Profile for Mr. John E. Bourgaize > Reviews

Content by Mr. John E. Bo...

Mr. John E. Bourgaize "Johnny B" (Austria)

Garmin Nuvi 255W Traffic Widescreen Satellite Navigation System with Full EU Mapping

5.0 out of 5 stars Car navigation, 26 Sep 2008
In my eighties now, I have difficulty reading small print on a map. I live in Central Europe and still drive extensively, with my wife.
I bought the Garmin Nuvi 255WT after looking at everything on the market. The Garmin had the brightest, clearest screen. The maps are easy to read and the voiced instructions clear and precise. A wide choice of languages. Programming a destination is child's play, and can be done before leaving the house.
I do not read the maps while driving. I listen to the voice and my wife monitors the LCD display. On a recent trip into a big city I was apprehensive about finding our hotel among the many one-way streets. The Garmin delivered us to the main entrance of the hotel with no problem. As with many modern inventions, I wonder how I ever managed without a machine like the Garmin during my 65 year motoring history.
No bag is supplied, but I bought a close fitting one from HAMA.
We felt the windscreen glass was too far away, and so I mounted the supplied hard plastc disc on to a flat part of the dashboard. The suction foot of the cradle is mounted on that disc. The cradle can be dismounted in one move, for storage elsewhere. When parking I unclip the Garmin from its cradle and carry it in the top pocket of my jacket.
I also leave the glove box open to show that the Garmin is not stored in there. The box contains nothing but paper items and a small tin of boiled sweets !
The machine and its cradle are manufactured to a high standard. Using a USB2 cable plugged into a PC or laptop one can access Garmin's website
for information and help.
Thoroughly recommended as a good buy.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2011 12:02 AM BST

Freecom 500GB External Hard Drive USB-2 (Silver)
Freecom 500GB External Hard Drive USB-2 (Silver)

5.0 out of 5 stars Storage development history., 19 April 2008
Bought a laptop with 80 GB hard disk. Filled it up with my still photo library. Bought a SONY camcorder with 30 GB integral HD - not enough storage for the raw shots so transferred to the laptop. Ran out of storage space.
I read all the reviews and decided the FREECOM Hard Drive 500 GB External USB-2, Silver would fit the bill.
Amazon did its usual quick delivery job. The machine is a quality product, solidly built and runs absolutely silently. Plugged it into the USB-2 socket and dragged/dropped all the video shots (still and movie) on to it.
I now have many GBs of storage on the laptop available for other uses, and the 30GB storage on the camcorder is more than adequate for the normal shooting I undertake.
I strongly recommend this product to anyone in need of additional storage space.

Sony DCR-SR52 Hard Disc Drive Camcorder With 2.7'' LCD Screen
Sony DCR-SR52 Hard Disc Drive Camcorder With 2.7'' LCD Screen

4.0 out of 5 stars Johnny B., 26 Jan 2008
I am 82 years old and have been interested in all aspects of still photography ever since my mother gave me a Kodak Box Brownie for my twelfth birthday. At this age I no longer want to tote a big bag around with 35mm SLR plus lenses etc, and recently bought a SONY Cybershot digital camera for stills, which slips into the breast pocket of my shirt. I now live 800 miles from my daughters, and decided I should give "camcording" a try to keep them up-to-date with my activities. I discarded the mini-DV and DVD versions, not wanting to tote more stuff about with the camcorder. I settled for the SONY DCR-SR52 HDD. Amazon's speedy and efficient service brought the camera to me within a few days.

The camcorder really does fit into the palm of the hand. Superb build quality. The touch screen took a bit of getting used to, but I now have no difficulty. SONY do not supply a bag with the camcorder, so I bought an inexpensive one, well padded, (I had no desire to carry a bag with SONY written on it - 82 years, white haired, with a stick = easy target for the yobbos,) to give me peace of mind. Practically no weight to carry around, the strap sits comfortably on my shoulder and the bag has a pocket for the only accessory I carry, which is a spare battery. The lower end of the zoom range is useful, otherwise zooming is impractical without a tripod. The supplied battery is too small, the recording time being shortened by the amount of use of the zoom, switching on and off, reviewing the shots etc. I wanted to keep the length of the camcorder down and settled for the H50 version for the second battery. The H100 version would possibly upset the balance in the hand. The remote control gets me into the picture.

I have a PC and a laptop running Windows XP Home. Installation was achieved after I had sussed out what SONY was writing about. Could be clearer.

I am now in the process of editing my trial shots, and find that the editing system is sophisticated enough to give the results I want.

An excellent buy.