. It is an excellent book, but I don't think it is worth buying both Gray's anatomy and Basic Gray's anatomy. I think it is more worthwhile to buy the full Gray's anatomy which has longer sections on surface anatomy.

Crash Course: Pharmacology, 4e
Crash Course: Pharmacology, 4e
by Elisabetta Battista MBBS BSc

2.0 out of 5 stars Layout lets the text down, 7 Jun. 2012
I am student reviewer for Elsevier Publishing. There is a lot of good information in this book. My main problem was that I didn't like the layout of the book. There was too much text on the pages and it made it difficult to read the good information. The diagrams were great, I thought the communication type OSCE stations in the boxes was a brilliant idea. But I felt that the layout of the book let it down. The text was just over powering. This may be a personal thing, and other people might not be bothered by it. I think if you can get past the layout it is really useful. It gives a brief over view of pathology and physiology associated with each body system and then goes into detail about the drugs and any contraindications and side effects. Like the other crash course books, it is not really a standalone book, it is to be used as an introduction and then a revision tool.

Crash Course Anatomy, 4e
Crash Course Anatomy, 4e
by Louise Stenhouse BSc(Hons) MBChB(Hons)

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent revision tool, 7 Jun. 2012
I am a student reviewer for Elsevier publishing. The blurb on the back of this book states it provides the exam syllabus in one place, which I thought was rather a bold statement for a book to aim to cover anatomy in 270 pages. The book itself is brilliant, but I don't think it is a substitute for more detailed books such as Grey's Anatomy. It does cover the whole syllabus, but not in the depth that might be required. It is an excellent introduction to the topic and then revision for the topic, and I think it would be a useful addition to the pre-clinical years bookshelf. I think one of the best bits is that is has clinical boxes which show you how the anatomy is relevant to day to day medicine, which in the early years of med school is very helpful. It also has the really useful question chapter at the back of the book, and it also covers relevant radiology to the chapters which is very helpful. My only criticism is the pictures, which although very clear because they are not colour can be a little bit difficult to interpret, but this wouldn't put me off buying the book.

Kumar & Clark's Medical Management and Therapeutics, 1e (Elsevier Handbook Series)
by Parveen Kumar

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to rival the oxford handbook of clinical skills, 12 Sept. 2011
At last a book that can be compared to the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine. I was a little dubious as to whether this book would be too wordy as I personally have found that although Kumar and Clark Clinical Medicine is very thorough it is not very readable.
In this handbook the editors have taken the important points and then focussed on diagnosis, treatment and management. All things that we are not taught as medical students and things that we have to be able to do as junior doctors.
This book is comprehensive, easily readable, a good size to have in your pocket and exceptionally thorough.
My only criticism's are it also doesn't cover dermatology, paediatrics or obstetrics and gynaecology. The cover isn't the most appealing and there are a couple of small errors, but as this is a first edition I'm such the next edition will iron these out. But these are only small criticisms.
This book will be very useful in my revision for finals and once I have qualified as a reference on the wards.

Pathology Illustrated, 7e
Pathology Illustrated, 7e
by Robin Reid BSc MB ChB FRCPath

5.0 out of 5 stars Medical student review, 20 May 2011
This book was brilliant. I wish I had discovered it earlier. I think that in understanding how to treat a condition we need to know why it is not working in the first place. This book describes all the pathology we would ever need to know in a simple, clear and concise way through the use of pictures, diagrams and text. It is a very readable text book and gives you a firm grounding in the underlying disease mechanism making it easy to understand why a patient with x, develops symptoms z and y and therefore why we treat them the way we do.
It is a pathology textbook so don't expect it to have treatment in it and possibly the only downside are there are no colour photos. But the diagrams are excellent. I have used it intensely in preparation for my last exam alongside oxford handbook for management of conditions.
Fantastic book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2012 1:08 AM GMT

Crash Course: Gastrointestinal System Third Edition (Crash Course - UK)
Crash Course: Gastrointestinal System Third Edition (Crash Course - UK)
by Rusheng Chew

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent revision aid, 21 April 2008
I think the Crash course series is an excellent revision series for students in their pre-clinical years. Obviously being as its designed as revision guide it doesn't have quite the detail that other textbooks has, but what it lacks in detail it makes up in the breadth of topics it covers. I struggle to fault it for revision purposes. I particularly like the fact it has revision questions in multiple formats, I think this is very useful for revision and testing what you actually know. I think the layout is also good, and doesn't flood you with information. The text follows a logical order basically anatomy and embryology, physiology, pathology and then pharmacology.
I've found this book to be enormous help for my mid-semester exam and I know it well help for my end of term exam. An excellent text which has very little wrong with it.

1000 Questions and Answers from Kumar & Clark's Clinical Medicine (Kumar & Clark Family)
by Parveen Kumar CBE BSc MD FRCP FRCP(Edin) Professor

2.0 out of 5 stars A good idea in theory but difficult to use, 21 April 2008
I was really excited to review this book and had high hope and expectations. Although the content of the book is both interesting and relevant the layout of the book makes it not user friendly. The chapters correspond with Clinical Medicine - Kumar and Clark, which makes referencing between the 2 straightforward. There is also an excellent index which makes it very easy to find what you are looking for. However being as the book is intended for interest and not to test yourself, I found having all the questions and then all the answers annoying and difficult to use, involving flicking backwards and forwards. I feel it would have been better to have a question followed by its answer.
In conclusion I think the concept of the book if very good, but I think a better layout would make it much more useful and easier to use.