Profile for W. Brotherston > Reviews

Content by W. Brotherston

W. Brotherston (Edinburgh)

Page: 1 | 2
Forks Over Knives (DVD) (UK Release)
Forks Over Knives (DVD) (UK Release)
Dvd ~ Joey Aucoin

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 30 Sept. 2013
I can't rate this documentary highly enough. It should be compulsory viewing as it offers a wake up call to how our diet affects our health and well-being. As the documentary points out it is owing to an evolutionary design that we are hard-wired to find unhealthy foods attractive - that's foods with high fat, sugar and salt content - as these were important when we were struggling to survive. However, in the modern world with our more docile life-styles this way of high-calorie eating is largely redundant, however, the evolutionary design leaves us vulnerable to the food companies who know how to take advantage of our inbuilt fondness for unhealthy foods.

I would say that spending 1 h 30 mins watching this film could ensure you have a long and healthy life, free from the debilitating effects of diet related illnesses. It's well worth it!

Encounter the Enlightened: Sadhguru, A Profound Mystic Of Our Times
Encounter the Enlightened: Sadhguru, A Profound Mystic Of Our Times

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly enlightened being!, 21 Feb. 2013
I don't think there's anything in this book that didn't resonate with me. Sadhguru is a truly Enlightened Being and his wisdom shines through the book. May its light help to guide you on your way!

The Spiritual Secrets of Happiness Health and Success: A Powerful and Practical Guide for Manifesting the Life You Truly Desire

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 21 Feb. 2013
This book is a down to earth guide on how to experience greater awareness of our inner being or higher self. I've read many spiritual books, but what I particularly like about this one is that Walton writes using terms that I really connected with. It is short, to the point and very effective. Happy reading!

The Fall: The Insanity of the Ego in Human History and the Dawning of A New Era
The Fall: The Insanity of the Ego in Human History and the Dawning of A New Era

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 16 Nov. 2012
This book is both a wonderfully well written and well researched study of why the human psyche is the way it is. Steve Taylor offers an impressive hypothesis to why humans are both self and globally destructive. His level of research is phenomenal - the book is worth getting just for the range of authors and books he puts you on to. The more people who read this book the better. Buy 10 copies and make sure you and whoever you give it to stick with it till the end as a solution to the world's problems is given.

Confession of a Buddhist Atheist
Confession of a Buddhist Atheist
by Stephen Batchelor

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it!, 15 April 2012
Having been a practising 'Buddhist' in a Tibetan Tradition, reading this book has left my heart-racing, my brain-bending and my spirit-soaring. It has managed to clearly articulate the doubts and reservations that I have had about the Religious, dogmatic elements of 'Buddhism' that seem to be at such odds with the undogmatic teachings of the historical Buddha. This book is so well-researched and well-written and goes into the Suttra teachings or discourses of Buddha to flesh out the man behind the myth, and his teachings on how to best weather the thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to.

One of my favourite passages of the book is where Batchelor quotes an altercation between Buddha and a disgruntled, former monk of his called Sunakkhatta. Sunakkhatta dismisively declares: "The recluse Gotama teaches a Dhamma hammered out by reasoning, following his own line of inquiry as occurs to him, and when he teaches the Dhamma to anyone, it leads him when he practises it only to the ending of pain." On being told of this criticism Gotama remearked: "Sunakkhatta is angry and his words are spoken out of anger. Thinking to discredit me he actually praises me." (p.183)

For me this beautifully encapsulates what the gist or kernel of Batchelor's book is. The Buddha taught a path that led to the end of pain; this is something that in the midst of grand Mytical assertions can easily be forgotten. That the Buddha taught a path that led to the end of pain is something truly worthy of celebration and dare I say it 'worship'. All the add ons, and cultural colour that his teachings have acquired over the centuries as they migrated through various Asian countries are unnecessary and in some regards only serve to hide the strikingly simple, but profoundly important teachings that Gotama gave, teachings that set out how one can best live a life in balance and harmony with the world around them.

