Profile for Dr Nicholas Outram > Reviews

Content by Dr Nicholas Outram

Dr Nicholas Outram

Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years (Hardcover edition)
Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years (Hardcover edition)
by David A. Goodman
Price: 13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves this book, 14 May 2014
My son has just taking an interested in watching Star Trek, and loves this book. It's not an encyclopaedia, more a historical account.

Kenwood kMix KMX52 Stand Mixer - Almond Cream
Kenwood kMix KMX52 Stand Mixer - Almond Cream
Price: 269.00

5.0 out of 5 stars We use this all the time - it's been excellent, 14 May 2014
We use this mixer all the time. Despite fairly heavy use, it still looks really good and works perfectly 2 years on (and counting).

Our pizza dough is now better than ever thanks for this device. The dough hook is really substantial. The K mixer and balloon whisk are equally effective at their respective tasks. Setting the operating height of each attachment (when new) is suggested and a one-off task. I did tweak ours slightly to get as close to the bowl as possible. It's really easy to do.

For some reason the numbers on the speed dial have worn off (might just be an issue with ours). Kenwood immediately offered to replace it, but as we don't want to part with it while it's being fixed, we are putting up with what is a minor inconvenience.

Black & Decker Workmate WM301
Black & Decker Workmate WM301
Price: 26.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful, 14 May 2014
I've made great use of this. Assembly was ok. I am aware some others have reported issues with assembly. Armed with a rubber mallet, I had no such issues.

Good value for money. I've had others which were nothing like as strong and ended up being re-cycled. I hope to keep this one much longer.

New Super Mario Bros U (Wii U)
New Super Mario Bros U (Wii U)
Offered by findprice
Price: 35.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Great coop play, 14 May 2014
Aside from the HD graphics, what my family love most about this is the cooperative play on this game.

As everyone knows, when it comes to video games, it's not long before the kids leave us parents standing. Now we parents can take part again, by taking the supportive role in coop mode using the Gamepad. Using the Gamepad, another player can block or stun enemies, place platforms strategically so that the kids can progress through the levels and reach new areas.

It's still frantic fun of course, and some times I join in as player 3 or 4.. well, I try anyway ;o)

Highly Recommended, especially if you love Mario games.

Nintendo Wii U 32GB The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD Premium Pack - Black (Nintendo Wii U)
Price: 229.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Nintendo console yet in my view, 14 May 2014
Having had a Wii since 2005, this feels like a major spec boost. I think this is one of those products I had to try to really get it. I was skeptical at first, but having tried it, it's great. The kids absolutely love the gamepad and Zelda WindWaker HD. It has even got the kids away from their beloved Minecraft, which is saying something!

With this bundle, you get everything you need to get going, right out of the box including the console itself, Zelda themed gamepad, charger+dock, HDMI cable, sensor bar etc. Windwaker HD comes as a download (there is a download code inside the box).

Until now, I did not realise how useful it is to be able to decouple from the TV screen and play just on the gamepad. Sometimes my kids just prefer to play that way as well.

Each player can have their own account with the WiiU, with their own messages, friends, game levels etc. which has proven to be a welcome improvement over the Wii.

There are no Wiimotes included (or needed for WindWaker), which is ideal as I already have 5 (presumably this has been a way to keep costs down). The old ones (and motion plus) are compatible of course, and I've tried them with other games.

We've since bought Super Mario Bro for Wii U. The coop play through the gamepad means Dad (that's me) can join in and actually help the kids through placing platforms and stunning enemies - frantic, but brilliant as normally the kids leave me standing.

Although good, it's not about the hardware for me, but the software. As my family see it, Nintendo still put the same passion, attention to detail and effort into games for younger kids, which as a parent, is very appreciated. Personally, I can't think of anyone else who comes close in this respect.

WIFI 150MBPS WIRELESS ADAPTOR 802.11 B G N LAN NETWORK MINI USB DONGLE ADAPTER
WIFI 150MBPS WIRELESS ADAPTOR 802.11 B G N LAN NETWORK MINI USB DONGLE ADAPTER
Offered by pcpal
Price: 3.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well on the latest Raspian (Raspberry Pi), 14 May 2014
I bought this specifically to use with a Raspberry Pi, running the latest version of Raspbian.

Plugged it in, ran the WiFi configuration tool, and had the Pi connected to my home hub (WPA/2 personal) in less than 2 mins.
Blue status light is useful.

Recommended. Great value, and I shall be buying more.

Yoshi's New Island (Nintendo 3DS)
Yoshi's New Island (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by Warby 4 Games & Gifts
Price: 30.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids love this and played right through to the very end, 14 May 2014
Even my older son loved this game (I worried it would be too young for him) - he played if from start to end (in approx. 4 days as he's very adept at platformers). Recommended if you love Nintendo games!

TP-Link TL-PA251KIT AV200+ Multi-Streaming Powerline Starter Kit with AC Pass Through (UK Plug Only)
Price: 22.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Reccomented, 14 May 2014
Really pleased how easily this was to get working out of the box, and has meant my son no longer has a poor WiFi connection in his room. I will be buying more. Great value for money and although these are not the fastest, for my machine with 10/100BaseT network interfaces, it's fine.

The only slight issue (and it was slight) I had was pairing a secure connection. It took few a few attempts to get it to work. However, it did in the end and I put it down more to 'operator error' :o)

I am going to buy more