Profile for Mr Michael Franklin > Reviews

Content by Mr Michael Fra...

Mr Michael Franklin (Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom)

Cable & Wireless CWSNS-1000 - GPS Navigation System - With UK & European Maps
Cable & Wireless CWSNS-1000 - GPS Navigation System - With UK & European Maps

3.0 out of 5 stars Experiences so far, 20 Nov. 2005
I've got to admit that I bought the C&W GPS because of its price and it seemed to do what I needed. The others didn't stand out e.g. Tom Tom as the feedback was quite mixed. Below are my experiences of the C&W GPS:
* You need to learn what the limitations are - one such one is when the GPS signal isn't strong enough the system freezes - if you press the standby(sleep) button off and on this helps the system to try and find a signal - works most times
* Another limitation is the actual route - I've relied on it to take me the whole way and found that it doesn't always find the quickest/best/avoiding traffic route. From now on I'm going to look at a map for the initial part of the journey and rely upon the GPS half way into my journey.
* As I've got to use the standby(sleep) button to unfreeze the GPS I have occassionally pressed the button to the left which turns the whole machine off. This is frustrating as it takes about 3-5 mins for it to boot and then start navigating.
* More positively, once the GPS gets a signal it tends to keep it (with the help of the sleep button in weak reception areas) and get you to your destination. This is what I guess most people buy this for.
* The map showing you where you are doesn't allow you to zoom out to see the whole recommended jourey, hence the reason to still look at a map mentioned above.
* I don't know if other GPS systems allow you to lower the brightness but with this one I find that at night it tends to illuminate the car. I would prefer to tone it down a bit.
* I've installed the external antennae in the front window and yes, you do need to have it. Saying that though, at least you don't need to pay for it like you do with the Tom Tom.
* I feel that on the whole, the system is fairly good - certainly better than looking at bits of paper nearer to my destination. I still don't feel that the Tom Tom or others are dramatically better. When the technology moves on, I'll look to upgrade in a few years time.
Hope this helps.