I thank Stephen Batchelor from the depths of my heart and hope that his pragmatic wisdom can go some way to tempering the superstitious, ritualistic worship that is currently being endorsed in Buddha's name.

Strive diligently and be a refuge unto yourself. x x

Cheerfulness as a Life Power
Cheerfulness as a Life Power

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! I can't recommend it highly enough!, 2 April 2012
I hope the fact that this book is free makes you take a chance and download this book as I did yesterday - it was one of the best decisions i think i have made in a long time. Marden's style is sublime and he is extremely well read quoting from an eclectic range of sources and well-chosen anecdotes. This is an uplifting book and I just wish it could be read by as many people as possible. The fact that it is now available, 100 years after its first publication, for free download, will hopefully mean that it will have something of a renaissance. Download, read and enjoy a work of pure delight.

Modern Buddhism: The Path of Compassion and Wisdom - Volume 1 Sutra
Modern Buddhism: The Path of Compassion and Wisdom - Volume 1 Sutra

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 28 Mar. 2012
This book is such a clear presentation of Buddha's teachings and effectively reads like a handbook to Enlightenment. By reading it carefully and slowly digesting its profound wisdom we can transform our mind from one riddled with delusions, or mental bad habits, into that of a Buddha - hence the title of my review: amazing!

Transform Your Life: A Blissful Journey
Transform Your Life: A Blissful Journey
by Kelsang Gyatso

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing!, 15 Mar. 2012
Over the years I have read many spiritual books, but I would have to say that Transform Your Life is undoubtedly up there with the best of them. It is written in a clear, direct style with lots of beautiful and easy to understand analogies. For example, I love the analogy of how at the moment we are a bit like a balloon in the wind, being blown here and there by external situations. When things are good and seem to be going our way, we're happy, however, when something happens, or goes wrong, we immediately become unhappy. Gesh-la's book teaches us how to develop a wise, strong mind that can deal with the difficulties of life. I also love how it is a book that seeks to go to the source of the problem - our mind. It teaches how our problems are not out there, but are rather caused by 'inner enemies' or delusions. By identifying what our actual problem is we can then do something about it, which Gesh-la's book articulately teaches us how to do. Almost all the book is easy to follow even though it is teaching some profound stuff. Basically we need to learn how to change the object of our cherishing from ourselves to all living beings! No mean feat! What's great though is that Gesh-la gives practical methods on how to accomplish this. So rather than just saying 'Love thy neighbour', he actually supplies you with the techniques to make this a possibility. This is a truly fantastic book that will change your life. Buy it, read it, and allow its wisdom to seep deep into your heart.

Down The Way
Down The Way
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal, 15 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Down The Way (Audio CD)
This is an incredible album that just gets better and better with each listen.

It is an album that spans many genres and that manages to sparkle with an eclectic iridescence. In a word beautiful. It might take a few listens before it unfolds its full splendour but the best albums always do. 5 thumbs up!

The Third Jesus: How to Find Truth and Love in Today's World
The Third Jesus: How to Find Truth and Love in Today's World
by Deepak Chopra

5.0 out of 5 stars Over-flowing with Wisdom, 27 Jan. 2011
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It rescues Christ's teachings from centuries of dogma and misuse. It brings Jesus' revelations back to the level of consciousness and explains how one can follow them and progress to a state of Enlightenment. I admit, Deepak Chopra isn't for everyone and I am pretty sure that staunch Christians who believe all the dogmatic teachings of the church will no doubt feel threatened by the clear, uplifting and spiritually dynamic nature of Chopra's writing. Read with an open mind and a willingness for spiritual growth, this book will nurture and instruct in a way few books can (including the Bible!) For me this reawoke my faith in Jesus and the messages that he taught, (which is a big deal believe me). We are all God's children and as such we can all attain Christ-consciousness. Read and believe.

Page: 1 | 2