Profile for Giles Kristian > Reviews

Content by Giles Kristian

Giles Kristian "G Kristian" (London)

Children Multi Colors 3 x 3 x 3 Plastic Magic Cube Puzzle Toy w Keyring
Children Multi Colors 3 x 3 x 3 Plastic Magic Cube Puzzle Toy w Keyring

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 27 Feb. 2016
It fell apart approximately one minute after opening. Just rubbish.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Eagles at War (Eagles of Rome)
Eagles at War (Eagles of Rome)
by Ben Kane

5.0 out of 5 stars I’ve been waiting a long time for Ben Kane to write this story., 3 May 2015
I’ve been waiting a long time for Ben Kane to write this story. The tragedy (depending which side you’re on) of the massacre of three legions under Varus, and the manner of its execution, has long held a fascination for me. There’s the whole reversal of the underdog thing and the brutal decisiveness of the battle itself. But perhaps most affecting for me is
the nature of the last stand made by the men of those doomed legions. All these elements combine to give a storyteller of Ben Kane’s calibre everything he needs to write a vivid, compelling story. The setting for the action - deep in the Teutoberg Forest - the utter surprise of the ambush and the sheer scale of the massacre, has given the event an almost mythic status in history. And yet the bones that littered the forest floor for years after the battle, as well as the shockwaves which emanated throughout the Roman Empire, could not be disputed. Nor can Kane’s ability to bring the events of AD 9 to life. The reader progresses through the story like one of the Roman legionaries, being drawn ever deeper into the world Kane has recreated. One feels the claustrophobia of the forest, the otherworldliness of the Germanic culture, the uncertainty and then…the terror.
If you know your history, you know the fate of these Roman soldiers. And yet that will not stop you cheering them on, encouraging them to take heart and fight for each other. To fight for their eagles. You may even start to think that there is hope. For where there is courage there is always hope.
If you’ve ever wondered what it felt like to serve in the Roman army, you should read this book. This is gripping, brutal, and brilliant.
Thank you, Ben Kane, for writing this book.

GIRLS KIDS DRUM SET KIT TOY CHILDREN MUSICAL INSTRUMENT
GIRLS KIDS DRUM SET KIT TOY CHILDREN MUSICAL INSTRUMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars gulp, 10 Jun. 2013
This drum set is shockingly overpriced. It's pretty but I can't see how the seller can justify the price. When I opened the box I felt slightly sick knowing what I'd paid for it. Mind you, my little girl's smile when she sees it in the morning will, I hope, go some way towards making me feel better.

Hannibal: Enemy of Rome
Hannibal: Enemy of Rome
by Ben Kane

5.0 out of 5 stars In the clash of empires, can friendship survive?, 10 Jun. 2011
I'll admit, I've always had a thing for Hannibal Barca. He'd be one of my ultimate dinner party guests. For me he's right up there with Alexander, Caesar, and Napoleon, and I imagine he must have had charisma coming off him in waves. So when I found out that Kane was 'doing' Hannibal, I got very excited because I knew he'd do a great job. What I wasn't prepared for, however, was the wonderful human touch with which the author drew me in; the difficult weave of family relationships, the power of friendship in the face of adversity. This tale of humanity and the human condition set against the backdrop of an epic clash of empires is what made this novel a joy to read.

If you want a story that lives and breathes, characters that you genuinely care about, and action that leaves you breathless, Ben Kane is your man. With the instinct and skill of Hannibal himself, the author draws you in and lets loose! Echoes of the great Homeric poems summon the ancient world to glorious, blazing life. You feel the ground tremble beneath the phalanxes, hear the battle cries of the legions, smell the carnage of war. You sense the sweeping tides of history that changed the world. It's clear that Kane has a passion for his subject; a passion that sweeps the reader along like a spearman hemmed in the throng, towards whatever fate the gods have decreed. I found myself cheering - a good omen if there ever was! An epic tale, triumphantly told.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2012 11:35 AM GMT