Profile for BendSinister > Reviews

Existential Psychotherapy
by Irvin D. Yalom
Price: 31.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly life-changing book, 4 Jan 2011
I have read quite a few of the 'classics' of existentialism, but this work astounds me with the wisdom, profundity and elegance of its many insights. For anyone who really wants to take responsibility for their own lives, who is facing difficult life challenges and decisions, I cannot recommend this book too highly. Perhaps what draws me most to this style of psychotherapy is the interface between psychology and philosophy, the way in which psychology is grounded in thought and not just presented as a quick fix (which, in our 'quick-fix'/'easy is good, difficult is bad' society, comes as quite a refreshment).
I do have certain reservations about this approach (in particular, I feel that there is a danger, in its emphasis on personal responsibility and 'authenticity', to turn us into islands!), but the book forces us to ask fundamental questions and, sometimes, the asking of questions is more important than being provided with 'answers'. It is, at times, a frightening read, but only because it reflects on and responds to so many of our (or, at least my!) fears, doubts and issues.