Profile for D. Gray > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Islands [Explicit]
Islands [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, 31 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Islands [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
This is a bit of gem.

It's not been out 2 weeks and I've listened to this perhaps twice a day since then. There's not really any duds here - it's strong from start (and oh my, what a start!) right to the very end (and what a finale it is too!).

It's moody, it's drenched in reverb, and it gives off a night-timey vibe. It's a really, really good record. Go give it a spin.

Nexus 5 Case - Ringke SLIM Case [Free HD Film/Better Grip][SF BLACK] Premium Dual Coated Hard Case Cover for Google Nexus 5 (NOT for New Nexus 5X 2015)  - ECO Package
Nexus 5 Case - Ringke SLIM Case [Free HD Film/Better Grip][SF BLACK] Premium Dual Coated Hard Case Cover for Google Nexus 5 (NOT for New Nexus 5X 2015) - ECO Package
Offered by Ringke Official UK Store

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY!!, 22 Jun. 2014
It's a beautiful minimalistic case, yes, but it will scratch the corners of your Nexus 5 to shreds every time you take it off. It's ruined the corners of my Nexus 5 in just a couple of days - not happy in the slightest.

DO NOT BUY

Craghoppers Men's Kiwi Pro Stretch Active Trousers
Craghoppers Men's Kiwi Pro Stretch Active Trousers
Price: £22.00 - £52.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Bee's Knees, 20 Jun. 2014
These trousers are fantastic. We go out hiking almost every weekend and these trousers are my constant companion. They're comfortable and fit well, and have more than enough pockets for all my bits and bobs.

I wouldn't class these trousers as an every day pair. I reserve them solely for outdoor activities.

Also, take note of everyone's advice - order a size up. I'm normally a 32 inch, but ordered a 34 based on all the reviews and they fit perfectly.

Spigen Google Nexus 5 Case Protective with Front Cover [Slim Armor View] [Smooth Black] Dual Layer Advanced Shock Absorption Protective Case w/ View Window for Nexus 5 - Smooth Black (SGP10792)

2.0 out of 5 stars Spigen Slim Armor View - Let down by the 'View', 20 Jun. 2014
This review is specifically for the View version of this case (the one with the flip cover).

I recently bought a Nexus 5. I was upgrading from a Moto G, and on that phone I had a fantastic flip cover that closed magnetically, and the rear of the case was actually the back of the phone so there was zero bulk added. It was a beautiful bit of kit. So naturally I was looking for something similar for the N5.

But there aren't too many options for a flip cover with the N5 - you have the official case that doesn't close magnetically (and is very expensive), you have a cheap Chinese knock-off, and a myriad of tacky faux-leather cases that I won't go near with a barge pole. Finally, you have the Spigen Slim Armor View... and that's the one I bought.

First impressions are that the case is built to a good standard - it's solid and looks pretty snazzy. Be aware this thing will add BULK to your phone.

Second impression - the window is just a hole. There's no plastic or glass there to protect your phone. I use flip covers for that extra protection, but this hole completely negates the point of the case. It's an utterly bizarre design choice.

And then you have to deal with Spigen's app that lets you use the window to take calls and see your notifications without opening the flap. I'm not exaggerating here when I say that Spigen's app is the buggiest piece of rubbish I've ever used. It's as if they got the work experience boy to code it on his lunch breaks. How on Earth did this thing get past Quality Control?

Luckily there is a third-party app you can use called Style View Cover, but it's built for Samsung phones so there's only limited functionality. It's slow too, and often does the opposite of what you want it to do due to the way it senses if the cover is closed (it uses the proximity sensor, which is quite sensitive).

All in all this case just isn't worth the hassle and I've already taken it off my phone. If they brought out a version without the silly window then I might be tempted to use that. As it stands, however, I'm thoroughly unimpressed by Spigen.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2014 5:13 PM BST

On The Impossible Past
On The Impossible Past

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodness gracious me!, 11 Feb. 2014
This is one of the best albums I've ever heard, and there's not a hint of hyperbole in that statement. This is up there with all the greats.

