Profile for D. Lawry > Reviews

Content by D. Lawry

D. Lawry (Adelaide, Australia)

Page: 1 | 2
Modern Vampires of the City
Modern Vampires of the City

5.0 out of 5 stars ace, 19 Jun. 2014
An excellent album. Consistently good songs. Variety abounds. Interesting sounds and lyrics. Lots of religious imagery and it is not always easy to know what it is all about but it seems to be more substantial than most stuff going around. I guess my only criticism is that some of the songs are a chorus or verse too long, which I think detracts from their punchiness.

Vampire Weekend
Vampire Weekend
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky and fresh, 19 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Vampire Weekend (Audio CD)
I only discovered this band in the last year or so but I am very glad that I did. There is something quite fresh in their sound and instrumentation. Also, the songs are often fun and basically likeable. The lyrics are not all that straight forward but that adds something in most instances. A couple of not so great songs make it a four star album.

Trouble Will Find Me
Trouble Will Find Me

5.0 out of 5 stars great band, 19 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Trouble Will Find Me (Audio CD)
Another formidable album from a band that has really made a mark and offers something quite different from other bands. Enough variation from previous albums to make it a worthwile addition to the collection. I agree with some of the other comments in that it is an album which can be played repeatedly and does not really grow tired.

Flamingo
Flamingo
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars patchy, 17 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Flamingo (Audio CD)
I am a fairly big Killers fan, though my enthusiasm for the band has waned a little over the years. This album feels patchy to me. While I believe that Flowers'greatest triumphs were on the more Euro sounding first album (Hot Fuss) I also have enjoyed the more American flavoured subsequent recordings. However, I think that Flowers needs a bit more critical input to his recordings. He writes some good songs but there are quite a few average ones. Basically, he needs an editor - someone to come along and say "those songs are good, those songs are a bit poor, don't include them". There is enough to make it fine but only just. There's a few decent tracks in the Bruce Springsteen style (as anticipated) such as Magdalena. The Lou Reed sounding Swallow It and On the Floor are OK. Only The Young is quite mellow and pleasant but I think Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sounds a bit like one of the best 2 or 3 tracks from "Vegas - The Musical"

Look Around You : Complete BBC Series 1 [2002] [DVD]
Look Around You : Complete BBC Series 1 [2002] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Serafanowicz

4.0 out of 5 stars daft but funny, 19 Nov. 2012
This was not quite what I expected. It is divided into short programs and it seems a little repetitive if watched in one sitting. However, there is a lot to like about it and there are enough laugh out loud moments to make it easily worthwile. It's not the most sophisticated humour around but no matter.

Abide With Me
Abide With Me
by Elizabeth Strout

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely book, 19 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Abide With Me (Paperback)
I found this to be a lovely book. Elizabeth Strout is a very strong writer and this book has a lot of depth to it. The characters are well drawn and the story is subtle and fairly slow paced but there is a lot to it and I became quite immersed in it. Ultimately, it is also a pretty touching book.

A Hologram for the King
A Hologram for the King
by Dave Eggers

4.0 out of 5 stars liked it, 13 Nov. 2012
We read this book for book club and it worked well. All of us enjoyed it, to varying degrees. It has some very strong qualities and is a good talking point for the current state (and likely future) of business and progress in the USA. The main character is a bit sad but likeable. The story does not go all that far but it is well paced. A couple of guys in the group did not find the romance believable but I actually thought it added a bit.

Babel
Babel

4.0 out of 5 stars Another winner, 28 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
Another top album from a band I am enjoying see having success. It's refreshing that there is such a broad range of music that charts well these days. This album is possibly more strong than the first in that it is consistently good, though perhaps it does not have the standout singles that the first album had. I think the music might be more complex and varied than the first album. Maybe the way the lyrics are written, with lots of rhymes or phrasing that start to sound quite familiar on the back of the first album, reduce this from 5 stars to 4.

Room To Roam
Room To Roam
Offered by BestSellerRecordshop

5.0 out of 5 stars Great folk, 28 May 2012
This review is from: Room To Roam (Audio CD)
A friend put me onto this album a couple of years after it was released and it has been one of those I have kept coming back to, over the years. It is whimsical, emotive and charming, as well as being generally fun. I am not generally a massive fan of folk pop/folk rock but this one is a winner.

Perfect Symmetry
Perfect Symmetry

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting worse, 4 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Perfect Symmetry (MP3 Download)
Sometimes it's hard to know whether bands get worse or else the band is not any worse but the freshness and the newness in their sound as no longer present. I think with Keane's third album, that it all seems a bit more dull. The first album was very strong and I still find myself happily putting it on, some 7 years after buying it. I think one of the strengths of the first and to a lesser extent the second albums, was that the poppy and more upbeat songs were interspersed with ballads. The mix worked well. Perfect Symmetry comes over as being a bit naff and also a bit one-paced. The pop does not shine so well. The first couple of tracks are worthy enough but the standard is not maintained.

Page: 1 | 2