Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "S Reeves" (Essex, UK)

Lightfingers
Lightfingers

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun, light London Urban Fantasy. Very readable!, 26 April 2015
This review is from: Lightfingers (Kindle Edition)
Would give this 3.5 but as I can't and am feeling generous this goes up to 4/5. A light, very action based urban fantasy set in modern London. This London is not a character in itself as for some other recent urban fantasies but is still a realistic setting. Anybody who has read urban fantasy where the Fae is involved will not find much new here, though it is well done. Did like the central character, a different Fae 'species' than what is normally used. Though with so many types of Fae it isn't hard! The characters themselves were decently fleshed out apart from the bad guy (though maybe should say the main bad guy, this is after all a Fae story!), but that in itself was part of the story. The central concept was a little muddled, but with the main character not fully understanding it either it didn't really detract from the story. Have seen something similar done before though. Finished it in an afternoon and found it an enjoyable read. MILD SPOILER WARNING! What I did really appreciate though and what was different was the complete lack of a love interest for the main character. For once there was no mooning over a possible man/woman in her life (apart from friends), she just got on with job. Proof that things can get done without a love interest getting in the away! Will definitely read the next instalment.

Yeoman Long Handled Bulb Planter, soft grip handle
Yeoman Long Handled Bulb Planter, soft grip handle

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong tool but not ideal on wet clay soil, 2 Dec. 2014
Though I have not used it much the planter does seem strong and well built and there was no give even though I was using it on very wet clay.

I did have difficulty with removing the soil plug. I used it the correct way, in that after you have created your first hole; with the plug of soil still in the planter; you start on the next and that action pushes the first plug out. The first time this sort of worked. But after that there was no movement. I still managed to create holes but this was by compressing/moving the soil as if the planter was a giant dibber!

I believe the problem may have been the soil and the conditions I was working in. The soil has an extremely high proportion of clay to it and it was very wet (and in fact still raining!). But unfortunately I was on a tight schedule and had no choice.

I'm still giving this 4 stars as it appears to be a quality item especially for the price and would probably be ideal for a more humus rich soil or even if the clay soil were dryer. Plus I still did manage to create holes if in a slightly unconventional manner!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good icing - used it to cover a small cake, 2 Dec. 2014
Good icing - used it to cover a small cake. Rolled it out thinner than I should have but it managed to hold together and only had a few lines at the corners which I managed to smooth back out. Held up well in a warm house after too.

Colour is a good dark green - perfect for Christmas trees so true to it's name!

Though not part of the prime delivery program delivery was still free and within a couple of days which I was pleased with.

Nobby Rod with Toy, 46 cm
Nobby Rod with Toy, 46 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars But I just tied it back onto the rod and has been fine since, if not quite as pretty, 2 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Nobby Rod with Toy, 46 cm (Misc.)
This was a big hit with the cat (both ends!). Was worried it was going to be a bit flimsy (my cat is quite rough and ready). It was to a certain degree - one of the felt fish on the end of the ribbons came off, which I wasn't worried about. But also the cord detached from the rod - bit more of a problem! But I just tied it back onto the rod and has been fine since, if not quite as pretty.

Be also aware of the bell as I know some cats/cat owners aren't fond of the noise. My cat has a great time trying to bite this off but hasn't managed yet so it is well attached.

So yes, could be better made but considering the price it is fine.

Catit Tiger Design Patterned Scratching Board with Catnip, Lounge
Catit Tiger Design Patterned Scratching Board with Catnip, Lounge

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful protection for furniture and carpets!, 2 Dec. 2014
This was bought to add another scratching board to the 2 my cat already has - anything to prevent shredding of the carpet! Already have this design and found it works well. My cat uses scratching boards regularly, especially after a nap so I found it useful to position them close to her favourite sleeping spots. I didn't ever need to add the catnip (my cat can take or leave it anyway, she doesn't go loopy like some) but she was trained (by putting her on them when she went to scratch and also scratching it myself) and picked it up very quickly as a kitten so that may have helped.

Generally hard wearing though the sides from the board I bought a few months ago have come off. This doesn't really effect it though. My first I bought over 10 months ago and has been well used, even though she is an outdoor cat. You can see the damage but there is still plenty of wear left.

She also loved to sleep on this when she was younger. Fully grown to a tall 5kg cat she is a bit too big for it now - doesn't stop her from trying though!

Knocked a star off because the one problem with this is its weight and shape. This board is just bit too light and lifts from the floor when she scratches making it a bit awkward. The other cat board I have is an open rectangular box shape with no ends and is a lot more stable plus due to it being flat and having convenient sides she can still stretch out and sleep on it but feel nice and secure (she does have her own bed...)!

