Profile for Mr. N. M. Hornby > Reviews

Content by Mr. N. M. Hornby

Mr. N. M. Hornby "nhornby" (united kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Palit Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Card (4GB, GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0)
Palit Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Card (4GB, GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0)

5.0 out of 5 stars GTX 970 - What a card!!, 10 Oct. 2014
I've had this card about a fortnight now and I love it!

It runs ALL my games on ultra settings at smooooth framerates. I play intensive games such as Crysis 3, Farcry 3 & Battlefield 4 with well over 100fps on BF4, 60fps on Farcry 3, and 30fps on Crysis 3 with maxed AA(or 50fps without AA maxed)

I have not experienced coil whine like the other reviewer, and whilst it is noisier than my previous card( Palit GTX770 OC) it doesn't bother me, especially when I have my headphones in.

This card idles at around 34c for me with a maximum temperature of 79c

If you'd like to see this card in action check out my YouTube channel: hornby4092, the frames for each game I've tested are all in the description.

To summarise, this card is a beast and is well worth the money. I only paid £245 for this on release day, so if you can get it for around the £250 mark it is worth buying over the more expensive models which give only you 3-5% performance increase for £30-40 extra

Cheers :)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2015 12:34 PM BST

Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide 2 Limited Edition of 6,666 [DVD]
Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide 2 Limited Edition of 6,666 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jake West

4.0 out of 5 stars A deserving sequel to the most comprehensive guide on Video Nasties!, 20 July 2014
Nucleus has hit the nail on the head again with part 2 of their definitive guide to video nasties.

The overall packaging looks great although I was disappointed with the choice of artwork postcards(Werewolf Woman, Headless Eyes, Naked Fist, & The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) I would have much preferred titles such as Martin, Nightmare City, Rosemary's Killer, & Xtro. But that's just personal preference.

The documentary itself was interesting and quite endearing at times, but most of all it was informative and highlighted just how much effort the BBFC and British government into censoring for "our safety" by discussing class division and ageism.

Okay, so I haven't watched all the introductions and trailers of the 82 films on the Section 3 list(I've only watched the first disc) but I can wholly understand why these didn't make the DPP 72. The majority of these films are tamer in comparison with the DPP 72 although the films on this list generally offer more merit than the 72 which could also be a factor as to why these didn't end up with the likes of Snuff and Island of Death.

Overall I enjoyed the second part and will watch it again at some point. I still prefer the first one for the nostalgia factor, hearing about the original titles like I Spit On Your Grave, Driller Killer, and Zombie Flesh Eaters as a schoolboy and actively seeking them out. Not to mention the pure sleaziness of the artwork and content, which ultimately endeared me to them.

Hopefully we'll see a part 3 in the not too distant future which will discuss the censorship of gems such as Dario Argento's Demons, Maniac, My Bloody Valentine, and The New York Ripper.

HTC One M8 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Gunmetal Grey
HTC One M8 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Gunmetal Grey
Offered by EAGLE UK STORE

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent device, a serious contender for phone of the year...., 23 April 2014
I received this phone yesterday(22/04/14) and after using it for 24 hours I thought I'd chip in my two cents.

The build & looks; This phone is the most premium device I have ever owned, the quality is excellent and feels a lot more superior than my previous phones such as the Galaxy S3 & S4. Not only does it feel premium but it looks it, the brushed aluminium looks fantastic although my only issue is that it may be susceptible to scratches, although that's what cases are for. The 5 inch 1080p screen is excellent although not as vibrant as I hoped, it provides great clarity and realistic colours. Build & looks 9/10

Software; I moved back over from Samsung's after a long hiatus with HTC and I'm highly pleased with the software. It runs on android 4.4 Kitkat and comes with HTC Sense 6.0 as its user interface. It feels a lot more vanilla than Samsung's Touchwiz UI and keeps bloatware to a minimum.It's easy to use and responsive and comes with some very cool features(TV mode is one of them). The only thing I wasn't keen on is the fact I was unable to set up new folders for my apps from scratch, so have to put apps into existing folders, this is an issue I've noticed a few people have picked up on. The phone also allows you to transfer files, contacts, settings etc from your old phone simply by installing a HTC app on your old phone and then transfers it over WiFi.Excellent!! Overall I give the software 9/10

