Profile for Sharon C > Reviews

Content by Sharon C

Sharon C "lizzi-lou" (UK)

Stop Cold Calling Door Sticker - No Cold Callers - No Religious Groups - No Salesmen - Fully Weatherproof Sign
Offered by KPCM Display
Price: 1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The best purchase ever!, 19 May 2014
This stuck to my window next to the front door so neatly, without bubbles, as if it had been professionally put there by the glaziers. And immediately we noticed a difference. It's been six weeks now, and where we were getting a couple of cold callers a week we have only had one since it's been there. When I looked at him with a quizzical expression on my face he reassured me there was "no problems" and began to launch into his sales patter. I immediately pointed to the sticker and said "We don't have cold callers" and instead of the usual lengthy reasoning why he could save me money he looked, apologised and beat a very hasty retreat. An unexpected bonus of having the sticker on display is the huge reduction in junk mail, which is unusual as the sticker doesn't actually say "no junk mail" (although I wish it did!). Whereas we used to get takeaway leaflets through the door every day, now we're getting only about one a week. If you're thinking about it, buy it. You'll be glad you did.

The Hunger Games brooch replica brooch Mockingjay
The Hunger Games brooch replica brooch Mockingjay
Offered by Demarkt
Price: 0.68

2.0 out of 5 stars Not NECA, 19 Dec 2013
Item looks ok although more yellowy and shiny than the picture appears so not as nice. Put it this way, I'd wear the one in the picture, but I wouldn't wear the one that arrived in the post. But I'm sure the 11 year old I ordered this for will be happy with it. However, I am disappointed that the description has this as a NECA item (the genuine Hunger Games stockists) when it isn't. The packaging looks like it's come from a cheap market stall. I ordered this because I couldn't find Hunger Games brooches anywhere, and then about a week after I ordered it I found them in Waterstones bookstore for the same price as I'd paid for this item.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed - fell apart in 2 months, 24 Nov 2013
I bought this against my better judgement because my 11 year old loved the design. Has been used for school, and hasn't been subjected to any weight as she doesn't seem to have to carry books about much. One of the zips is coming apart at the seams (ok, I could re-stitch it) but I've also noticed a big hole at the bottom of the bag where more stitching has come apart, and that's not easily repairable.
Paid almost 20 including postage, but I bet you could pick this up at a local market somewhere for less than a fiver.

River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
Price: 12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, 18 Oct 2013
I have an organic veg delivery from a local farm every week and this book is perfect for making the most of veg that's in season and not just your usual supermarket veg. I've made things like the kale and onion pizza and the spouffle (spinach and pasta cheese souffle) fully expecting my fussy kids to turn their noses up, but they haven't! I agree that some of the recipes are quite labour intensive, but if you enjoy cooking that's no great hardship. I particularly like that the recipes don't generally call for obscure ingredients that I'll never use again. And my own versions actually look like the picture in the book!

Kodak Hero 5.1 All-in-One WiFi Printer (Print, Copy, Scan)
Kodak Hero 5.1 All-in-One WiFi Printer (Print, Copy, Scan)

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!, 30 Nov 2012
I made the mistake of not installing this until my old HP printer had run out of ink. Which took a long time, unlike this heap of rubbish. Then it wouldn't print more than one sheet at a time which is useless if you want to print a 60 page document. So I spoke to the Kodak help centre. Again, and again, and again. I held on the phone for Kodak help centre again and again and again. Which isn't much good if you work full time and the service centre is only open Monday to Friday 9-5. Eventually we took it back to the shop and they replaced it, unfortunately with another Kodak 5.1. Oh, how I wished we still had the old HP. Well, the replacement works - most of the time. Ok, some of the time. As soon as there's a Kodak update it stops working. I think the only way round that was to uninstall the printer then reinstall. Which is a pain if you're in a hurry. And then if you're running out of ink it stops working. What a load of bull about it being the most ink-efficient. It's the most ink efficient because you can't print. As soon as it tells you you're low of ink, that's it. No more printing till you've put a new cartridge in. My old printer would keep going another month on the dregs of ink. That was ink efficient, using every last drop. Not this one. Oh, and I still can't fathom out how to do 'cloud' printing from the iPhone, iPad etc! Save your money, buy a different brand. Don't fall for the clever marketing of this printer.

Teaching and Learning in Diverse and Inclusive Classrooms: Key Issues for New Teachers
Price: 19.66

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful text but..., 3 Jan 2012
If you are buying this as part of teacher training or other post-graduate work/research I would recommend buying the old fashioned paper book. The reason I give for this is that I find the Kindle to be frustrating when trying to access references. I would have hoped that in a non-fiction text book with academic references throughout the text that it would be possible to click on the reference to find the full reference details, but mine doesn't seem to be capable of doing that. I have to insert an e-bookmark, skip forward to the end of the chapter/book - it is so long-winded and frustrating. No doubt Kindle will improve but at the moment I'm not impressed with such basic functionality.

The book itself is clearly written, easy to understand, not an unpleasant read for a text book, and is a good introduction to some important and relevant areas of teaching today.

Latino Workout With Nadia [DVD] [2004]
Latino Workout With Nadia [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Nadia Almada
Offered by thesaverdeals
Price: 2.48

1.0 out of 5 stars Spend your money elsewhere, 22 May 2008
Despite having some ballroom, disco and ballet training I found this hard to follow once it gets onto the more intense workout. The cameraman goes crazy once it gets onto the routine. They show you twice slowly and then switch camera angles to show the top half of Nadia which is useless when you're trying to learn the lower body movements, and then various shots of the guys. I tried it twice and gave up: this one's going in the charity bag.
Nadia can't dance, and is actually rather irritating in this. The safety advice tell you to wear flat shoes, yet she is wearing a pair of high stilettoes. I feel her presence is more for voyeurism - people that want to see a post-op transsexual wearing a mini dress with low cleavage.

Challenger Climbing Frame Set
Challenger Climbing Frame Set

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing durability, 15 May 2008
We have had our TP Challenger for 2 years. It has had light use. We were disappointed that the tent den has broken already, the webbing straps have disintegrated (weather damage or maybe birds?) but this is not covered by the guarantee. TP do not offer a repair service, and a replacement is 60.

In fact the guarantee is only on the metal parts (providing you maintain them from rust by sanding and treating), and not even the plastic screw thread inside the metal components of the frame. On moving the slide part this year we discovered that it was impossible to re-connect as it has plastic threading inside, rather than a screw & bolt fitting. We had to improvise with spare parts from an old baby trampoline to fit the slide back.

For the amount of money that this cost we are very disappointed, and would not recommend or buy TP again.