Ancol Acticat Cat Play Tunnel
Ancol Acticat Cat Play Tunnel

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sturdy item, 29 Jan. 2014
Along with her mouse, this must be my 5 month old kittens favourite toy. It has also grown with her. She loves running though it and it has stood up to her constant attack of claws and teeth well - there are no rips in the material and even the ball is still attached to the string and the tunnel. She has now got to an age where she launches herself across the outside to land on it and diving underneath it. So far it has held up to this rather boisterous play and has always returned instantly to its shape. Also having the 3 'arms' means it it very stable and the kitten has yet to tip it over (give her time though...). It has toggles so it can easily be compressed down for storage (though it's constantly out at the moment!).

One of the best cat purchases I have made!

Vico Litter Tray, with Dome - Purple / Lilac 40 ◊ 40 ◊ 56 cm
Vico Litter Tray, with Dome - Purple / Lilac 40 ◊ 40 ◊ 56 cm
Offered by Pet Connection

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for it's purpose, 29 Jan. 2014
Thank goodness for litter trays with covers as my kitten hasn't quite got her aim under control and seems to enjoy attempting to dig for Australia or play with the plastic liner. This neatly controls all that. The size is better and though not quite as neat and small as a previous lidded tray we had (which was from the 80's, so that may be why!) it is far less bulky than some I've seen. The 5 month old kitten has loads of room and I suppose as long as you haven't got a large cat it will be fine. The sides of the tray are high - I bought the extra giant litter liners to fit. The door to it isn't very well fitted though, so much that when it was attached it used to hang with quite a large gap. I took it off anyway. Not sure whether this cuts down on smells at all, but least it is out of sight. It does have some sort of attachment on the inside under the handle, think this may be meant to reduce smells or maybe you could add a filter here. Not really any instructions though.
Anyway, apart those little niggles this is a neat sturdy item that serves its purpose well.

Skinneeez Skinneeez Mouse with Catnip
Skinneeez Skinneeez Mouse with Catnip
Offered by Vitamin Chaps

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent hard wearing toy, 29 Jan. 2014
My dad calls this the boneless mouse, but my kitten adores it. Definitely her favourite small toy. I think the texture really attracts her plus it's light and soft but not bulky so she can easily bat it and carry it around. For the amount she has played with it (quite viciously at times) it has held up excellently, with only the felt nose being sacrificed so far. Not sure how much it is about the catnip though as she doesn't seem to show a lot of interest in the stuff, at least not for long!

At this price, much rather the mouse than my hands!

Fledgling (The Dragonrider Chronicles Book 1)
Fledgling (The Dragonrider Chronicles Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable (YA) dragon adventure!, 7 Jan. 2014
I would really like to give this novel 3.5 stars rather than 3 (or 7/10). I did actually rather enjoy it, but I'm harsh with the stars and will only give out 5 for those I think are exceptional.

This book, though pretty light and definitely more of a YA, was well paced and contained an interesting story that did a good job of twisting and freshening up the fantasy clichés. It made them enjoyable to read (and let's face it, they exist for a reason, all fantasy books will have some!) plus the author managed a few new ideas of her own.

I wish a few more of the characters had been better fleshed out, some of them felt like charicutures and there just to move the story along. Also I would like to have seen more of this land and it's people. We only touched the surface in what was happening here in what seems like a pretty harsh but refreshingly unapologetic world. Perhaps a slightly longer tale would have managed this? This book had a first novel feel to it as well, but still managed to avoid the more unforgivable errors and instead carried you along in the adventure - maybe the short length helped here!

The main protagonist could have become annoying, but thankfully the author managed to keep him engageing (just, at times!).

Yes, there were a few grammatical errors, but few compared to others I've read and they did not make me flinch and stop reading as others have (then again, I'm not particularly good myself at grammar!).

All in all an enjoyable light fantasy adventure that I will be buying the sequel to and keeping an eye on this author for future books.

The Last Swordmage: The Swordmage Trilogy: Book 1 (Magic of Solendrea)
The Last Swordmage: The Swordmage Trilogy: Book 1 (Magic of Solendrea)

2.0 out of 5 stars Felt I was reading a draft, 28 Oct. 2013
I must admit, I am a fairly harsh reviewer, but as I have read an awful lot of fantasy/sci-fi and am a slightly older reader now I feel I can be! The story outline wasn't bad, though a bit clichéd, it did have some good ideas. The problem was more that it felt like a draft copy. Sometimes the chapters felt out of place, in the wrong order. In other places it felt like there were a few chapters missing. I couldn't connect to the characters; as soon as I was getting close there was a huge lurch forward and sometimes a change in lead. I felt like 'and months later' was missing between parts of the story. Much was left unexplained and not in a good way. The characters, especially the main female, Tia, seemed to make large jumps in their overall arc and what felt like could have been interesting secondary characters were left unexplored. Also the major fight? Terribly done. Way too short, no explanation of why things happened and little given on what was happening.
This feels like a wasted opportunity as there was an interesting story here under it all. Also the technical side of it, the English itself wasn't bad and I didn't spot too many errors (though I'm not the best at that as you may be able to tell here!).
All in all, I wish the author had spent more time on it, telling us the story, not letting us infer what happened.