Profile for Mr. Jonathan Robin Oxley > Reviews

Content by Mr. Jonathan R...

Mr. Jonathan Robin Oxley "Jon Oxley" (Northampton, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Lost In The Dream
Lost In The Dream

4.0 out of 5 stars Good. Album of the year? Not sure......, 11 Dec 2014
This review is from: Lost In The Dream (Audio CD)
Like most people who have only just discovered this band, I thought I would take a punt with this CD after it appeared in virtually all of the music magazine's "best albums of the year" listings. It's well worth purchasing. The slightly muffled sound of this band reminds me of Lindsay Buckingham/Fleetwood Mac. I would say there are 4 or 5 absolute killer tracks - Under The Pressure, Red Eyes, An Ocean Between The Waves and, best of all, Eyes To The Wind. Why, may you ask, not the 5 stars? A couple of the songs meander without much purpose (the closing track In Reverse is superb once it gets going, but has a fairly dull pointless opening 2 minutes) and the album loses much of its momentum built up by the first 2 tracks with the extremely boring 3rd track Suffering. Suffering aside, enjoyable.

The Albums Collection Vol. 1 (1973-1984) [CD]
The Albums Collection Vol. 1 (1973-1984) [CD]

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm really pleased with this box set, 7 Dec 2014
I'm really pleased with this box set. The revelation is the remastered version of The Wild The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle, which sounds fantastic - it might even be my favourite out of the 7 albums. Never been a huge fan of The River (particularly the first disc, which has a lot of light-weight filler), but the far-superior 2nd disc sounds much fuller, particularly the stirring Drive All Night. Darkness On The Edge Of Town, an album I've always preferred to the more celebrated predecessor Born To Run, sounds richer as well. Nebraska, such an influential album, does sound a bit clearer, but loses not of its intimacy. Not sure if a Vol 2 release like this would be justified (although I'm sure the record company would disagree) but I would welcome a remaster of Tunnel Of Love.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2014 3:47 AM GMT

My Favourite Faded Fantasy
My Favourite Faded Fantasy

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this 3rd album from day 1, 15 Nov 2014
Loved this 3rd album from day 1. I was more of a fan of the second album 9 then his first offering 0, but I think producer Rick Rubin has really made these Damien Rice songs sound special and this may be the best of the 3. Obvious highlights are the title track, It Takes A Lot To Know A Man (which almost sounds like its 2 separate tracks) and the stunning last track Long Long Way.

Forever
Forever

1.0 out of 5 stars Especially after the recent fantastic Live At Rainbow release, 10 Nov 2014
This review is from: Forever (Audio CD)
Oh dear, what a dreadful release. Especially after the recent fantastic Live At Rainbow release.

So let's start with the so called "3 new tracks".

The new versions of Love Kills and There Must Be More To Life Than This are so inferior to the originals. The Michael Jackson contribution is just awful and should never have been released.

Let Me In Your Heart Again is the only worthy addition here and should surely have been added to the 2nd disc of The Works 2011 remaster (or at least considered). The majority of those bonus CDs were very disappointing. Why not release all of
those BBC sessions from the Queen/Queen II/Sheer Heart Attack/News Of The World eras? Why not release the 12" extended remixes from the 80s? Surely that's what the discerning Queen fans want isn't it?

So, following on from those disappointing Bonus EPs, we get the rest of the CD (or for those really deluded Queen fans, 2 CDs) padded out by already released album tracks and singles. Let me tell you Queen Productions, a song with an early
fade does not constitute a new take of a track.

The Telegraph review could not have summed it up any better...."a blatant stocking-filler money-grab".
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2014 11:46 PM GMT

Herd Runners
Herd Runners

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but slight, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Herd Runners (Audio CD)
Four listens in and I can appreciate there are some really nice songs on here. But, compared to the stunning second album Beneath This Burning Shoreline, there is a distinct lack of edge to the songs. Purists of the romantic song will love this album. My personal taste to music means I prefer, not all, but some of the songs to have more bite. I can't dislike this album - Simon Aldred is a great songwriter. It just, in my eyes anyway, doesn't measure up to Cherry Ghost's previous effort.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2014 10:10 AM BST

Ghost Stories
Ghost Stories

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
There will be those who pine for the old X&Y anthem-style songs. As much as I like that album, I'm always looking for bands to try something different. There was a slight shift in style from X&Y to Viva La Vida. There's more of a shift with this album. The sound is slightly more chilled and atmospheric and I really like it. The track Midnight seems to be dividing opinion - as soon as I heard it, I loved it. Other highlights are tracks True Love, Always In My Head and O. I can understand the negative reviews for this release, but the album just really works for me.

The Cautionary Tales of Mark Oliver Everett
The Cautionary Tales of Mark Oliver Everett

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, but slightly deflated, 27 April 2014
I was expecting a bit more from this latest release after (in my eyes) the disappointing last album. It's better then Wonderful Glorious, but it's not up to the standard of my 3 favourite Eels albums (Electro Shock Blues, Daisies of the Galaxy and Blinking Lights). Must admit, I've struggled to like a whole album of Eels material since Blinking Lights - like about two-thirds of Hombre Lobo and End Times, like about half of Tomorrow Morning (after dismissing for 12 months but revisiting) but only like 3 or 4 songs from Wonderful Glorious. Some of the songs on this new album seems a bit over-familiar and forced, but it's not a total write-off. Best songs are Lockdown Hurricane and Mistakes of my Youth. Also quite like the trilogy Where I'm At, Where I'm From and Where I'm Going. Here's hoping it will continue to grow on me (listened to it about 5 times now). Mark out of ten, 7/10. Still looking forward to seeing them live in Oxford in June.

Reflektor
Reflektor

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly enjoyable, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Reflektor (Audio CD)
I've had this CD a week now and am beginning to like (most) of the tracks. It's a bit annoying that it's on 2 CDs when they could have removed the last 5 pointless minutes of the otherwise lovely track Supersymmetry and perhaps removed 1 or 2 of the more cluttered songs on the first CD. Still struggling to get to grips with those cluttered tracks (1:4, 1:5 and 1:6) but am really warming to the more laid-back second CD. The title track on the first CD is also an obvious highlight. This fourth release appears to be getting mixed reviews from both fans and critics and I'm not totally sure whether it has grabbed me like their previous three albums. But, overall, I would say there's enough on this album to keep things fresh and interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes this is good, 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: 9 (Audio CD)
O was an extremely accomplished album, but 9, for me, trumps it. Emotional, gut-wrenching and uplifting. I can imagine a lot of people who fell in love with O would be taken aback with 9, but, being a Radiohead fan, it just works for me. Tracks Elephant and Accidental Babies are especially good. An album to listen to on a relaxing Saturday night half way through a bottle of wine.

Trouble Will Find Me
Trouble Will Find Me

4.0 out of 5 stars Subtle, 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: Trouble Will Find Me (Audio CD)
This album does remind me more of Boxer than High Violet. It's definitely a grower and requires 5 or 6 listens before the songs start to sink in. Because of the more subtle nature of the music, the album very nearly loses its momentum (track 9 Slipped is filler and one slow track too many) but luckily the last 4 tracks (especially I Need My Girl and Humiliation) are very impressive.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8