Profile for Mr. P. Datta > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. Datta

Mr. P. Datta "Pritthijit" (Stockton on Tees, Teesside)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
50 of Greatest Classical Pieces (London Philharmonic Orchestra (LPO)) (X5 Music: X5CD105)

5.0 out of 5 stars Classical music at its best, 20 Oct 2014
Great classical featuring a varied choice of tracks from dome of the grestest composers embracing the scene. I love classical music as it so soothing and relaxing. If you love classical, here is one to add in your collection.

No Safe House
No Safe House

3.0 out of 5 stars Barclay weakest novel, 18 Oct 2014
This review is from: No Safe House (Kindle Edition)
I am a huge fan of Linwood Barclay. The author has established as a fine thriller writer. This novel is linked to the debut novel No time to say Goodbye, following the character of Cynthia who is having a difficult time. The debut novel is far better. I did not particularly like the follow up. I found the story boring, lacking suspense, disjointed and too difficult for me to engage with. It starts fine, when Terry troubled daughter does somethng wrong, then mid way through I completely got lost and skimmed through most as frankly as I was bored.There is reflection to past events, but a bit too much,thus a slow pace. Far too many characters to identify. It is just needless waffle.It made it a hard read for me.The Vince's character purpose is a little confusing for me. I found the characters bland and I did not really care for thm. This is one of the worst and weakest novels of the author. He could not pull it through for me.He wrote much better than this. 3 stars is a fair reflection.

Annabelle [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Annabelle [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Ward Horton

2.0 out of 5 stars Cliched, rushed and lazy piece of horror film making, 11 Oct 2014
The trailer intrigued me to watch Annabelle showing a particular scene. On initial impression, this sounded a promising horror film. I was misled as watching the full movie altered my mind and views. On the basis of what I saw at the cinema hall made me a dissatisfied audience.

So lets cut to the chase, did Annabelle deliver? This is a definite no. Are critics justified for rather negative reviews? Yes, I 100% agree with the movie critics. Why I am so disappointed? I did not find it scary enough to intrigue me. The scary scenes lack originality. For half an hour, electrical devices suddenely keep making strange noises.The story features a young couple with a newborn baby in the 1970s. The house is haunted by evil spirit of a doll and it history. It is too cliched. This is a familar and tired site for horror movies. It needed to vary the scenery and be not afraid to take risks. It is too safe for a horror movie. The family setting in a suburban needs to be look beyond for future horror movie productions. Seeing in few horror movies is enough for me and I want something to wow me. Did it have the wow factor? Take it as a rhetorical question, as we know the answer.

What about the characters? The characters are plain boring. I struggled to engage with the characters featured.To be frank, I did not care for them at all.The build up to the movie needed to be much better. It is too slow.The storyline is not well thought out and predictable. .The doll character is confusing and needed to be better explained in context of the plot.. The movie lost the plot mid way through by showing apparent signs. It appear scripts writers are depleted of ideas to maintain interest levels. It is so rushed and a lazy piece of horror film making. The ending is one of the weakest I have seen in a horror movie. It lacks a solid finishing touch. The script writers lack imagination. To elaborate, script writers show laziness by coming with a silly idea for the ending, as they had no clue what to do and just want to finish, without thinking about the audience.

It did not blow me away at all. I have seen better horror films. 2 stars is a justified reflection. I am being brutally honest, as it is not so good at all and there are plenty of major flaws.Hollywood need to seriously rethink about horror films, as there has not been a descent horror film for some time. Last descent horror movies have been Mama, Sinister and Conjuring. If you appreciate a good movie, look at the ones suggested and give this a miss. The trend continues as Annabelle fails to impress. Conjuring contains plenty of thrills and scary scenes, whereas this one heads the opposite direction. Understanding it relevance to the the sequel is hard me to fanthom. Installment of horror films to me are not worth releasing as they lack the same effect as the first one released if you get what i mean. To elaborate on this point, Conjuring would have been sufficient on its own without a needless and pointless prequel. Another example is Indiscious is much better than the 2nd one, therefore a sequel seemed pointless. Scary dolls are getting boring now for horror films as we seen it before in many films.

The Muppet Movie [DVD]
The Muppet Movie [DVD]
Dvd ~ The Muppets

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless classic, 9 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Muppet Movie [DVD] (DVD)
The Muppets Movie is a timeless classic. Nostalgic memories for me. Jim Henderson is the brain behind this cult. I love the tracks, characters and the humour. One of favourite muppet movies of all time. Glad to add in my dvd collection. Truly recommend for muppet fans

Ghostbusters/Ghostbusters 2 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Ghostbusters/Ghostbusters 2 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Bill Murray

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite 80s movies, 5 Oct 2014
Ghostbusters is undoubtabley one of the most nostalgic movies of the 80s. In 1984, I was a wee kid watching Ghostbusters and I got easily scared as a six years old. The scene showing the ghost in the library scared me the most, making a sudden howling noise. The face of the ghost pertified me at the time. I covered my eyes accompanied by my parents.. In 1988, a sequel was released. Ghostbusters 2 worked well, even though it did not receive favorable reviews by critics. The special effect superb at the time, but obviously outdated now.

