Profile for Bumblebee > Reviews

Human Planet [DVD]
Human Planet [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Hurt
Offered by EagleDVD

3.0 out of 5 stars Like other recent documentaries... all smoke... no fire, 10 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Human Planet [DVD] (DVD)
This could have been amazing if it was just a slide-show. Like many recent documentaries the footage is great, filmed with ability and of course in HD. Everything is put together in a way that leaves you with your mouth wide open. It's a stunning view, but other than that it barely gives you anything. The commentary is ridiculous, how it concentrates on one individual is often insulting, in my opinion, of the often cooperative work done by the people being filmed. I can see many people finding it easier to relate to what they are seeing this way, but as a scientist I find it a waste of what could have been a good opportunity to spread a little more culture. This ended up being a badly told story, superficial and barely educational.

I'm not saying "Don't watch it", on the contrary, but don't expect to reach its end, get up from your chair and say "Wow! I really learnt alot today".

Tribe : Complete BBC Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD]
Tribe : Complete BBC Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruce Parry

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes you want to learn more... that's for sure, 16 May 2011
The show doesn't take exactly the best approach possible, but I doubt (and hope) that it ever meant to be a serious antropological documentary. It's true, as most people say, that we usually get only Bruce's opinions and points of view of what we see these tribes do, but I took this as a plus for the series. I found myself interested in how Bruce Parry interacted with this people and how he was affected by the experience, it was basically an antropological study on how a particular western man is affected by new cultures he tries to understand.
Obviously in the short time he passed with each tribe his interest in a particular ceremony or practice looked narrow-minded and a typical "look at the exotic thingie", but I guess that's one of the downsides of the time limitations they were forced to have.
The main reason I think this show is a must see is that it really gets you interested in all this... it makes you want to get up from your chair and go read and learn as much you can about this amazing people and their ways of life. So despite all its shortcomings... watch it.

The Evolution of Social Wasps
The Evolution of Social Wasps
by Raghavendra Gadagkar

5.0 out of 5 stars A good scientific book about social wasps, 14 Sept. 2010
Well written, interesting, stimulating and information rich. Not a book for everyone, but certainly a book for every entomologist interested in social wasps or sociality among insects in general.