Profile for Faith > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Skins A200 Long Women's Compression Tights - Black/Black, S
Skins A200 Long Women's Compression Tights - Black/Black, S

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but slightly see-through., 15 Sep 2014
Have been a fan of Skins for years, and these leggings are great. I don't know how much of it is psychological, but I really feel a difference, and muscles do not feel as susceptible to cramp after a workout on a cold day. Only 4 stars as, unlike some other Skins leggings I have had, these are slightly see-through when stretched over the thighs/bum. Not ideal. Also, make sure to use the sizing chart on their website when ordering, rather than going for your "usual" size as they base it off height/weight and it's a reliable system.

Existence
Existence

1.0 out of 5 stars So awful, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: Existence (Kindle Edition)
This is quite honestly the worst book I have ever read. I understand that the story is about a teenager, but it doesn't have to feel like it's written by one. There is some wonderful teenage fiction out there, which can be enjoyed by adults and teens alike (Patrick Ness springs to mind), but this is just awful. There is no depth to the storyline, and the main character falls in love with a "spirit", who is basically stalking her, in the space of about 2 days - very Twilight, not normal. Equally, the main male character is called Dank. Dank! As in, this prison cell is cold, dank and dark. Not the name of a romantic interest. I wouldn't recommend this even if it was free (which it was on iTunes). Seriously, read something else.

The Devil's Looking-Glass: The Sword of Albion Trilogy Book 3 (Sword of Albion 3)
by Mark Chadbourn

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow to start, but great ending., 30 Oct 2012
Considering this is the third book in the trilogy, I'd expected the action to start straight away. Instead, the plot is somewhat stilted at the beginning, I felt like I had to drag myself through the first 70 pages or so (hence the 4 stars).

However, after that, the book was great. Having thoroughly enjoyed the first two books in the series I wasn't let down. It was a good mix of otherworld and historical action, which Chadbourn manages to weave together seamlessly. The twists in the latter half of the book were excellent (I don't want to give them away, but they probably didn't do my blood pressure any favours), and the only disappointment I felt was at the end, when there wasn't any more.

I also have to say I completely loved the development of the relationship between Launceston and Carpenter, so perfectly written between two such flawed characters, who ended up like brothers in the end - watching those two interact was one of the highlights of the book. Although I would say the first book is the best, the whole trilogy is a good read, and definitely worth your time. Here's hoping this isn't the last we've seen of Will Swyfte.

The Blinding Knife: Book 2 of Lightbringer (Lightbringer Trilogy)
The Blinding Knife: Book 2 of Lightbringer (Lightbringer Trilogy)
by Brent Weeks

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 Sep 2012
I was eagerly awaiting this 2nd book in the trilogy, and I wasn't disappointed. The action is fast paced, and never gets boring - the book is over 600 pages long (in hard-back format) but you don't feel the length. The plot developments throughout were a mix of both surprising and expected (not in a bad way), and I have to say I was rooting for the real Gavin at one point. It is a great skill to be able to invoke pity for characters, even when you do not wholly like them, but Weeks is able to do this, and more (I wept with Ironfist near the end). The ending was a sucker-punch, and has left me desperate for more. Unfortunately the next part hasn't even been written yet - gutted!! The only criticism I have is that sometimes the prose jumped around between sentences, leaving you scrambling around for a moment trying to figure out where the author had gone, but not enough to demote from 5 stars. Brilliant read, couldn't put it down.

The character list, glossary, and explanatory appendix about luxin and drafters included at the end was an absolute godsend as well - I wish every fantasy author did this!

I'M A Little Bit Scared Of. . .
I'M A Little Bit Scared Of. . .
by Madi Barrett

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for children, with beautiful illustrations!, 27 Dec 2011
I bought this book for my little cousin, but I do admit I read it myself beforehand. The book centres around things that children may find frightening, just as little Jake does, and is a good way to introduce your children to the idea of admitting their fears. The book is beautifully written and illustrated, without becoming too "grown-up" in the mean time. Both my cousin and I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'd recommend it for children between 5-10 years old, depending on their reading ability.

The Sword of Albion: The Sword of Albion Trilogy Book 1
The Sword of Albion: The Sword of Albion Trilogy Book 1
by Mark Chadbourn

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than expected - can't wait for the next one!, 18 Aug 2010
Although I am an avid fan of Mark's modern-day based fantasy (Age of Misrule etc), I had my doubts about a book based in historical times. Probably due to my failure to engage with the historical fiction of Philippa Gregory etc. And at first, you could well be reading one of those novels. Expect much better written; the detail is absolutely brilliant, I swear Chadbourn must have a time machine - it really feels like you're a part of 1500s. I feel like I know the characters as if they were old friends, and the world they inhabit as if it were my own back garden. And then, of course, something happens, and you remember you picked up this book in the fantasy section, and all is not in line with the history you learnt at school.

Chadbourn weaves a perfect blend of fantasy and reality, blurring the borders between the two. Swyfte is a likeable hero, and you find yourself strongly rooting for him from the get-go.

The ending to the main plot is somewhat predictable (we all know that the Spanish Armada failed, for example), however Chadbourn always likes to leave a curveball at the end, and this one leaves you reeling, and will have you gagging for the next book in the timeline as soon as possible.

Thoroughly recommended, even if you've never read any of Chadbourn's other works, or indeed any historical fantasy before; here, it works, and it will have you hooked.

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Special, 2 May 2010
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
When telling my mother I had a book to lend her, I described it as "something anyone can read" and then she told me she'd just bought it yesterday. Neither of us had to even mention the title to know we were talking about the same book.

This book is pretty unexciting, very untaxing. It's quick and easy to read, which is no doubt to blame for its popularity. Its ease means lots of people who don't normally read have actually finished it, and then thought, "wow, I finished a book, it was great!" Not quite.

You may as well read it, it won't do you any harm. Just bear in mind it's not literary genius. The plot is mostly unbelievable. No one in real life would put up with the male lead's character, not for long anyway.

The Cryptographer
The Cryptographer
by Tobias Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Ethereal, 25 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Cryptographer (Paperback)
This book will stay with you long after you have read it. Although written several years ago now, it has never been more relevant. It's about the man who has created the code for electronic money, and become very rich for it, but everything is not as rosy as it seems. I really don't want to say anything else, or I'll give away the story.
Hill's prose is absolutely beautiful, and it paints an almost ethereal world. Some people have criticsed this book for being too vague in its description of the future, but therein lies its appeal. We already live in the world, and this one is not much different, we don't really need a narrative of all its mundanities; this story is about more than just painting a picture of the future, it is about the relationships, and interplays; it is about the characters, not the background setting.
The ending will have you in tears. I honestly cannot recommend this book enough. One of my top 10 of all time, easily.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2012 3:48 PM BST

Integral USB Splash Drive,USB 2.0, 4GB, Blue,Shock and Water Resistant
Integral USB Splash Drive,USB 2.0, 4GB, Blue,Shock and Water Resistant
Offered by MyMemory

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this product., 2 Dec 2009
I bought one of these earlier this year due to their advertised "durability". What a load of rubbish. It may well survive being splashed, but after less than 6 months use, the metal broke away from the rubber casing whilst attached to my laptop, leaving me unable to get it out without pliers! Lost all my data on it, and now have a useless memory stick. Buy a proper one, not this gimmick.

Integral USB Splash Drive, USB 2.0,2Gb, Blue, Shock and Water Resistant, PC & MAC Compatible, 2 Year Warranty

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this product., 2 Dec 2009