Camera; The phone comes with a 4 ultrapixel camera and a 5megapixel front facing camera. I was thoroughly impressed with the front facing camera although the 4 ultrapixel back camera was a little disappointing in daytime shots but was impressive in low-light shots. There is also an abundance of camera features to tinker with. For their next device I think HTC should switch to using megapixel over ultrapixel to keep up with the likes of Nokia, Samsung and Sony. Camera 7/10

Performance; I was seriously impressed with punch this phone packs. I downloaded AnTuTu benchmark software from the Google Play store and proceeded to test my device.The score came back at 20000 which was the same as the Sony Xperia Z, I was gutted seeing that my new spec device was comparable to a 2013 phone....and then I realised I had power saving switched on. Suffice to say I re-ran the test and got a whopping 36000, which topped the table, beating the Galaxy Note 3 roughly 2000. Evidently this phone is a powerhouse and guess what.....it can be pushed even further.

If you go into settings, then software information, then more and then press build number 6 times and you will have unlocked Developer Options. This will now be available on your Settings screen and by clicking on it will give you access to High Performance Mode....activating this will beef up your phones power(it increased my AnTuTu score to over 37000) but beware it hammers the battery. Performance 10/10

Battery; The HTC One M8 comes with a 2600mAh built in battery. Although not as high as its rivals the Galaxy S5 and Xperia Z2 it is still very good. I have had just over 24 hours of moderate usage and it has still got 20% left on the battery!! Hopefully it will continue to perform well over the coming months. Battery 8.5/10

Speakers; Comes with Boomsound audio and seriously does not disappoint, best speakers I've ever heard on a mobile phone 10/10

Although I have been largely positive so far regarding the phone there are a few niggles, the battery takes a good two hours to charge which is a bit of a let down and Quickcharge 2.0 is currently not available on this device. Secondly there has been issues with WiFi connectivity dropouts, a problem which has been brought up on Android forums.

Overall the HTC One M8 is an excellent device and potentially phone of the year. If your into gimmicks and features such as dust and water resistance then this phone may not be your cup of tea as it offers none of them. What it does offer is a high quality device which packs in useful features whilst keeping bloatware to a bare minimum. If you pick this device up in the UK you will also receive a gel case with it.

Hope this has been helpful :)

Deep Red [Blu-ray] [1975] [2010][Region Free]
Deep Red [Blu-ray] [1975] [2010][Region Free]
Dvd ~ David Hemmings

4.0 out of 5 stars Good release but not Arrow's finest, 21 April 2014
Picked this up last year and just got round to watching it so here's my honest review.

The packaging; I'm not overly keen on the artwork which comes as standard on the front although the reversible sleeves more than make up for it. The double sided poster looks great although I haven't checked out the booklet as apparently the booklet reveals the identity of the killer(which I didn't want to spoil) and since watching have not got round to reading. I give the packaging 7/10

The Video; There's two version of the film on here, the theatrical and director's cut. I watched the DC and was relatively happy with the transfer. There were some flecks of dirt, colour issues and some stuttering later in the film. But I still preferred this transfer to Arrow's City of The Living Dead. For PQ I give 6/10

The Audio; comes in both English(2.0) and Italian(5.1) and like some of Arrow's older releases is just a bit underwhelming. Whilst the audio is clear and crisp the musical score sounds a bit flat 6.5/10

The Extra's; Plenty to peruse here with features such as intro to the film by Argento regular Claudio Simonetti, interviews with cast and crew as well as an audio commentary track by Argento aficionado Tom Rostock. There is also the original Italian and US trailers......and did I mention all these features are in 1080p!! For the extra's I give a solid 8.5/10

The film itself; I enjoyed Deep Red although it did feel like it was on just a bit too long so I advise perhaps watching the theatrical version which is roughly 20 minutes shorter clocking in at 1 hour 45. The plot is easy to follow and does offer some trademark Argento moments and the violence does not disappoint. The cinematography and direction here is what really sets Argento apart from other Italian directors such as Fulci.

If your looking for a good Italian horror or are building a collection of Arrow releases then I recommend you add this to your collection. The film's enjoyable the features are plentiful and the packaging is great. If your not one for mystery thrillers then I suggest you check out Demons and Demons 2 by Argento, they are fast paced and great fun and I personally prefer them to this. Overall 7.5/10

Samsung I8160 Galaxy Ace 2 Sim Free Mobile Phone
Samsung I8160 Galaxy Ace 2 Sim Free Mobile Phone
Offered by Shelfone™

4.0 out of 5 stars Galaxy Ace 2 - One year on, 19 April 2014
I purchased this phone in April 2012 because I couldn't justify spending £400+ on a phone.

