Profile for veronica mac dermott > Reviews

Content by veronica mac d...

veronica mac dermott

Workhouse; a Victorian Girl's Diary 1871 (My Story)
Workhouse; a Victorian Girl's Diary 1871 (My Story)
by Pamela Oldfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!!!!, 17 Feb. 2013
This book is by far the best of the my story collection books I've read, but that doesn't mean I didn't like the other ones I loved them!( As you will see from my other reviews.) This book was so fascinating I've never read anything like it before. A rich young woman and her mother visit the workhouse regularly. They meet a very interesting misunderstood daredevil girl.They take her in and introduce her to a bath and hot food.
I feel like this book is they reason I am reading the rest of the collection. And I hope that other children and maybe even some teenagers take interest in this book for it is one of the most fascinating, realistic, interesting book. And I must say that I was very dismayed when the book ended!
Signed Molly Rose Mac Dermott.

Blitz - a Wartime Girl's Diary 1940 - 1941 (My Story)
Blitz - a Wartime Girl's Diary 1940 - 1941 (My Story)
by Vince Cross
Edition: Diary

5.0 out of 5 stars Tragic and life changing story of children all around the world, 17 Feb. 2013
This story is perfect to start with if you are reading the my story story collections, which I am. Blitz is a brilliant story for children like myself to learn about war and famine times. In this story a poor girl and her younger brother gets emigrated as there mother is internally injured. They go to stay with there grandfather who thinks children should stay in there right place which is anywhere he isn't and that children shouldn't speak unless there spoken to.
I think that the reading is a gift and that the my story collection is the wrapping but unlike the wrapping which gets discarded the story from these books will stay with you for life! And to conclude I would like to thank all the great Authors from the wrapping of my gift.

A Girl Called Blue
A Girl Called Blue
by Marita Conlon-McKenna

5.0 out of 5 stars A girl called Blue, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: A Girl Called Blue (Paperback)
First of all I was so sorry when this book ended. This was one of the best and one of my most favourite and recent books that I've read. This book really represents how we all are so lucky and have good homes and parents, for this girl Blue lived in an orphanage and was very misunderstood. This orphanage was run by nuns who were very mean and disrespectful towards the children. Blue has a very hard life when her best friend goes missing at sea on there summer holiday. Blue tries to run a way but her favourite taxi driver and probably her new best friend takes her in. Blue still has to live in the orphanage a horrid place, but every weekend she goes out to stay with them and summers too. Marita's collection of books makes it vivid that she is a gifted writer. And if she was to read this there would be one thing I would say to her " Well Done"! Signed Molly Rose Mac Dermott.

Young Nanny (My Story)
Young Nanny (My Story)
by Frances Mary Hendry

5.0 out of 5 stars Young Nanny, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Young Nanny (My Story) (Paperback)
Young Nanny is one of the most interesting books I ever read, and trust me I've read a lot of books.
At the start of the book I felt quite confused and frustrated at all these names being thrown at me. But I tried again, and when you really get into it, it feels like you are police officer and you are investigation something and you have person on the inside spying for you. In this book you get top class diary entry's about Crystal Palace in the process of building, and a menacing little boy who ruins everybody's fun and lands himself in jail.
All the my story books are very fascinating to read and there are one of my favourite types of books. And I am very sure that anybody who likes history and learning about famine and war as much as I do will love these books no doubt! Signed Molly Rose Mac Dermott.

Fields of Home: Children of the Famine
Fields of Home: Children of the Famine
by Marita Conlon-McKenna

5.0 out of 5 stars The Famine Trilogy, 15 Feb. 2013
This was the first of Marita's books I'd read. I adored it so much that I went on to read the whole trilogy .
Every time I read one of her books I am dazed by how much I feel like I've known the characters my whole life,
And how utterly fantastic and realistic the books are. It is sad to say that I think I've read all her books now. And will miss all the great characters and places that I have learned about in her books over the years. Some of my personal favourites are " The Famine Trilogy" and " A girl called Blue" . The Famine Trilogy is so moving and quite true. It's one of my favourites and I'm sure it will be yours too