Profile for T. Ross > Reviews

Content by T. Ross

T. Ross (Worthing, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Aqua Sphere Kaiman Men/Lady Goggle Easy Adjustable Mens/Ladies Swimming Goggles
Aqua Sphere Kaiman Men/Lady Goggle Easy Adjustable Mens/Ladies Swimming Goggles

5.0 out of 5 stars Suck-your-eyeballs-out tight!, 19 Aug 2013
I've been swimming all my life and have never been able to get on with swimming goggles, mainly because, however much I've spent on them, they have always leaked. I've talked to swimming pool and sports store staff about it, but never managed to make them work... until now.
I actually bought my pair in a shop as I wanted to try them on first. I pressed them over my eyes and instantly it felt like both my eyes were being pulled out of their sockets. Honestly! When I use them I have to be careful NOT to make the seal too tight. The straps, which I used to have so sight they were almost leaving grooves in my head (and still ended up with leaks), almost seem redundant. I swim in the choppy English Channel and they have never leaked and always stayed clear (so far.)

Cloud Atlas
Cloud Atlas
by David Mitchell
Price: 8.09

5.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Masterpiece, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
Quite simply, Cloud Atlas is a masterpiece of modern literature to rival the likes of Brave New World and 1984.
I bought the book because, having been tempted by the film's trailer, I was unable to go and see the film.
I suppose I was expecting Dan-Brown-like writing with short, punchy chapters, quickly flitting from one character or scene to another and then back again. What I got instead was what at first appeared to be a series of short-stories, each brilliantly written in their own distinct literary style, but with no apparent connection. However, as the book deleveloped, gradually, almost imperceptibly, the threads and and clues to the whole began to emerge.
If you like books with richness and depth, Cloud Atlas is a brilliantly original and intelligently written work of art. If, on the other hand, you've never read anything beyond Jackie Collins or Andy McNab, it may not be for you, nevertheless, I strongly recommend you give it a try; it will open your eyes to what fiction truly can be.
One word of advice though, the literary style in the book's many sections are quantum leaps apart, so you'll find yourself starting off with something that reads like a 19C novel and then jump to early 20C letters. This takes a little getting used to, but once you know it's coming, you actually find yourself itching to get to the next section... er... a la Dan Brown!

Rivers of London (PC Peter Grant Book 1)
Rivers of London (PC Peter Grant Book 1)
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, enjoyable romp, 24 Mar 2013
Forget the Harry subtitle on the front cover - it's more like No1 Ladies Detective Agency meets Bewitched. If you don't take it too seriously, this is actually quite a fun run. The word 'magic' in what is essentially a crime novel for adults jarred a bit a first, but stick with it. It's funny, the characters are likeable and by the end you'll probably look forward look forward to the next one.

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days Book 1)
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days Book 1)
by Susan Ee

4.0 out of 5 stars The Hunger Games with angels, 22 Feb 2013
I always reckon it's a sign of readable and enjoyable book if you look forward to the next time you can sit down and carry on reading. It must also be a good sign if, when you get to the end the end, you hope that there will be a sequel. Indeed, Susan Ee's website subtitles this book "Penryn & the End of Days, BOOK 1" - which is a good sign. It's pacey, written in a very approachable style and not nearly as unoriginal as my review title might imply. I think what I'm trying to saying to say is that it is Hunger Games-ISH. I would have liked to give the book 3 1/2 stars, for, though it was a 'good read', I was left feeling a little unsatisfied with the lack of explanation as to how and why the world Susan Lee portrays has ended up the way it is. It was as though the book were missing a prologue. In some ways it felt like it was a book two of trilogy rather than a book one. It's not quite as good as the Hunger Games, but if you enjoyed that you'll enjoy this book... and probably look forward to book two, as I will.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Forest Gump meets Mr Magoo, 7 Feb 2013
OK, my review's title is a little unfair since it implies a lack of originality, but that's not what I intended; I simply couldn't think of a better way of summing the book up in a nutshell. I was hooked from the first chapter. This charming, funny book will have you believing, and checking Wikipedia for, every unlikely historical plot twist. Well written and beautifully characterised, it's gentle, anarchic humour (which thankfully doesn't rely on geriatric stereotypes)will leave you resolved to stretching, in your extremely-latter years, the mores of society just a bit further than the bounds of respectability... and enjoying it.

Panasonic NN-E271WMBPQ 20 Litre Compact Microwave, White
Panasonic NN-E271WMBPQ 20 Litre Compact Microwave, White
Price: 56.50

3.0 out of 5 stars A little on the small side, 30 Jan 2013
This does the job for the price - kinda. We didn't want a mammoth microwave for our tiny kitchen, but this is really quite small. It JUST fits our standard sized dinner plates (though Panasonic designers clearly have flat rather than round fingers,) but our microwave bacon crisper jams on the sides and won't go round.
The other annoying thing is that you have to press a button that says "micropower" BEFORE you press the timer buttons BEFORE you press "start" in order to microwave anything. Why? Why is there a "micropower" button - it's not like it does anything else. There's no choice for "nuclear fusion" for instance, or "gamma rays". It just a microwave. Now in my Batmobile I've got a button which says both "car" and "hoverjet" - but that's because I've got both those options fitted - there are no ther options with this microwave. You either want your food microwaved or you don't. If you want it microwaved you just want to stick it in, select the time and press "go".
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2014 9:27 PM BST

SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB USB Memory  - Frustration Free Packaging
SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB USB Memory - Frustration Free Packaging
Price: 4.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile and Reliable, 30 Jan 2013
I used these for all kinds of things. I have one in my car radio permanently plugged in with my redcord collection on. I've got a couple that I use to back up holiday photos on to. Whenever I get back from my holidays I'll buy one, stick all the photos straight from the camera on to it and attach a key-ring label with the holiday name and date. That way I've got the original before I start editing, deleting etc.

The Sword Of Shannara: Shannara: Book One
The Sword Of Shannara: Shannara: Book One
Price: 5.99

2.0 out of 5 stars No, its not The Lord of the Rings... or is it?, 30 Jan 2013
I quite enjoyed the Genesis of Shannara series so I thought I'd try another of Terry Brooks series. Sadly, apart from finding myself skipping through pages to try and to the next part where something interesting was going to happen to the story line, I also found myself drawing parallels with The Lord of the Rings all the way through. Frustrated with drawn out pace (...and then nothing happened) and disappointed and the lack of originality, I gave up after about 150 pages.

I Grew Up in the 60's
I Grew Up in the 60's
Price: 9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I remember..., 30 Jan 2013
A great collection of songs that make you go, "oh yeah, I remember that one" with the added bonus of several key theme tunes from 60s TV.

Cliff Diving 3D
Cliff Diving 3D
Price: 0.61

1.0 out of 5 stars To tricky and not sticky, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Cliff Diving 3D (App)
Tried this for about 10 minutes but found that trying to get a decent dive was the difference between "tap-tap" and "tap--tap" or "tap---tap".
Couldn't get much beyond the first couple of dives. This games falls into the "life's too short" category of games that need to be consigned to App oblivion.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3