Profile for C Cochrane-Davies > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Sweet Salt Air
Sweet Salt Air

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Salt Air, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: Sweet Salt Air (Kindle Edition)
Sweet Salt Air is a beautifully written, thought provoking book.

When two friends get together on the island where they spent their childhood summers to write a recipe book, all kinds of secrets are revealed.

The setting is idyllic, the storyline has enough twists to keep you reading - but is also predictable enough to be comfortable and I fell in love with the characters. It's interesting to see how the author decided each character would react in the difficult scenarios that develop.

All in all, a lovely read which I didn't want to finish - and now that it has, I don't want to start another book just yet!

by Kate Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate 5:2 Diet Recipe Book: Easy, Calorie Counted Fast Day Meals You'll Love, 29 May 2013
Having followed the 5:2 diet religiously since Christmas, I must admit I was getting a bit bored of what I had to eat. It's not that the diet wasn't working (I've lost a stone and a half), it's just that I'd run out of inspiration as to what I could eat. So I was extremely excited when it was announced that there would be a 5:2 Recipe Book to go alongside Kate's original diet book.

With a brief introduction and FAQ at the beginning of the book, there's none of the scary science to confuse, in fact this part is only 32 pages long, and is written in a reader friendly way, with the questions that have been asked frequently on the Facebook page, and a very brief introduction. If you want the science behind the diet, and more in depth instructions as to what to do, I'd suggest you buy Kate's other book.

The rest of the book is dedicated to loads of lovely looking recipes with a collection of beautiful photographs in the middle - thankfully there's not too many photos throughout the book (imagine looking at all those food pictures on a fast day!) as well as a handy calorie calculator at the very back.

The recipes are divided into sections: Great Starts (breakfast and brunch ideas), Super Soups, Hot Stuff (curries and other spicy dishes), Comfort Food, Salad Days, 5:2 To Go (packed lunches etc.), 5:2 On Tour (dishes inspired by travel), 5:2 Treats (dessert ideas) and 5:2 Extras (Salad Dressings etc.) and each section has a "5:2 Lives" page which has real life stories as to how 5:2 has affected different people. Great inspiration when you're feeling the fast day slump! Also in each section there are hints and tips as to how to fit 5:2 into your day to day life - from how to feed your family whilst you fast, to what kitchen essentials Kate recommends.

Overall, it's a great cookbook, with lots of alternatives which mean that there are probably far more recipes than is suggested, written in a lovely friendly manner - and all the recipes have all the ingredients calorie counted as well, so if you leave something out, or change something it's incredibly easy to alter the calorie count to what you have made!

DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Berlin
DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Berlin
by Juergen Scheunemann

4.0 out of 5 stars Top 10 Travel Guide: Berlin, 18 April 2013
After finding the Beijing and Hong Kong versions of this book incredibly helpful, I decided to buy this one when I went to Berlin.

Now, Berlin is quite a complicated place, so it's not really the book's fault that it's not as straight forward as the other two, but we found it to be quite difficult to know which section to look in, and the recommendations in each section weren't as helpful as I would have liked.

However, the insert pocket map is incredibly useful! It has a metro map, a map of the city, and a couple of "Top 10 to do" in different categories, so with children, on a budget, for lunch etc.

I would definitely recommend visiting Berlin, but would say to make sure you have a guided tour as well, don't just rely on a guide book!

The 5:2 Diet Book: Feast for 5 Days a Week and Fast for just 2 to Lose Weight, Boost Your Brain and Transform Your Health
by Kate Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars The 5:2 Diet Book, 18 April 2013
I bought Kate's book in about October, but only really started truly following it from January onwards.

Since then I have lost 8kg, and am back to being a healthy BMI and body fat percentage. The best bit about the diet is that you don't need to spend any money once you've bought the book. No weekly humiliation at meetings, no special food, no long term feeling of deprivation!

The Facebook group mentioned in the book is also a fantastic network for support, and Kate is genuinely enthusiastic about everyone's success, and supportive when people get to the dreaded plateau!

Most of my family are now doing the 5:2 diet, everyone is succeeding on it, and personally I feel so much better!

