Profile for C. Barker > Reviews

Content by C. Barker

C. Barker "Soup Dragon" (London, England)

Sony Bravia KDL40W5500U 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview and 100Hz Motionflow

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy customer, 25 Jan. 2010
I chose this TV after a combination of on-line investigations and a visit to Tottenham Court Road to see the contenders in the flesh & do a little price-haggling. I was mainly considering this Sony Bravia vs. a similar Samsung, but also looked at a Sharp LED TV. Eventual choice was based on my perception of value for money - given criteria of size, refresh rate and brand name / perceived reliability.

On price, Amazon really can't be faulted - the best I could do in a shop was £100 more expensive, even before comparing delivery charges. The delivery was a day early vs. the date promised in the confirmation email, but that's most likely because I ordered on Christmas Eve, and I think the suppliers may have worked one of the bank holiday days. I'm sure this isn't normally an issue, but it could be inconvenient for people if published delivery dates are not reliable.

As for the TV itself, I have now had it for 4 weeks and the headline is that I love it. Other posters have cornered the market in extended technical reviews, so I won't go into all that. I mainly use the TV to watch broadcast telly via Sky (as opposed to watching Blu Ray etc.), and generally watch in a well-lit room, not with all the lights off - so I'm a 'normal' viewer I guess. For my purposes, both the picture quality and the sound are excellent. The TV is actually rather too big for my flat (selected with a potential house-move in mind) and as a result I'm sure I sit closer to it than the recommended distance. I was worried that this would result in a slightly pixellated effect, but I haven't noticed that at all.

As a final point: one of the other Amazon reviews is from someone who spent 15 minutes trying to work out where the socket for the power cable was. I laughed at the reviewer's expense... and then had exactly the same problem myself :) FYI, it's tucked into the right-hand-side (as you look at the back of the TV) of the recess where the cable tidy is.