It's meaty. The guitars chug, the drums pound, and the vocals are so sing-a-long-able it's an absolute joy to listen to this record.

I'm not going to go into too much detail here, but I just need to let you know - you have to listen to this.

The B-Sides
The B-Sides

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsure (but subject to change), 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The B-Sides (MP3 Download)
It does exactly what it says on the tin - this is an album of B-Sides (most, if not all, of these songs have been available previously with single releases).

However, I would much rather have had a "Rarities" collection - songs that got cut from albums, the bonus tracks that came with some album releases (the excellent Blue Dahlia from Handwritten, for example), or material from the iTunes EP.

The reality is we get a record loaded with fairly poor acoustic versions of well-established songs - poor in both audio quality and performance.

That said, this is The Gaslight Anthem, and I'd wager this record will grow on me fairly quickly.

Motorola Flip Door Case Cover for Moto G - White
Motorola Flip Door Case Cover for Moto G - White
Offered by Modern-Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product, 24 Dec. 2013
I bought this because my previous two phones met their end via a smashed screen (and hence why I've bought a Moto G - an inexpensive, but high quality device).

This cover completely replaces the default rear shell - an ingenious way of adding no bulk to the phone. The flip cover is magnetic and will remain closed even if I turn my phone upside down. Through black magic the phone will lock/unlock when you close/open the flip cover.

The aesthetics are very pleasing, and make the phone appear even more premium. The shell is textured, compared to the smooth default shell. In my opinion this allows for a more secure grip on the phone.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2014 4:23 PM GMT

Adam Hall SKDB039 Speaker Stand
Adam Hall SKDB039 Speaker Stand
Offered by Inta-Audio

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for., 30 Nov. 2011
After my shelf began to separate itself from the wall from the weight of my monitors I thought it best to invest in a couple of these. I searched Amazon for a cheap, but quality product - and this is where I ended up. My M-Audio AV40s rest upon them sturdily, and you can fit monitors twice the size of them on these and they still wouldn't peer over the edge.

Also, they're not overly large. There's a piano to one side of my desk, and a drum kit to the other. With careful placement of the triangular base I could set these up without having to shuffle anything else around. These things are both sturdy and relatively compact.

My only niggle is that they arrived without any instructions. It's not difficult to set up, but I did have a couple of strange looking screws left over which I believe are alternative feet.

Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter for MacBook (MC461B/A)
Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter for MacBook (MC461B/A)

5.0 out of 5 stars A confusing item to purchase!, 23 Nov. 2011
My MacBook charger died recently. It was the one that has a connection like the one in the picture above. I took it into the Apple store and showed them it, but they told me they didn't sell that type of connection any more. Unbeknownst to me, and apparently Apple employees, the new connector is exactly the same as the old one - it just looks different.

I found this out when I ordered a charger from here, from CHARGER-4-U. I was expecting the old-style square connector, but I got the new long, thin one. I was ready to return it, but I decided to give it a go and, hey presto, it fit! It was also an official Apple product, so I'm chuffed at that too - it costs £50 to buy one from Apple, or just a little over £20 to buy one from CHARGER-4-U.

Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) Ltd. Edition Film Cell [Blu-ray] [1977]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars Majestic., 13 Sept. 2011
I grew up with revised versions of the 90s, so I've always seen those as the definitive iterations. Therefore the little additions with this version don't bother me. Well, Darth Vader's silent redemption was iconic and will be missed, but the new version is powerful in a different way - he's vocal about his distaste, and it makes me sympathise with him more.

The box set itself is well-designed. There are no opportunities for discs to slide about, and it's feels nice and hefty. I like the poignant cover art - it certainly stands out.

Otherwise, you know what you're getting yourself in for. Ignore the whiners if you know what's good for you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3