It's a decent phone, easy to use and pretty sturdy compared to other Samsung phones in the Galaxy range. The screen is 480 x 800 so nothing special compared to other phones but for a budget device it's very good.

The speaker on the phone is just as good as on my old Galaxy S3 and the battery life is equally as good. This would be one of the better budget devices but unfortunately Samsung cocked it up with the Jellybean update they brought out.

My phone went from being relatively nippy(800mhz dual core processor) to suffering from terrible lag thanks to the update. The Jellybean update also allowed for the usage of more Ram but now my apps eat up considerably more so I'm essentially worse off.

I would recommend this phone to those with some knowledge of custom roms so that they could use this phone to it's true potential without being hindered by Jellybean, otherwise I would steer clear and pick up either the Galaxy Ace 3 or the Nexus 4 perhaps.

The Last Of Us (PS3)
The Last Of Us (PS3)
Offered by Korte-EDV Internetmarketing & Vertrieb, Preise inkl. MwSt.

5.0 out of 5 stars My honest review, 19 April 2014
This review is from: The Last Of Us (PS3) (Video Game)
So I'd heard about this game for the last few years but never really paid much attention, I picked up God of War Ascension last year and gave the trailer a go....even though I rarely buy into any hype.

I enjoyed the Demo so much that I decided to get this for myself with a voucher I received for Christmas and it turned out to be the best game I played in several years. The story is immersive and the characters have real depth. The controls, graphics and narrative are all smooth. Upon completion I didn't know what to do with myself as it felt like a chapter on my life had closed.

The only critiques of this game that I have is that there is a lack of variation in enemies although the game is set out in a way so that you aren't stuck fighting the same type of enemies for more than an hour or so. Also I'm not too fond of the water bits, but each to their own.

Overall I give this game 5/5.....if you own a Ps4 and haven't already bought this then I recommend you wait till June and buy it on Ps4 to further improve the experience :)

The Beyond [Blu-ray] [1981] [Region Free]
The Beyond [Blu-ray] [1981] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ David Warbeck

4.0 out of 5 stars Fulci flick gets the treatment it deserves, 19 April 2014
Here's my honest review of the 2011 release of The Beyond

Packaging; One of the best packages Arrow has put together to date. Reversible sleeve with great artwork, a meaty 32 page booklet(featuring several pictures of the original cinema lobby cards), and a reversible poster. This is definitely one of my favourite packages 9/10

Video; I can't really talk about video quality without mentioning the issue with the intro. So Arrow originally released this and the intro of the film was wrongly adjusted to black and white from sepia so Arrow then offered a replacement scheme with the fixed intro, and that's it. So looking at the picture quality I thought the transfer was pretty decent with good clarity and detail although I did notice some fuzziness and some white specs but it didn't really bother me. 6.5/10

Audio; Available in English(2.0 & 5.1) and Italian(2.0). Pretty much your bog standard Arrow audio quality, clear with no dropouts but again a little flat. 7/10

Special Features; spread across two discs with loads to chomp through such as various audio commentary's, several interviews with cast, crew and even Dario Argento, Q&A session with star Catriona MacColl and an international trailer for the movie. 9/10

The film; Okay, I'm not a big fan of the film although I do enjoy it when I watch it every year or two. The acting is pretty decent with an interesting plot and as usual with Fulci, the gore does not disappoint. 6/10

If your a fan of Arrow/Fulci or just a general gorehound I recommend this release. Whilst the film is decent the packaging and extra's really make this edition shine plus the disc replacement scheme shows Arrow cares about its customers which is great. Overall I give this release 8/10

The House by the Cemetery[Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD] [1981]
The House by the Cemetery[Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD] [1981]
Dvd ~ Catriona Maccoli

3.0 out of 5 stars My honest review, 17 April 2014
Over the last few years I have picked up about a dozen of the Arrow slipbox releases and for me this is the worst.....

