Profile for Rustycauldron > Reviews

Pie in the Sky - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Pie in the Sky - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Griffiths
Offered by rsdvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Pie is tasty but the preparation needs extra ingredients!, 13 Sep 2013
I love Pie in the Sky - its a lovely drama that can be watched by all ages, simple stories that can be enjoyed without being too clever. Richard Griffiths and supporting cast make it a joy to watch.

I cannot give it 5 stars purely because of the production of the DVD's. I bought the UK box set which has no subtitles. Its picture quality and sound are not always up to scratch but the thing I hate most is that it doesn't play full screen only in 4:3 (I guess it was originally filmed this way and you can change individual settings on your TV but at a loss of the whole picture top and bottom). It's as if the company producing the DVD's just can't be bothered to put any effort into improving them for todays market,'lets just get it out to the punters and make some money'. To make it worse Pie in the Sky is currently being shown on ITV 3 here in the UK in full screen and appears to be better quality so how hard can it be to make the DVD's the same?

Liesi Pu in their review on the 27/07/11 says that the American version has subtitles etc. so why does the British market get treated to a less than adequate version? Come on production companies get it together and lets have DVD's that are up to standard for current viewing considering that technology has improved vastly. It's not just Pie in the Sky it appears to be the case for several 'old' tv dramas etc. Get the recipe right and we might enjoy it better!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2014 12:15 PM BST

Michael Flatley Returns as Lord of the Dance 3D [Blu-ray 3D + Blu Ray]
Michael Flatley Returns as Lord of the Dance 3D [Blu-ray 3D + Blu Ray]
Dvd ~ Michael Flatley

3.0 out of 5 stars Lord of the Dunce, 9 Aug 2012
I would love to give this 5 stars but I just can't. Don't get me wrong Mr Flatley and crew were fantastic as always. The 3D was ok but I was to busy thinking about the bits that seemed to be missing from the show that I didn't give the effects my full attention. I got to the end of the DVD and thought I'd look at the Bonus Features with of all things a section called 'deleted scenes' where I found my missing bits and so I now wish to start my small rant...

I was expecting a DVD of the show 'Lord of the Dance' complete in all its glory - to be watched by those of us who could never get tickets to see it live - as we had been there. But no what we get is a show with scenes unecessarily removed and put back in as Bonus Features because some dunce, thick head, misbegotten person called an Editor thought it was a good idea for the DVD. I reiterate this was Performance that had been filmed not a movie that required scences to be removed to fit cinema time. So if you are a fan of The Lord of The Dance and know the show well be ready to see an abridged version.