Profile for Amethyst_isis > Reviews

Content by Amethyst_isis

Amethyst_isis "Horror fiction fan" (Aberdeen UK)

The Bearded Dragon Manual (Herpetocultural Library)
The Bearded Dragon Manual (Herpetocultural Library)
by Philippe De Vosjoli
Price: 8.36

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost a comprehensive book but a bit vague, 15 Nov 2012
Bought this book as I am looking to add a Bearded Dragon to our menagerie. From the reviews I thought that this would be very comprehensive and would contain all the information I would need to know.

Sadly, this is not so. Book is written for the US market, temperatures given only in F. Very little info (about a paragraph each) on the basics such as setting up a vivarium, on diet, on temperature ranges, etc. nothing on proper handling or grooming, which I would expect in a book aimed at new owners to cover. Good info on potential illnesses and the signs to look out for which I am sure will make it a valuable book.

If I had seen this book in a store I would not have bought it after browsing as it didn't contain enough information for me.

Bissell Cleanview Deep Clean Carpet Cleaner
Bissell Cleanview Deep Clean Carpet Cleaner
Offered by thurgo - ltd
Price: 230.99

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! Pet owner amazed by cleaning capabilities., 7 Jun 2012
I just received my Bissell carpet cleaner yesterday and had to write a review immediately. The carpet cleaner arrives in very good packaging and after minimal assembly (using instructions which could be a little clearer) it is ready for use along with the small bottle of carpet cleaning solution that comes in the accessories box.

I used mine last night to give it a trial. Filling the water container and preparing the cleaning solution is very straight forward, I would recommend that you have the cleaning solution bottle open as the container isn't flat bottomed so can't be balanced easily on the unit while you open the bottle. Filling the water container was easier to do with a jug than just pouring straight from the tap but this was not an issue.

I have 2 dogs and cream carpets, which is a horrendous combination really, and although the carpets are only just over a year old they were very dirty. I have used an older vax on the carpets in the past but wasn't very satisfied with how the carpet came up after cleaning. I was very impressed with the cleaning capabilities of this model of Bissell. One of our dogs has a very delicate stomach and despite washing and scrubbing there were vomit stains on the carpet which disappeared with the first pass of the carpet cleaner. The amount of dirt that was lifted from the carpet was astonishing. I had no idea that there was so much in the carpet.

Sadly I couldn't wash the entire carpet with the small sample bottle of carpet cleaner that was included but this has just made it much easier to see how much cleaner the Bissell makes the carpet from one wash. Admittedly I used the high traffic setting rather than the normal setting as the hall carpet takes the brunt of the muddy paw traffic in my house so I think it would have gone further if I had used it on a less used carpet. I have ordered the larger pet solution and I would expect this to perform better than the standard solution.

Only downside was having to stop every now and then to pick up bundles of fluff that the cleaner generated from the carpet.

Would recommend this to anyone who is looking to buy a carpet cleaner for their home. Very simple to operate and gives fantastic results.

Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What to Eat? (Nintendo DS)
Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What to Eat? (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Talbot Media
Price: 1.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A great aid for any cook!!!, 26 Jun 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I saw this advertised and had to buy it, even if it was just to find out that it wasn't as good as I thought it would be... However having used it last night to make a very nice bolognese dish I can confirm that it does exactly what it says it does.

There are recipes from around the world, and the recipes can be adjusted to cater for different numbers of portions, however this is only in multiples of 2 which when you have a family of 3 can mean either making too little or too much.

The instructions on how to prepare the ingredients are great, the video clips are easy to follow and I recommend it to anyone who is starting out with cooking. The shopping list is fantastic for making sure you have all the ingredients and if you live in an area where you cannot purchase "foreign" ingredients there are a list of alternatives which can be used.

The only downside is the voice activation. When I used it I discovered that the sound of chopping ingredients would make the program skip back a place, or even more frustratingly, make the chef repeat things he had already said. I think though that I will have to persevere with trial and error when it comes to the placement of the DS when I am cooking.

There are also a lack of vegetarian dishes in the aid (I refuse to call this a game), in fact if you do a keyword search for vegetarian it brings up 3 dishes, 1 of which contains fish!!

All in all a good buy if you like trying new dishes from around the world. I have a fair few cook books as I love cooking but have often dismayed at having to run back and forth to a book to follow a recipe. This takes away all that hassle.

Danse Macabre (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter 13)
Danse Macabre (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter 13)
by Laurell K. Hamilton
Price: 9.93

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as anticipated, 20 July 2006
Well, from having read the first few pages online I thought that this would perhaps be an improvement on the past couple of Anita Blake books. Imagine my disappointment to discover that this was just another book filled with Anita and her "abnormal" sexual relationships. I just wish that Laurell K would get back to the good old days of fighting and killing the bad guys instead of having anita have sexual relations with all of them...