Profile for Stephen Wright > Reviews

Content by Stephen Wright

Stephen Wright "Steve" (Gravesend, Kent, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Best Of Harley Quinne
The Best Of Harley Quinne

1.0 out of 5 stars More re-recordings..........., 24 Jan. 2015
Got excited when I saw 'New Orleans' was on here. My excitement was short lived when I realised the track was not the 70's original, but a much later re-recording. Avoid. The Bell releases were much better.

simplehuman compact touch-free sensor soap pump, automatic liquid dispenser, white, 2 year guarantee
Offered by Things4MyHome

1.0 out of 5 stars Mine is the ST1019. No idea what the difference is........, 1 Jun. 2014
I'm pleased to see that so many people have been getting such a good experience from this soap dispenser. However, my own experience is so far removed from other peoples, that I am wondering if I have purchased the same product!
Just before Christmas 2012, I bought six of these. Two for myself, (one in the kitchen and one for our newly decorated and refitted bathroom), and the other four for various family members and friends as gifts.
At first, all was fine. It dispensed liquid when you would expect, although the buttons on top confused some guests, as they couldn't work out how to use it. Are they supposed to press the chrome buttons to get it to dispense? There is a paper label stuck on the unit telling you how to turn it off, but that's not going to stay on there for long.
Then the problems started. I went into the bathroom one morning to find that the device had completely pumped all its contents over the bathroom worktop, and had run down the front of the base units and onto the floor. I cleaned it out, refilled the unit and changed the batteries. Next time I went to use it, the sensor didn't seem to be pick me up and it just sat there whilst I performed karate chops under the sensor frantically trying to get the unit to dispense.
I didn't use it for a while, just putting it to one side on the worktop. About a week later, I went into the bathroom in the middle of the night and turned the light on, and the unit merrily started dispensing soap with no-one anywhere near it.
Results have been very hit and miss since then. The final straw was tonight when I was cleaning the sink. I put the dispenser on the windowsill whilst I went to get a cloth from the kitchen. I got called to the phone whilst out of the room. When I returned, the dispenser had again pumped out all over the windowsill and was completely empty.
I wish that I could say that this has happened just once or twice, and on one device only, but the one in the kitchen has been equally temperamental and unreliable.
I spoke to a couple of people that received the dispensers from me as gifts just a short while ago to see how they were getting on with theirs. One said they stopped using it because it dispensed when it felt like it, another lady only switched hers on when she wanted to use it. Presumably for the reasons I have stopped using mine.
I have used about six times as much soap using this gadget as a 99p hand pump. For me, they have been a disaster.
To be fair to Simplehuman, they did offer to replace them, so that must tell you that it has not been an uncommon problem. Unfortunately, a couple of the units went abroad, and it was more trouble that it was worth to get them back.
A nice idea, but totally unreliable in my view. If you've been lucky with yours so far, I just hope it lasts. My two are going in the recycling bin. :-(

simplehuman Compact Sensor Pump with Soap Sample, 237 ml - Black
simplehuman Compact Sensor Pump with Soap Sample, 237 ml - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a frustrating device. It's going in the bin., 1 Jun. 2014
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2014 2:04 PM BST

One Hit Wonders
One Hit Wonders

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful collection of wobbly re-recordings....., 15 April 2013
This review is from: One Hit Wonders (MP3 Download)
A truly dreadful album of cover versions and re-recordings. The original versions of most of these tracks are available at the same price, so I would look elsewhere as the sonic quality and the arrangements of most leave a lot to be desired.....

Man Like I
Man Like I

5.0 out of 5 stars Reggae sounds for a hot Summer (or any other time.....), 2 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Man Like I (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was completely knocked out by this album, it wasn't what I was expecting at all! It is an album packed full of sometimes uplifting, sometimes laid back but still glorious tunes with lyrics that make you want to listen quite intently rather than just have on in the background.
The opening track 'July' is a great start to the show as it's not too heavy going, perhaps even a little whimsical. 'Cold Town' is more demanding, but a wonderfully executed piece of Reggae/Pop.
I think what I like most about this album is its diversity, since as you move from one song to the next, the tempos are quite different, rather than just plodding along with the same basic rhythms and all the tracks just merging into each other. I also like Natty's vocal sound. He sounds very confident and comfortable with the other musicians and puts quite an authoritative stamp on the music, making it his own.
Other standout tracks for me are 'Badman', which really drives along and 'Bedroom Eyes' and 'Last Night' which are mid-tempo but still very uplifting songs.
It's been a few years now since this album came out, (2008), yet at the time of writing it was still comfortably inside the top 100 Pop/Reggae albums, which after five years or more must say something. Like other reviewers, I can't wait to hear what is up Natty's sleeve for the next one. I really hope we don't have to wait too much longer.........

