Profile for Matilda Wormwood > Reviews

Matilda Wormwood (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
When I Wasn't Watching
When I Wasn't Watching

5.0 out of 5 stars Tells the story of a mother's worst nightmare when her little boy is murdered, 18 Oct 2014
Fabulous story with lots of twists. Tells the story of a mother's worst nightmare when her little boy is murdered, and then the crushing reality she faces when eight years later the murderer is released on parole. It also tells of the thoughts and emotions of a new detective whose first ever case was the one to solve the murder of little Jack and the story of Jack's older brother.

Characters raw and entirely believable.

I bought this as it looked good and wasn't disappointed - I read it in two sittings! Looking forward to more by this author.

Lenovo C560 23-inch Multitouch All-In-One Desktop - Black (Intel Core i3 4130T 2.9GHz, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, Wi-Fi, BT, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8.1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect all in one desktop!, 15 Jun 2014
I've been toying with the idea of a new PC for a while. I wanted one that wasn't big and bulky, was a reasonable price, but had a large screen. I ordered with Amazon prime and it came the next day.

Pros:

* Lovely large touch screen
*Computer runs near silent
* All in one card reader
*Loads of USB ports
*Brilliant sound quality
*Plenty of memory
*Picture editing options very good

Cons:

*I've been running on my new PC for a week and Windows 8 takes some getting used to
*The app page can be confusing at first
* Lenovo has it's own PDF reader (not adobe) which is good but only comes with a free 30 day trial then you've got to pay extra - don't bother - adobe is free!

I immediately ditched the wired mouse for a wireless one. The keyboard, though wired, is a great spec and feels very good for lots of typing - I am a writer and therefore this is of up-most importance. I also ordered Office 2013 STUDENT as the new office requires a yearly subscription (which I thought was a complete rip off) whilst the student is everlasting for one PC/Laptop.

Brilliant value for money.

The Memory Child
The Memory Child

3.0 out of 5 stars The Memory Child, 1 April 2014
This review is from: The Memory Child (Kindle Edition)
I bought and read this book on recommendation by Amazon.

It tells the story of a new mother, Diane, and her husband, Brian. It jumps between the present when Diane is alone with baby Grace and Brian is absent, and the past when they were happily married with a baby on the way

I finished it in a couple of days, but had a good idea of what was going on particularly with her husband, Brian.

The end has a twist similar to "One Step Too Far" by Seskis and I was left feeling annoyed. Several things were just too far fetched and the story wasn't really brought to a proper close (it's hard to explain more without giving the end away). A disappointment after reading her first book but would have made a good holiday read.

Those who enjoy this kind of story might also like:

The Lie of You: I Will Have What is Mine

The Windermere Witness: 1 (The Lake District Mysteries)
The Windermere Witness: 1 (The Lake District Mysteries)

2.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate and a rushed ending, 5 Mar 2014
I really wanted to like this book. I persevered. Living in the Lake District, I hoped that familiar places would jump out at me. The book started slowly, the links between Simmy and the other characters were a little unbelievable. Tope went to great lengths to research certain things - Baddely clock for example had a two page description, but then the a little length of Windermere Lake was way off (something that anyone could find in less than 10 secs on google!). The end was both forced and rushed.

I won't be rushing out to by the sequel - 'Ambleside Alibi'

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, 5 Mar 2014
I bought this book when it was on offer, with low expectations. How pleasantly surprised I was to find myself hooked after the first few chapters.

The book tells the story of Kathy and Heja - two women who work in the same office building in London. Kathy is happily married with a young son, while Heja is a single woman from Finland who is determined (for some reason) to bring her down. As the book reaches it's peak the connections between the two women begin to be made. Without giving it all away, I did guess early on how Heja and Kathy might fit together, though I couldn't have possibly predicted how it would all work out in the end.

I did find the end a little strange and a little predictable but thought it brought the story to a reasonable enough close. I never really warmed to Heja, but I think that's what Lythell wanted.