Arrow's packaging fails to appoints again. As usual comes the 4-way reversible sleeve, a booklet and reversible poster featuring the original VHS artwork :) Overall I give the packaging a solid 7/10

The video; I didn't find the video quality on this release particularly pleasing, there was an substantial amount of grain and some scenes where light noise and softness were very apparent although the colours and depth are relatively decent. I give the video a 5.5/10

Audio; is a stereo soundtrack available in both English and Italian. The sound was very clear with no noticeable dropouts although it was overall a bit flat and lacked immersion. 6.5/10

Special Features; They are in abundance here, with an introduction to the film by star Giovanni Frezza as well as an interview with him. There are also several other interviews with cast such as Catriona MacColl and Sergio Stivaletti and a nice segment of the ladies of Italian horror. One of the best features is the Q & A session. There is also a trailer compilation featuring numerous trailer from cult Italian films, the usual trailers and tv spots are also included. 9/10

The film itself; I didn't particularly enjoy this movie, I felt the acting was bad(even for a fulci movie) and the pacing was far too slow although the gore scenes are thoroughly enjoyable. 4.5/10

Overall whilst this is a decent release by Arrow , I only really recommend for Fulci fan's, as this is definitely one of his weaker pieces. If you like your films better paced I suggest checking out either Zombie Flesh Eaters of The Beyond(My reviews are available for both of them) Overall 6/10 although without the packaging and special features I'd be hard pressed to give this a 4

Maniac Cop [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Maniac Cop [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Tom Atkins
Offered by A2Z Entertains

4.0 out of 5 stars Maniac Cop - Cult 80's flick gets the Arrow treatment, 7 April 2014
I picked this bad boy up about two years ago and have recently began writing reviews so I thought I'd chip in my two cents.

The packaging; As usual Arrow defy the adage "it's on the inside that counts" with it's tasty presentation of Maniac Cop. This edition comes with a four-sided reversible sleeve, a 15 page collectors booklet and a double sided poster with the original theatrical poster artwork on one side and an all new artwork on the other side. 8/10

Video quality; This is by far the best Maniac Cop has looked to date. The picture looks crisp with a small amount of grain, there is plenty of detail, some white flecks appear from time to time but this is in no way an issue. 8.5/10

Audio quality: This release features a very promising stereo soundtrack. Dialogue is clear and balanced whilst the musical score sounds great. The only niggle with this is that during the action scenes the lack of bass leaves the audio a little flat. 7.5/10

The film itself; I first came across this movie when I saw the trailer for it on my VHS copy of retribution. Maniac Cop is an entertaining film which delivers the goods. Written by Larry Cohen(The Stuff and Phonebooth) and directed by William Lustig(Maniac) the film features great performances by Bruce Campbell and the ever reliable Tom Atkins with Robert Z'Dar giving a convincing performance as the titular protagonist. Maniac Cop is an enjoyable amalgam of the action, horror and mystery genres with great set pieces and a interesting plot. 7/10

Special features; plenty to extra's for your amusement here including interviews with Cohen and Lustig, as well as retrospectives and three original trailers. There is also an exclusive introduction to the film by B-movie legend Tom Atkins.

All in all Maniac Cop is an enjoyable, fun flick which delivers great performances on a modest budget. My only minor qualm with this release is that it is missing the alternate ending(to which I had become accustomed too on my DVD copy). I recommend this film and highly recommend the sequel, which ups the ante, and in my opinion is the better of the two.

Overall I give this Arrow release a solid 8/10

If you enjoyed this then be sure to check out my other reviews :)

Vamp [Blu-ray]
Vamp [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Grace Jones
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars 80's cult Vamp flick and another great effort by Arrow, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Vamp [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
If you've read my other reviews then you've probably cottoned on that the only Arrow releases I own are the ones that come in slip-cases, with this being no exception.

The packaging; Arrow shine through again with the packaging; although the reversible sleeve wasn't really to my taste on this one I can see and appreciate the effort that has gone into it. The booklet, as usual, is a decent read and comes accompanied with a reversible poster overall 7/10

Video quality; the video presentation on this is great with the original grain intact providing a nice amount of clarity. The colour levels looked good and there was no defects. 8.5/10

Audio; there is only one track provided with this release, which is disappointingly just mono, although the track itself was clear, crisp with no audible drops so overall I give the audio 7.5/10

Special Features; as usual Arrow do not skimp on the special features with director interviews, retrospective's, behind the scene footage, a theatrical trailer and an introduction to the film by star Robert Rustler.

The film itself is decent B-movie fun and I'd never seen the film until I purchased it(less than £5 on Amazon) and I enjoyed it although I expect its one of them film's which are appreciated more with each viewing. Good performances all round and Dedee Pfeiffer was a babe :P 7/10

This was a decent film made into a great release by Arrow and I can see why it has its cult status. Great Audio/Video and packaging makes this highly recommend for fans of 80's movies/horror and it was a real bargain at less than £5!!

If you enjoyed this, be sure to check out my other reviews :)

Page: 1 | 2