Profile for C Cochrane-Davies > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Secret River
The Secret River

3.0 out of 5 stars The Secret River, 4 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Secret River (Kindle Edition)
I found The Secret River to be very hard going. It took me a week to finish, despite most books taking me a couple of hours - because I simply did not get on with it!

The main character William Thornhill came across to me as a completely selfish man, so distracted by his wish to own property Australia that he was willing to ignore his wife's wishes, and even murder the aborigines who dared to continue their life on "his" land.

I can't deny that the book was well written, nor will I deny that I can see why so many people have recommended it to me, I just didn't feel that I could relate to any of the characters - and I didn't feel that I wanted to relate to any of the characters.

Rescue Me (a quirky romance novel about secrets, forgiveness and falling in love)

4.0 out of 5 stars Rescue Me, 4 Feb. 2012
I wasn't expecting much from "Rescue Me" but I had just finished a hard read, so was wanting something light and easy to tide me over until I could face something more substantial.

However, I really enjoyed it - even if it was a bit predictable at times! It's funny, and to use the book's description - quirky.

I got this book as a free download, but I don't think I would have paid £3 for it - which is where it loses the fifth star. However, I do often forget that before my Kindle £3 was very cheap for a book!

'Like this Book' - A Facebook Experiment
'Like this Book' - A Facebook Experiment

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Like this Book' - A Facebook Experiment, 4 Feb. 2012
"Like this Book - A Facebook Experiment" is light hearted and made me laugh out loud in places - despite the odd looks from the other people around me!

It may seem a bit of a crazy idea - it is a crazy idea to run your life around Facebook - however it is fun to read, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series...

The Alchemist's Secret (Ben Hope, Book 1)
The Alchemist's Secret (Ben Hope, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Alchemist's Secret, 24 Jan. 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed The Alchemist's Secret. It's very similar to the Dan Brown novels, but cheaper - and less academic. An ex-army man who spends his life hunting down missing children is roped in to the search for an ancient scroll and accidentally involves an outcast (female) scientist, who he then falls in love with despite them being hunted by a renowned torturer hired by an arm of the Catholic church.

OK, maybe it's a bit too extreme to be realistic, but isn't that what reading is for - to escape reality?!

A Flicker of Light
A Flicker of Light

5.0 out of 5 stars A Flicker of Light, 22 Jan. 2012
A Flicker of Light is set in Germany during the Second World War, and against this dark background, there is indeed a flicker of light. Roberta Kagan has created believable characters who don't give up hope, however bad things seem.

A pregnant girl escapes the Lebensborn program, and finds herself with a kind older couple who adopt her as a niece.

A Jewish doctor in training is forced out of his life thanks to Nazi legislation and ends up living in the forests of Germany.

The story is how the story of these two people interlink and it is beautifully written, not shying away from the more gruesome parts of the war - the human experimentation, rape, murder. It is an emotional read about a part of Nazi doctrine that I knew little about, and so was also educational for me.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has an interest in historical fiction - although make sure you have an afternoon to spare, I couldn't put it down!

Curse of the Kingsmans
Curse of the Kingsmans

2.0 out of 5 stars Curse of the Kingsmans, 21 Jan. 2012
First things first: this book is not about Carcassonne - whatever the cover implies!

The book is set in 17th century England, about a girl who elopes with an inappropriate Earl and discovers a smuggling ring. I can't tell you much more of the plot without spoiling the plot - because there isn't a whole lot more to it!

I loved the idea of the story, it could have been a very good book, I just felt that it wasn't written or edited particularly well. I know it is the curse of reading on Kindle, but it was full of grammatical and typographical errors. The characters weren't particularly well developed, and at certain points seemed completely ridiculous.

The Curse of the Kingsmans gets it's two stars for the fact that it was a quick easy read, with a plot line that I enjoyed, but loses the rest for the quality of writing.

A Breath Of Snow And Ashes: (Outlander 6)
A Breath Of Snow And Ashes: (Outlander 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Breath of Snow and Ashes, 20 Jan. 2012
I began reading Diana Galbaldon's Outlander series in September, and I must admit that I was beginning to become a bit disillusioned by the series. I absolutely loved the first couple of books, but by The Fiery Cross I was becoming a bit bored to be completely honest.

This could possibly be because I read 5 extremely long books in 3 months, but the characters were beginning to grate on me. Looking at reviews for The Fiery Cross I see that I was not the only one to find this.

A Breath of Snow and Ashes however was much more what I had come to expect from Gabaldon - action, twists and credible relationships between the characters. I'm once again looking forward to the next book, which is a shame as I know that once I have finished An Echo in the Bone I will have to wait for the next one to be released!

For anyone who has finished The Fiery Cross and is tempted to stop reading there, don't! A Breath of Snow and Ashes is definitely worth reading - bringing back the characters I have come to love in the last couple of months, in a story that I could only put down when I absolutely had to!

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

5.0 out of 5 stars The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, 20 Jan. 2012
Have you ever noticed that your mood when you start reading a book can often affect your final opinion of it? I started this book thinking that it would be an OK read at best.

It was so charming however that by the end I was completely involved in all of the characters - despite the slight distance that comes from a book written through letters. At the beginning I found the fact that it was written through letters off putting, but it didn't take long for me to almost forget about them, and they certainly do not detract from the joy this book gave me.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is uplifting and thought provoking, which allowed me to view a side of WWII that I hadn't heard much about, and which I found absolutely fascinating. I will definitely be recommending it to friends and family.

Seven Days To Say I Love You
Seven Days To Say I Love You

5.0 out of 5 stars Seven Days to Say I Love You, 14 Jan. 2012
I did not enjoy this book.

It is a beautifully written account of a close family members death, so I guess it is not to be enjoyed. In fact, I was sat on the train close to crying - if I wasn't on the train, determined not to cry I think I probably would have done.

However, it is definitely worth the 5 stars every reviewer has given it - it is brutally honest, sad, but uplifting at the same time.

Wicked Rake, Defiant Mistress (Mills & Boon Historical)
Wicked Rake, Defiant Mistress (Mills & Boon Historical)

4.0 out of 5 stars Wicked Rake, Defiant Mistress, 13 Jan. 2012
I'm going to break the mould a bit and give "Wicked Rake, Defiant Mistress" 4 stars.

I enjoyed reading it, and whilst it may not be highbrow literature, I was expecting a lot less from the title! I have to admit that Regency romances are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, and I was pleasantly surprised in this one that the "Defiant Mistress" was actually defiant - or at least compared to many of her counterparts in other similar books.

I found it to be a nice easy read, with twists that I did not expect, and a satisfying happy ending - just what I needed!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6