Ghostbuster is about a group of mad scientists with a point to prove about supernatural activities. The trio get expelled from the University and decide set up their own business setting up Ghostbusters. Do ghosts really exist? New York is haunted by supernatural activities.. The business is under investigation from authorities. Csn they convince the auhtorities? Ghostbusters 2 builds on the same theme about evil spirits concerning a sinister art potrait with a history to unfold.

Ghostbusters is a big name movie of the 80s. The nostalgic value of the franchise is enormous It features classic soundtracks like Who are you going to call? Ray Parker Jnr. The humour and characters stand out really well, as each character are different. The subject matter of supernatural activities is fascinating to explore. Ghostbusters maintains balance between Egan, the intelligence one. Peter, a showman, Ray, wn inventor and Winston, religious.

I am pleased to add Ghostbusters in my growing blue ray collection. I love it. If you are fan of 80s movies, Ghostbusters is a great choice. It is fun and entertaining science fiction film.

Burn: (Michael Bennett 7)
Burn: (Michael Bennett 7)
by James Patterson

4.0 out of 5 stars Michael Bennett returns for another case, 3 Oct 2014
James Patterson should focus on few characters such as Michael Bennett and Alex Cross.These characters work well as opposed to other characters featured in his novels. Burn opens up another case for the dedicated police officer and devoted family man. The character surfaces well on two levels. Burn is a follow up to previous novels, as he destroyed a criminal network and under protection. He resumes the role as NYPD dectective in dealing with keeping the streets of New York safe from criminals. He is hardworking and always seek for justice. He is now part of the shake up facing the New York police department. He is dealing with a sickening case. The details are too graphic to add in the review. This new viscious criminal network needs to be stopped. The plot is gripping and enthralling. The pace is fast Patterson has painted a picture of how a police department operates and dealiing with problems sweeping streets of New York. The balance between Benett characterisation on two levels work well. I enjoyed the novel. Bennett is one of my favourite characters of the author. I cannot wait to see what happens next.

Kingdom of Darkness (Wilde/Chase 10)
Kingdom of Darkness (Wilde/Chase 10)

4.0 out of 5 stars A top writer in adventure thrillers, 27 Sep 2014
Macdermott latest novel is filled with action, excitement and thrills. Our favourite duo Eddie, Yorkshire man and ex SAS and Nina, American and hungry archaeologist Nina are involved in another discovery.

Eddie and Nina decide to take a rest, but suddenely are embroiled in another archaelogical discovery. The Nazis have followed the duo in LA, where the couple are having fun and distancing from work matters. Nina has resigned from the role as head of IHA.This new dicovery concerns Alexandra the tomb in Egypt. It requires guarding as it holds valuable treasures. A new set of villians are determined to get their hands on the goods. What are their motives? What is the significance of these treasures? Will the duo save the day?

Kingdom of Darkness is a follow up from previous novels. It is enthralling and fast paced. If you like a high octance adventure thriller, Andy Macdermott I would strongly recommend. He is one of the leading adventure writers alongside Clive Clusser and Wilbur Smith.

Lucy [Blu-ray] [2014]
Lucy [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Scarlett Johansson

2.0 out of 5 stars Pointless and confusing, 26 Sep 2014
This review is from: Lucy [Blu-ray] [2014] (Blu-ray)
Lucy is a pointless film. I could not really connect to the film. A scientific theory turning into a reality. Is that really possible? Are we living in cloud cukoo land? I found the film confusing and too rushed. The film heads no direction at all. The script writing misread the audience. Morgan Freeman, an accomplished actor did not save the film at all. Scarlett Johnson is not so great in the role. I found the character bland and annoying. I struggled to connect with the character.I did not find the film enthralling at all. It lasts only 1 and half hours. This suggest to me that script writers seem to be depleted with ideas. Any longer, it would get plain boring and even ridiculous. Only 2 stars can awarded by me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2014 6:29 PM BST

White Settlers [DVD]
White Settlers [DVD]
Dvd ~ Pollyanna McIntosh

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 star absolutely dire, 20 Sep 2014
This review is from: White Settlers [DVD] (DVD)
White Settlers heads no direction at all. The remote and isolated settings fails to create an impact. The acting is wooden. The characters are plain boring. There is no element of suspense. It is poorly delivered. It is pointless. I did not like at all. This is an example of shoddy work. 1 stars all it deserves.

Earth to Echo [Blu-ray]
Earth to Echo [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Teo Halm

3.0 out of 5 stars Watchable, 20 Sep 2014
This review is from: Earth to Echo [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Earth to Echo is a science fiction movie. There are similarities shared with iconic 80s movies such as ET and the Explorers. It is movie targeted at kids. Adults would look at in a different light like myself.

What is it about? It is about inseparable friendships between Tuck, Martin and Alex. The bonding between the boys is nice to admire. Things about to change, as their neighbourhood is destroyed by a highly constructionn project, thus forcing a move. Before they move, a series of strange of signals suddenly appear on their phones. It is frightening.This takes the lads on a long journey of self discovery. What do they discover? What impications does it have?

What are my views? The pace of the movie is on the slow side. The subject matter is fascinating to discover the unknown. It is an updated version of old classics. It keeps you intrigued at certain points. I did enjoy it. I would say no way as good as classics. On balance, three stars is a fair reflection. If you enjoyed extra terrestrial movies, it is worth watching. I would not rate this movie too higjly

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20