Profile for Caroline > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Marrying of Chani Kaufman
The Marrying of Chani Kaufman

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 15 Sep 2014
Interesting insight into a world that exists in modern day London but is largely invisible to most of us. It switches between the young, hopeful and slightly rebellious Chani and the older slightly disillusioned Rabbi's wife. Like all enclosed communities it is warm, loving and stifling. The characters are believable and draw you in and the ending is well done. I don't know if it is realistic but I assume so -the author appears to be trying to be both fair and realistic. An easy read but interesting.

Ubuy.Vsupply: 2 x UK to US travel plug suitable for USA, Canada, Mexico and Panama
Offered by ShaniTech

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy for travelling to US/Canada, 15 Sep 2014
Bought four sets for a family holiday to Canada to use with various phones, tablets, laptops etc. No problems -chargers plugged in and worked fine. In a couple of cases getting the UK plug in was a bit stiff but got there with a bit of pushing. Bargain.

Upstairs at the Party
Upstairs at the Party

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 15 Sep 2014
I really wanted to love this book. I had hoped it would either be a nostalgic read of university life (not really but then I'm a younger than the characters) or a 'modern day Brideshead' but it didn't really deliver. I liked the main character and found her parents interesting but found her friends, apart from Bobby, rather dull and indistinguishable. I think the real problem is that this book is trying to say something important but it's not really clear what while somewhere along the line it decides to be a mystery story.

Daughter
Daughter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Sep 2014
This review is from: Daughter (Kindle Edition)
Haunting story of a teenager's disappearance and a mother's pain and guilt as secrets and lies emerge. It switches between the events immediately before and after Naomi's disappearance and the present day, a year later when she is still missing. The time chages are slightly awkward at first but you get used to it and as I read on I couldn't put it down. I would recommend especially to the parents of teenagers but others also.

The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Book 2)
The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Sequel, 31 Aug 2014
Loved it - found it hard to put down -the sort of book I couldn't help reading as I walked along the street. Better than book 1 because the characters are more developed. Like all characters by this author they are rounded and flawed which is their strength and I am a huge Cormoran fan. Some criticisms have said the plot was unlikely -honestly I have yet to read a detective novel that is totally realistic. That's the point surely? But this kept me guessing although in retrospect the clues are there and I find Cormoran's role as private detective more plausible than the way PIs are written in some other books. The murder is a bit gruesome so avoid if you are squeamish but I can't wait for book 3.

Sizers - Shoe sizing insert cushions (Multipack (All three sizers))
Sizers - Shoe sizing insert cushions (Multipack (All three sizers))
Offered by Sizers

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 2 May 2014
These are bits of foam shaped to fit in the toes of shoes. You could in theory make yourself but you probably won't. To get an idea of how they work if you have shoes that are slightly big try putting tissue into the toes. They are more comfortable than that however. Not a miracle cure but useful and more effective than heel grips. I bought them to go with a pair of shoes I liked but were slightly loose but where the smaller size was painful. I found I was able to walk comfortably for quite a long way in them and I am not good with heels so was pleased (and definitely better than buying the smaller size).

Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife
Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and Uplifting, 2 May 2014
Very interesting account. If you are interested in the subject of near-death experiences you will enjoy, if you are open minded you will be intrigued -if you are a religious fundamentalist you will reject. Some people found the scientific discussion 'tedious' but that is the point of the book -Eben is a scientist and is therefore intersted in exploring what his physical state was (i.e. whether he was physically alive or dead) when his spirit was apparently experiencing the afterlife. I found it very readable and absorbing. Sometimes books like this give the impression of having been written by people who are either slightly batty or making stuff up for a profit but the author seeems very sensible and credible.

Kit Heath Womens Sterling Silver Flourish Drop Earrings 60011HP
Kit Heath Womens Sterling Silver Flourish Drop Earrings 60011HP

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 2 May 2014
Bought as a gift. They arrived nicely packaged and I was impressed with the quality. I am thinking of buying another set.

Mens Classic Cotton Polo Shirt With Chest Pocket
Mens Classic Cotton Polo Shirt With Chest Pocket

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 2 May 2014
A good quality polo shirt in pure cotton. Colour and fit were as expected and it has washed well. Very good value.

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret

4.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 3 Mar 2014
Slightly different to your usual 'chick lit' in that it's not all about romance. Interesting story with a neatly tied up ending. The 'secret' is guessable but that's not really the main point of the story -it's more about the choices we make and the 'what ifs'. I liked the characters and cared what happened to them. There are some difficulties with the structure -at the beginning the swapping between the three main characters is confusing and there is the child with the obsession with the Berlin Wall -I assumed this would some how tie into the story but it didn't and if it was supposed to symbolise something I totally missed the point- but overall I enjoyed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4