Profile for primocat > Reviews

Zalman ZM-NC3 Ultra Quiet Cooler for Up to 17 inch Laptop
Zalman ZM-NC3 Ultra Quiet Cooler for Up to 17 inch Laptop
Price: 12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars BYE BYE OVERHEATING!, 19 Mar 2013
Got the Zalman laptop cooler today, and was very excited especially since the expected delivery date was several weeks away! I had hummed and haahed about whether to buy directly from Amazon as it suggested a wait time of 1-2 months, so I am very happy that I did go with it. I had done a lot of research into laptop coolers, and this one seemed popular and well made, and at 12.50, a good option pricewise.

Huge box, but cooler inside is a normal size. It fits my Toshiba Satellite Pro well (17.3 " screen), although there is a slight overhang, this does not affect the cooling in the slightest.

I didn't find the usb cable a pain at all as I have a couple of sockets that can be used and the usb cable includes a socket of its own (so that you do not lose a socket effectively). The profile of the socket is a little larger than normal as a result, but should not cause you problems. The usb cable is located at the back of the unit in the middle, and so reaches either side of the laptop very easily.

This is a nice sturdy, attractive piece of equipment, the whole top surface is a metal mesh, so the fan air distribution is good all over. When on, it feels quite pleasantly cool. It is fairly quiet also (just a gentle whirr) and when you have anything with volume on your laptop, then you absolutely cannot hear the fan going at all. In fact, it is quite a lot quieter than the inbuilt laptop fan!

As for cooling, before I got this my laptop overheated very regularly whilst playing certain games. However much I underclocked the laptop, or hoisted it up to improve ventilation, the thermal indicator would run between 92C - 97C, and would often suddenly shut down when it exceeded that. I would have to resort to fanning the air vent every few minutes to keep it going, which was hugely annoying.

Not anymore. Today running tests with the clock at full overclocking glory, the maximum temperature was 82C. For comparison, when on normal and not playing power hungry games, my computer runs around 67C. Now it is between 54C and 55C.

I think that 1 large fan is definitely the way to go, and although there are newer models out there with a 22" fan as opposed to a 20" fan which this one is, I don't imagine there's so much difference to warrant the price hike. Steer clear of the cheap plastic coolers, especially the clear ones(often with flourescent blue lighting), the last one I bought came in 2 pieces and the cardboard box it came in was thicker than it was!

I am very impressed with the Zalman ZM-NC3 and hopefully this will keep up the good work in the future.

UPDATE - It's now 21/05/2014 and the cooler is still doing its thing and keeping my laptop alive. Just a thought, I have my cooler (and laptop on top of it) on a plastic tray affair, so it doesn't come into contact with the duvet. I have tried it on the duvet directly, but I think it would compromise the efficiency. I am certain that without this cooler, my laptop would now be in laptop heaven.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2014 8:06 PM BST

Chinese Dim Sum
Chinese Dim Sum
by Karen S. Chung

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent dim sum guide, 5 Feb 2011
This review is from: Chinese Dim Sum (Paperback)
Having "lost" my treasured dim sum book many years ago, I had been on the look out for a replacement. None quite matched up and whilst browsing I recognised this one. As I recall, it was full of photos showing step by step instructions and was very easy to follow, the instructions were printed in chinese and english. There was a good selection of recipes and I tried quite alot of recipes and they all came out well. Things like the Bao dough and custard tart pastry, I didn't quite master the technique (although they still tasted yummy), but practice makes perfect as they say, and sadly my orignal was nabbed before I got to do so. Excellent book, I shall be getting it again!