Profile for C Cochrane-Davies > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Magdalene Conspiracy
The Magdalene Conspiracy

2.0 out of 5 stars The Magdalene Conspiracy, 11 Dec. 2012
It's a shame how badly written this novel is really. It has so much potential, however is ruined by the lack of proof reading and far too much unnecessary detail.

For instance the author alternates between using correct Roman numerals for the popes (eg. XII) and incorrect ways of writing it (X11). It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't that it was alternating between styles, even within the same paragraph. I also didn't like how one of the main characters alternates between being called "E" and "Edoardos", both in speech (which could be explained by nicknames) but also in the prose, which doesn't make sense, again without any consistency. The repetition of unnecessary information throughout the book, such as why Pope Callixtus chose that name, makes for incredibly dull reading, and all this makes it seem like this is a draft version of the book rather than something that should actually have been published.

The large lumps of historical background information (at least two chapters on the history of Venice) are much better written compared to the rest of the novel, which almost makes me wonder if they were written for something else - something that had been proof read.

The story does have potential, which is why the book gets two stars, however it clearly hasn't been proof read, and needs a lot of work before it would make for pleasant reading.

Aladdin 0.35 Litre Sustain Papillon Traveller, Grey
Aladdin 0.35 Litre Sustain Papillon Traveller, Grey
Offered by Culinaris Küchenaccessoires - Wir bringen Sie zum Kochen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aladdin 0.35 Litre Sustain Papillon Traveller, 27 Nov. 2012
I love this mug. I take it with me to uni almost every day. Whilst it may not keep the drink warm for as long as a Thermos, today the tea was at a perfect temperature to drink an hour later. I don't need it to keep my drink warm for long, my main concern is that I can drink straight from the mug easily, and that it doesn't leak all over my notepads and books once it is empty and thrown in my bag. However, I can even throw this in my bag whilst it's full!

Postitives
+ secure, leakless lid
+ easy to drink direct from mug

Negatives
- doesn't keep drink warm for more than a couple of hours

Aladdin 0.6 Litre Bento Lunchbox, Purple
Aladdin 0.6 Litre Bento Lunchbox, Purple

4.0 out of 5 stars Aladdin Bento Box, 29 Oct. 2012
First of all, I would definitely recommend shopping around for this item - Amazon is not the cheapest place to but then! (Currently Dunelm has them for £10.99)

Having said that, I really like my Bento Box. It keeps my food warm for as long as I need it to (admittedly only an hour or two) and is leak proof as long as you don't fill it too much.

Take this morning for example, I filled it with boiling water (I don't know if this is necessary, but it can't hurt!) left it for 5 minutes whilst I warmed my soup. I only filled about half of it with soup (which apparently may shorten the length of time food stays warm) and then left for a half hour walk in the cold up to uni.

Almost two hours later the soup was still steaming, but was cool enough to eat comfortably. Just what I needed on a cold autumn day!

With regards to the colour, it does seem to be more of a dark pink than a purple, but its still attractive and I have had comments about how nice it looks.

There is a divider in the container however it does not reach the top of the container so I'm not certain how well it would hold foods separately - I haven't tried it to be fair, only with water!

Silvine Refill Pad A4 80lf Nfm A4rpnm - 6 Pack
Silvine Refill Pad A4 80lf Nfm A4rpnm - 6 Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Silvine Narrow Ruled Refill Pad, 15 Oct. 2012
This paper was available at my university in my first and second year, however when I returned from my year abroad it had vanished from the student shop - replaced by a cheaper, lower quality pad, and so I have been stocking up on them elsewhere..

Positives of the pad are:

+ Thick enough paper that you could write on both sides
+ Each page tears off cleanly, so my notes look smart
+ Narrow-ruled which means the page is more efficiently used
+ Lasts reasonably well being carried around in my bag at uni

Negative

- Only 80 pages per pad - they don't last very long!

Salter 9141 WH3R Glass Body Fat Analyser Bathroom Scale
Salter 9141 WH3R Glass Body Fat Analyser Bathroom Scale

3.0 out of 5 stars Salter Glass Body Fat Analyser Bathroom Scales, 7 Oct. 2012
I bought these scales in my attempt to lose weight - and I figured that I might as well get some that tell me how "fat" I am at the same time!

