Profile for Matt Lewis > Reviews

Content by Matt Lewis

Matt Lewis (Brighton, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Mykonos Summer Guide 2014
Mykonos Summer Guide 2014
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be a physical CD release for this fab album, 14 Aug 2014
Great album but shame that it's only available as a digital only download. This really needs to be a physical CD album in my opinion.

SCART Adapter - 3 PHONO + S-VHS IN/OUT
SCART Adapter - 3 PHONO + S-VHS IN/OUT
Offered by HDMIPerfect
Price: 1.33

5.0 out of 5 stars IDEAL FOR VIRGIN MEDIA TIVO BOX TO AMPLIFIER, 5 Mar 2014
If you have a two channel amplifier like me and don't have a digital input on the amplifier only RCA (Phono) connectors, this product is ideal for hooking up the audio output from the Virgin Media Tivo box to the amplifier. It works brilliantly without any problems at all. I have the sound output from the Tivo going into my amp and the TV signal from the TV via the Tivo with an HDMI cable. Just remember that the scart is switchable OUTPUT/INPUT. Make sure you have it on the output if you're connecting your Tivo box up to a two channel amplifier. This solved a massive problem that I had as I looked at various more expensive options. This was the cheapest option and it worked the best. You don't need any converter boxes just buy this scart adapter to phonos. I also used an extension cable as the phono cable that it comes with is too short but an extension cable was only 2.75 - the whole outfit cost me just 9.70 - a real bargain.

Gavin And Stacey - Series 1-3 And 2008 Christmas Special [DVD]
Gavin And Stacey - Series 1-3 And 2008 Christmas Special [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ruth Jones
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful comedy and well written, 24 Feb 2014
I bought the box set as I'd not seen any of the series when it was aired on TV and being that I love Ruth Jones stuff I thought I'd try it and it's a good job that I did as I adore it.

The comedy is well written and full of laughs but I have a bit of a problem from the second series and that's a rather annoying fault when the cast commentaries will automatically switch on and there is a box at the left hand corner of the screen of the cast talking about the scenes. This happens at least twice through each episode. I have to go back to the menu and manually switch off the commentary in the settings only to do the whole thing again in the next episode and thereafter on each one. It's rather annoying. I have so far watched the complete first series and the second series and now I am about to watch the Christmas Special and then the third series. The fault seems to be on the second series so far but not the first series.

Just wondered if anyone else had this problem or was it only me? I have a new DVD player and it's not a fault with the player as I don't have this problem with anything else that I watch.

25th Anniversary Vinyl Collection [VINYL]
25th Anniversary Vinyl Collection [VINYL]
Price: 178.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper instore at HMV, 14 May 2013
I was looking at this set in my local HMV store and it was only 119.99 - Not sure why it's so much more on Amazon.

Her Life as a Man, Joan Collins, Robert Culp, Marc Singer. VHS
Her Life as a Man, Joan Collins, Robert Culp, Marc Singer. VHS
Offered by pkeylock
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Really needs to be a DVD release, 11 Feb 2013
This is one of those great forgotten movies that really needs a DVD release. I have it on an American format VHS tape but I'm longing to see this on DVD if it's ever released on one.

Lipslide
Lipslide
Price: 18.42

4.0 out of 5 stars A very nice double pack...but, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Lipslide (Audio CD)
I have bought in the past, the UK, US and Japanese versions of this album on CD and even this new Deluxe Edition has three tracks missing from the UK, US & Japanese versions. It's supposed to include the tracks from the E.P. "Kelly's Locker" but one track is missing from that too, all are highlighted below.

They are:

From the original UK release:

"Penthouse Girl, Basement Boy"

From the original US release:

"Oh Boy, the Feeling When You Held My Hand"
"4 Months, 2 Weeks"

From the EP "Kelly's Locker"

"Penthouse Girl, Basement Boy"

I realise that Sarah herself may have put this together and compiled it but I think it could have been better if all the above tracks were included. The only way to have all the missing tracks is to obtain the editions as mentioned above which I already own. It is still a great selection of tunes though for the price and worth buying but get the others too if you can.

The Sizzling Twenties
The Sizzling Twenties
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This should get a CD release not just MP3, 23 Jan 2013
My late father had this in his record collection and it was the best album from all the Decca Phase 4's.

I now have it in my record collection and it remains a favourite of mine especially when it comes to the stereo separation on this recording.

If you're going to set up any hi-fi, this is the album to use. To get your speakers balanced, this is probably the ultimate album there is for that job.

There aren't really any standout tracks on the album as they are all good and the stereo separation is magnificent when you listen to tracks such as Tea For Two with the guy on one channel and the girl on the other having a telephone conversation then they are together on the right hand channel. It's all very cleverly done.

My only gripe is that this album should be on CD and not just mp3. I've been longing for a CD issue of this album for years and I hope that one day that happens.

Signing Off [2CD+DVD]
Signing Off [2CD+DVD]
Price: 18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars UB40's Early Dub Reggae was the best, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Signing Off [2CD+DVD] (Audio CD)
I don't think you can beat UB40's early Dub reggae style from the late 1970's to the early 1980's. The period before the band went all electronic and modern for me was just the best.

I absolutely love the opening track Tyler and King, Burden of Shame & Food For Thought. The instrumentals are tops too.

This is British Dub Reggae at it's very best.

Cambridge Audio CD5 V4 CD Player
Cambridge Audio CD5 V4 CD Player
Offered by Richer Sounds
Price: 119.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for the money - Good budget priced player, 6 Jan 2013
I bought two of these CD players from Richer Sounds, one was brand new from the Richer Sounds store and the other, a refurbished model from Richer Sounds online store.

Both CD players play fine and sound great, the only thing I don't like about them is the slowness of the opening and closing of the CD drawer, it does take a while from pressing the opening/closing button on the front of the player or remote control.

The refurbished unit actually plays better than the brand new unit and that's because the brand new unit has a very noisey transport mechanism meaning you can hear the disc spinning and not only that there is a grinding noise from it too which isn't on all the CD's but some of them. Can be a little annoying at times.

With regards to connecting the units up, very simple. Just a pair of standard RCA connections on the back, no digital connections. I bought a pair of high quality interconnects from Richer Sound, they do the job nicely.

At some point though I am looking to trade the brand new unit in and upgrade to the Pioneer entry level SACD player (super audio CD player) only because the build quality and obviously being a Pioneer it will match my Pioneer amplifier beautifully.

This is the ideal CD player if you are on a tight budget. As long as you don't mind waiting for the CD drawer to open and close after pressing the button then it's a good player for you. Sound quality is very nice, very detailed and the actual build quality for a cheap CD player is very good. It's a smart looking machine with the included remote control, the remote control uses a battery which is the 10 pence piece type (2052 cell type).

I have given the unit 3 out of 5 stars because of the minor imperfections but it's generally a good machine and does the job right. Before I go, let me also mention that the player also plays MP3 discs, so if you have CDs that you have burnt at home with your favourite mp3's on, this player will play them and will play them well. Home burnt CD-R's also play but sometimes skip. I've had a few that have done that in both of my decks. Generally I'd stick to bought CDs every time though.

The Epic Masters Box Set
The Epic Masters Box Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful box set of Shaky's material but, 9 Oct 2012
Does anyone else have problems removing the inner CD sleeves from the outta CD sleeves ???

I'm having to use brute force to pull the inner sleeves out of the outta ones
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2013 5:31 PM GMT