Librio: Les Caracteres
Librio: Les Caracteres
by Jean de La Bruyère
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Librio: Les Caracteres, 6 Feb 2013
Whilst cheap, the editors have been extremely harsh with their editing, and there is huge amounts of the original text missing. Whilst clear on the back of the book once it has arrived, it's not particularly clear from the Amazon page.

Great if you don't need the whole work. Useless if you do (try the free Kindle download instead!) It is not suitable for university study!!

(This review refers to the Librio: Les Caracters Mass Market Paperchase edition with a red cover that says 2)

Butterfinger Bar 59.5g
Butterfinger Bar 59.5g
Offered by SOUTH AFRICAN FOODS

2.0 out of 5 stars Butterfinger Bar, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: Butterfinger Bar 59.5g (Grocery)
I bought this out of curiousity. I had an Amazon voucher, and thought why not.

I'm not sure I'm glad I did though, the bar was sickly sweet, with only a hint of peanut butter - the taste of butter however almost overwhelming, and not in a good way! Also, I don't know if mine was damaged in the post, but it was very flat and compact - not at all what I was expecting!

Finding Rebecca: A Novel of Love and the Holocaust
Finding Rebecca: A Novel of Love and the Holocaust

5.0 out of 5 stars Finding Rebecca, 3 Feb 2013
An absolutely captivating book, Finding Rebecca starts with a young German boy and Jewish girl growing up on Jersey together between the World Wars. Fast forward a couple of years, and you find Christopher desperately searching for Rebecca in the horror of WW2, working at Auschwitz in order to find her, then using his position to help others once he believes that she has already perished.

A true tear-jerker at times, it was difficult to put down. Dempsey's writing takes you directly into the horror that was WW2, showing Auschwitz from a point of view that I have never seen before. Beautifully researched and wonderfully written.

Bodum Bistro 1.1 L/37 oz Thermo Jug - Black
Bodum Bistro 1.1 L/37 oz Thermo Jug - Black
Offered by Ideabright Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars BODUM Bistro 1.1 Litre/ 37 oz Thermo Jug, Black, 2 Feb 2013
This jug is quite simply AMAZING.

It is large enough for 3/4 mugs of drink, keeps it warm for hours on end and is completely drip proof, whilst still being easy to use and pour from.

For example, I filled it yesterday morning, however didn't finish it. When I went to refill it this morning, the water was still lukewarm - not boiling, but that was a good 24 hours later.

I have found it to be the perfect study/diet tool, having enough hot water on my desk for multiple cups of tea keeps me out of the kitchen, when I can be using my time more efficiently.

The Magdalene Conspiracy
The Magdalene Conspiracy

2.0 out of 5 stars The Magdalene Conspiracy, 11 Dec 2012
It's a shame how badly written this novel is really. It has so much potential, however is ruined by the lack of proof reading and far too much unnecessary detail.

For instance the author alternates between using correct Roman numerals for the popes (eg. XII) and incorrect ways of writing it (X11). It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't that it was alternating between styles, even within the same paragraph. I also didn't like how one of the main characters alternates between being called "E" and "Edoardos", both in speech (which could be explained by nicknames) but also in the prose, which doesn't make sense, again without any consistency. The repetition of unnecessary information throughout the book, such as why Pope Callixtus chose that name, makes for incredibly dull reading, and all this makes it seem like this is a draft version of the book rather than something that should actually have been published.

The large lumps of historical background information (at least two chapters on the history of Venice) are much better written compared to the rest of the novel, which almost makes me wonder if they were written for something else - something that had been proof read.

The story does have potential, which is why the book gets two stars, however it clearly hasn't been proof read, and needs a lot of work before it would make for pleasant reading.

Aladdin 0.35 Litre Sustain Papillon Traveller, Grey
Aladdin 0.35 Litre Sustain Papillon Traveller, Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Aladdin 0.35 Litre Sustain Papillon Traveller, 27 Nov 2012
I love this mug. I take it with me to uni almost every day. Whilst it may not keep the drink warm for as long as a Thermos, today the tea was at a perfect temperature to drink an hour later. I don't need it to keep my drink warm for long, my main concern is that I can drink straight from the mug easily, and that it doesn't leak all over my notepads and books once it is empty and thrown in my bag. However, I can even throw this in my bag whilst it's full!

Postitives
+ secure, leakless lid
+ easy to drink direct from mug

Negatives
- doesn't keep drink warm for more than a couple of hours

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6