Profile for girlabouttown > Reviews

girlabouttown

sepia ashes
sepia ashes

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncovering family secrets, 2 Dec 2011
This review is from: sepia ashes (Kindle Edition)
Great read. Like the twists and turns of the story, taking you back in time when so many actions were kept secret during the turmoils of conflict, shedding new light on the past. Would recommend this if you like family mysteries, espionage and WWII.

The Gluten-free Baker
The Gluten-free Baker
by Hannah Miles

5.0 out of 5 stars Sumptuous gluten free baking recipes at last!, 30 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Gluten-free Baker (Hardcover)
What can I say, I'm so delighted with this book. I've been waiting for a book like this for a long time, ever since I was a little girl in fact. There have been a few over the years and naturally more recently, but none of them seem to quite thrill me as this book does. I just received it for my birthday and have baked the one on the cover. Wow, it went down a treat with the family that's for sure! I've been 100% coeliac all my life and try as they might, gluten free food and recipe books especially for cakes and bakes, have tended to be quite dry and flavourless, or not quite as pictured (I've had them send from as far away as Australia). One or two old recipes have stood out over time and these have been made to death by me and my family (who aren't gluten intolerant). So when this arrived on my lap I was absolutely thrilled. I'm so excited about the pastry section of the book as well, as I've never ever had profiteroles or vanilla slices before! I can also see that the difference with this book from others is the delicate balance between GF flour, ground almonds, dairy products and xanthan gum, which seems to do the trick by becoming a substitute for the missing gluten and adds lots of flavour to the recipes. Perhaps the problem with a number of GF products is that they have to cater for all manner of intolerances from eggs to dairy, to diabetes, etc, but I'd say this book is not really for a mix of allergies or intolerances - perhaps that could be Hannah Miles's next book? In the meantime this gluten-free book for me is brilliant and I'm over the moon about it - thank you at last!