Profile for Travel Grom > Reviews

Content by Travel Grom

Travel Grom (Cumbria UK)

The Secret Life of Bletchley Park: The WWII Codebreaking Centre and the Men and Women Who Worked There

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, 12 Mar 2014
I chose this book as I had been in the WRNS in the early 1950's. As a 'Signal' Wren I was using coding equipment which built on the remarkable work at Bletchley Park which led to cracking the 'Enigma' codes enabling intercepted German signals to be decoded.. This story of a valuable part of our heritage which played a vital part in World War II is brilliantly written and contains extracts from documents which bring the story to life. This book is well researched and features many courageous and brilliant people who worked in secrecy and often great discomfort throughout Europe, North Africa and elsewhere.. Their story needed to be told.

Philomena: The true story of a mother and the son she had to give away (film tie-in edition)
by Martin Sixsmith

5.0 out of 5 stars A sensitively written story of our recent history, 17 Jan 2014
I watched the film which was superb., I needed to read the book which tells this true story in so much more detail than the film. I remember Martin Sixsmith as a superb journalist. He raises the issues of inhuman behaviour over many years by those involved in the Roman Catholic Church in Ireland and the children's homes where pregnant single young girls were taken to give birth. They 'paid for their sins' by slaving on tasks such as working in the laundry. Martin's research leads to the discovery of the adoption of these babies and traces the story of a small boy. Subsequent enquiries led to wilful withholding of information. A second theme is the political system in USA where this boy was taken for adoption and we follow the devious political 'response' to the crisis of HIV/Aids.

There is so much more in the book than the film which should be read by all interested in social and political history, and theology. As a Christian, I am ashamed of the activities carried out in the name of Christ who came to bring Good News to the Poor.and needy. I would recommend 'Nevertheless' by John Kirkby which tells the true story of how he founded "Christians Against Poverty"..
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2014 1:48 PM GMT

Berlitz: Madeira Pocket Guide (Berlitz Pocket Guides)
Berlitz: Madeira Pocket Guide (Berlitz Pocket Guides)
by Berlitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Holiday companion and guide, 15 Oct 2013
By the time I arrive on the island I shall be well prepared to make the most of my time there. The size and format of this guide is ideal and gives basic information which is easy to use. Until after my holiday I am not qualified to comment on the accuracy of the contents but the Berlitz guides I have used for other holidays have been extremely helpful

Walk & Eat Madeira (Walk and Eat)
Walk & Eat Madeira (Walk and Eat)
by John Underwood and Pat Underwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect preparation for a holiday in Madeira, 15 Oct 2013
Still looking forward to trying out the suggestions in the book. I love the format - and obvious delight of the authors passing on their experience. It will be an ideal book to carry with us next month when we visit the island.

Dymo LetraTag LT-100H Label Maker ABC Keyboard
Dymo LetraTag LT-100H Label Maker ABC Keyboard

5.0 out of 5 stars Dymo Letra Tag LT 100H Label Maker, 12 Feb 2013
Perfect for small labelling tasks around the house. Easy to use and versatile with different materials used for the tapes.Good value for money and speedy delivery.