A very good first outing. I will be on the lookout for more books by this author.

Egg Skelter Red for Medium to Large Eggs
Egg Skelter Red for Medium to Large Eggs
Offered by Omlet

4.0 out of 5 stars Egg-spensive but necessary!, 22 Feb 2014
I ordered the egg Skelta after having a traditional wire hen which we stored our eggs in. We recently downsized our flock, and ended up with three hens all laying brown eggs! The egg skelta is perfect for knowing which egg is the oldest which has saved us endless hassles with marking eggs etc. It does have one flaw - our five year old daughter was disappointed that they do not roll down very well!

Looks great on the kitchen shelf - we've had lots of comments already.

Only given 4*s because I do think that at nearly twenty pounds it is egg-tremely expensive for what it actually is.

This Is Where I Am
This Is Where I Am

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 22 Feb 2014
This book was a beautifully crafted story, which was careful to show empathy for refuge's coming to live in the UK without the story being balanced too much to one side.

Told from the viewpoint of two main characters, Abdi who is a single father and a refugee from Somalia and a middle-aged recently widowed woman, Debs who becomes his mentor. The story weaves in and out from the present and the past, delving in the issues that lead to Abdi's travel to Glasgow with his young daughter, Rebecca.

This book was written with sensitivity and balance. I gasped at some of the injustices that were forced on refugees coming to Glasgow, and loved the parts of the story that went back to Abdi's life in Somalia.

I must admit, that I didn't see the end coming! Keep the tissues handy!

I now have a new name on my favorite authors list.

Colourworks 5 Pieces Knife Set and Graphite Block
Colourworks 5 Pieces Knife Set and Graphite Block

3.0 out of 5 stars Look great but already showing wear, 10 Dec 2013
I bought these knives in February to go with my new kitchen and accessories.

Recently, the coloring on all of the knives has started peeling away. I do not put the knives in a dishwasher and am very careful in cleaning them. They therefore look old and something that should look nice and eye catching, I now have to angle a certain way.

The knives themselves are good quality and sharp - but this is not much help when they look and the coloring is peeling away.

It is disappointing because I paid over £30 for the set, and could have got better knives elsewhere for that price.

Tefal Actifry Low Fat Fryer - 1 kg - Black
Tefal Actifry Low Fat Fryer - 1 kg - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Chips have never tasted so good - with half the fat!, 10 Dec 2013
I should start by saying that I've had this on my wishlist for well over a year. I've contemplated splurging several times, but it is an expensive kitchen gadget and I wasn't entirely sure that I would use it to justify the cost. So when Amazon recently reduced it I went for it, and I'm so glad I did!

I have cooked chips, chicken, roast potato, bananas, apples. It is quick and easy, though do be wary that the fryer doesnt stop when the timer runs out (this happened once, chips were a bit on the crispy side for me) The amount of oil you need is surprisingly little. We have had it for a week now and have cooked chips/potatoes five times already! I've also cooked potato wedges with garlic oil (mmm) and some chicken breast with vegies with Chinese oil.

Very easy to clean, most bits come off easily. The only thing is I wish I'd bought a bigger one as It's hard to cook more than one item (e.g. chicken and chips) all in one go in this smaller version.

The main benefit of the actifry for me is the health aspect. I am a long standing weightwatchers member. Chips are too many points and too fatty. Not anymore! Thanks Tefal!

Playmobil Wild Life 4013 Penguin Habitat Superset
Playmobil Wild Life 4013 Penguin Habitat Superset

5.0 out of 5 stars Pick up a penguin!, 8 Oct 2013
Five year old collects the playmobil zoo and when I saw this, snapped it up for her bithday. It's a lovely little set that would work as a stand alone or as part of the larger zoo. She enjoys filling the 'pool' with water and letting the penguins splash around and letting the 'babies' go down the slide. It is cheaper than the bigger sets, but equally as fun! Great for Christmases or birthdays if your little one is into animals!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6