Profile for Robert Wells > Reviews

King of the Badgers
King of the Badgers
by Philip Hensher

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware the Neighbourhood Watch!, 11 Sept. 2012
This review is from: King of the Badgers (Paperback)
The characters in this book really draw you into their strange, small-town lives. Occasionally bordering on the absurd, the interlocking stories and perfectly-pitched humour will have you turning the pages as fast as you can. Beautifully written, it is a joy to read and comes highly recommended. I know it's a cliché, but I really couldn't put it down. Beware the Neighbourhood Watch!

What Am I Still Doing Here?: My Life as Me
What Am I Still Doing Here?: My Life as Me
by Roger Lewis

4.0 out of 5 stars The Grinch isn't just for Christmas, 11 Sept. 2012
Having been introduced to Roger Lewis' unique take on life through the outstanding 'Seasonal Suicide Notes', I thought this latest book would make perfect holiday reading for the beach. It is the memoir of one year in the author's life, interspersed with tales of the lives of elderly relatives. After a bit of a slow start, by the time I got to April I was frantically scribbling in the margins and folding page corners, noting down comments and anecdotes I fully intend to repeat in future to make myself look better educated and more intelligent than I really am. I do hope Mr Lewis' liver holds out long enough to churn out a few more gems like this to keep me amused on future holidays.