Profile for HelenW > Reviews

Content by HelenW

HelenW

The Italian Cookery Course: 400 Authentic Regional Recipes and 40 Masterclasses on Technique
by Katie Caldesi

5.0 out of 5 stars I will be using it often, 13 Jun 2011
I received my 2nd hand copy of this book a few weeks back - it came up on my amazon US recommendations list, and after reading that the measurement system had been converted for the US issue, I decided to track down the original.

I really love the set up of this book which is divided into sections: Forweword; Introduction; The Wines of Italy; Bread; Pizza and Savoury Pastries; Antipasti; Soup and Stock; Pasta; Rice and Polenta; Fish; Meat; Poultry and Game; Vegetables and Salad; Dolci; Cheeses; Preserves; Glossary; Bibliography; Index.

Each section has lots of information. For example the Antipasti chapter includes the Introduction; A guide to Salumi; seperate sections with information about Bresaola, Proscuitto, Olives, Tomatoes, Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar, with a master class and many recipes throughout. Very informative.

I am now very keen for my husband to hunt down one of the rabbits that are currently free-loading on our property so I can try out the rabbit recipes included.

I have tried a number of the recipes, as follows, with good success and the book is already significantly oil smudged.

Bread:
Ciabatta - very easy and tasted great fresh & toasted the next day/s
Foccacia - a little drier than my usual recipe, but I did have to cook it longer than recommended to get the colour that I wanted, so probably the reason, but I will stick to my usual recipe on this one. Again, great toasted the next day and drizzled with olive oil.
Rice:
Mushroom & Saffron Risotto (sans saffron) - I have had varying success with risotto and as it is a bit of a non-event with my kids, I don't get to practice very often. This one worked out great - my husband and I loved it - kids, as expected, totally disinterested.
Pasta:
Summer Herb Cannelloni - this was very involved as it required making Fresh Pasta, Bechamel Sauce and Tomato Passata as well as the cannelloni filling ingredients. Totally worth it, it was excellent.

There are many other recipes I have marked to try - particularly during summer when we are producing a lot of veggies from our garden.

I am very happy with my purchase and I will be using it often.