Having compared the weight given to that given by my parent's scales, and my Wii Fit, I have found them to be fairly accurate. I can't comment about how accurate the body fat measurements are, but it seems about right.

They are nice and compact, and look sleek even though they're hidden under the bathroom cabinet most of the time - which they fit under easily!

EDIT: I have noticed that reducing your weight (ie. using the bathroom) reduces the body fat percentage, which doesn't make sense, however they are a nice set of scales to use,and I won't bother buying another set for a while, just take the BFP with a pinch of salt..
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2012 1:32 PM GMT

Mariana
Mariana

5.0 out of 5 stars Mariana, 2 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Mariana (Kindle Edition)
"Mariana" is beautifully written - I couldn't put it down! (This is where having the Kindle App on my phone is not necessarily beneficial!)

Julia Beckett moves to a country village from London, after being drawn to a house there since a young age. She ends up having flashbacks to a the seventeenth century, where Mariana - Julia in a past life - has problems that can only be corrected in the present.

I would definitely recommend giving this book a read, I will definitely keep an eye out for more books by Susanna Kearsley.

Oxford Office A4 Pearlescent Wirebound Soft Cover Notebook (Pack of 5)
Oxford Office A4 Pearlescent Wirebound Soft Cover Notebook (Pack of 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Oxford Office Notebooks, 30 Sept. 2012
These notepads consist of very high quality paper, in a variety of very pretty colours.

The paper is thick enough that you can write on both sides without it leaking through to the other side - so you can write on both sides. The covers, whilst not being the plastic ones that Oxford also make are still very durable and cope being carried in my bag to and from uni each day whilst still protecting the notes inside.

Joseph Joseph Elevate Carousel Gift Set, 6 Piece - Multi Colour
Joseph Joseph Elevate Carousel Gift Set, 6 Piece - Multi Colour
Offered by HIDEN7

4.0 out of 5 stars JosephJoseph Elevate Carousel Gift Set, 21 Sept. 2012
I was bought this gift set as a present, and have been very pleased with it. It includes a nice selection of different utensils, which are weighted nicely so that the end doesn't touch the work surface - making them very tidy to work with.

Personally I don't use plastic utensils if there is a chance of melting, so haven't had a problem with them melting, and none of mine have discoloured - I just use them carefully.

The one problem is that they don't stay on the carousel very well, which is a shame because they look lovely on the side - if only the carousel hooks were slightly longer.

On the whole though I am very pleased with this product, and have since bought lots of other JosephJoseph products.

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 Keyboard and Mouse Set - UK Layout (Business Packaging)

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft 200AES Wireless Desktop Keyboard and Mouse, 8 Sept. 2012
I was a bit wary spending so little on a wireless keyboard and mouse, but my fears were completely misplaced in this Microsoft pair. The keyboard seems very solid, possibly a bit noisy for some, but compared to what I work with a dream, and the mouse is weighted perfectly.

The function keys at the top of the keyboard seem a bit pointless to me, I have set them up to use them, but have yet to do so when I've wanted something that they are linked to, and there is very little flexibility in what the majority of them do, however as I hardly use them, this doesn't detract from the keyboard. Thankfully I am yet to need new batteries, although I have only had it a couple of weeks - but my last wireless set needed batteries once a week or so, so it's already a massive improvement as far as I'm concerned!

I was incredibly impressed with the delivery time of this item, which we worked out to be under 36 hours. Not bad for Free Super Saver delivery!

All in all, a good budget buy, that doesn't feel budget when it arrives!

Completely Restored
Completely Restored

4.0 out of 5 stars Completely Restored, 8 Sept. 2012
This is a beautifully written book, which I was lucky enough to download for free. I would have more than happily paid for it though, as it has a sweet story line and is well written, with no noticeable typos (always a concern in e-books!)

It kept me reading, and I did get a bit attached to the characters, almost shedding a tear at the end, however I doubt it's a book that will stay with me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6