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 28 Feb. 2013
This Gangnam Style tee looks really great. It is a fairly heavy grade cotton too, so should last until well after the Gangnam fad has faded. Certainly turns heads when I'm out wearing it, but of course this could just be down to my manly physique and stunning good looks......... ;-)
Recommended item.

The Best Wombles Album So Far
The Best Wombles Album So Far

4.0 out of 5 stars Tracklisting, 28 Jan. 2013
Only contains half of their UK chart successes, (Minuetto Allegretto, Wombling Merry Christmas, Super Womble and Let's Womble To The Party Tonight are not featured), but still a reasonable snapshot of the Wombles output. The 2CD 'Wombles Collection' was better, but sadly no longer available. In fact, on closer scrutiny, this CD is just disc 1 of the double CD set with the last track (I Wish It Could Be A Wombling Merry Christmas Every Day - featuring Roy Wood), removed!
Featured Tracks on this single CD:
1) The Wombling Song
2) Remember You're A Womble
3) Wombling White Tie And Tails
4) The Orinoco Kid
5) To Wimbledon With Love
6) Wombles On Parade
7) Down At The Barbershop (Singing In Harmony)
8) The Empty Tidy Bag Blues
9) Wellington Goes To Waterloo
10) Nashville Wombles
11) Invitation To The Ping Pong Ball
12) Non-Stop Wombling Party
13) Underground Overture
14) The Myths And Legends Of King Merton Womble And His Journey To The Centre Of The Earth
15) Hall Of The Mountain Womble
16) Banana Rock
17) Womble Of The Universe
Loses a star mainly because of the missing tracks which means that it isn't really 'The Best Wombles Album So Far'.

Aviva Trio Soap Shampoo Dispenser Satin/Silver Finish
Aviva Trio Soap Shampoo Dispenser Satin/Silver Finish

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Product, Highly Recommended., 9 Oct. 2012
I first saw this product in a bathroom display whilst we were out shopping. The next time I encountered it was in the shower in a hotel room whilst we were on holiday, and I have to say that even then, I was most impressed. I concur with all the previous reviewers positive comments, but would like to add a couple of minor points that might have been missed.
As far as I can make out there are several finishes available for this product, white, chrome and a sort of brushed aluminium effect. There are also three combinations of pump available, one, two or three chamber.
My girlfriend is a beauty therapist. As a consequence, the shower is always filling up with lotions and potions of varying sizes, and it was really getting cluttered. I did toy with the idea of buying some chrome shelves as we had in our old shower, but far from discouraging the bottle array on that occasion, it seemed to encourage even more!
So, I bit the bullet and purchased two x three pump dispensers, (yes, six chambers in all), and I have to say it was the best thing I could have done! I have managed to lose all but a small number of containers, (usually ones that are unsuitable for the dispenser because they are far too thick or gritty), and we have drastically cut down on waste caused by being over zealous when we used to use the old bottles. It does seem to dispense a very small amount at a time, so I find I need about four squirts to get a reasonable lather with shampoo or shower gel. Incidentally, the dispenser also seems to work well with thick conditioner.
Installation is very simple, but what isn't clear from the instructions is that you can either fix the dispenser to the wall with silicon (which takes 24 hours to dry) or it can be fixed with four small screws. The dispenser slides on to a separate back plate which as I said can be screwed or glued to the wall. I needed to get mine up and running quickly, so I fixed mine with screws, and I was also a bit concerned about how much of a mess it might make of our wetwall panels in the shower if I needed to get it off again if I'd glued it. OK, then you've got screw holes to contend with, but I can live with that.
Once you've got it fixed and you've filled the dispenser, there's little else to do. Prime the pump, (easy - just follow the instructions), and away you go!
The only teensy problems that I can see so far is if you need to empty out just one chamber, (for example if you don't like a new shower gel and want to empty it out), the only way to get it out again (apart from operating the pump about 1,000 times) is to turn the whole thing upside down after sliding it off the backplate. The problem is that you will empty all the containers, as they are all joined together and have a common lid! The only other minor niggle is the minimal amount of sticky labels to identify the liquids once filled. This is really being a bit picky though, and I made some new ones with our Brother p-touch labelling machine.
As a final note, I would avoid using the dispenser for 'gritty' or particularly heavy or sticky gels.
That said, this is a marvellous little product, and if you suffer from shower or general bathroom clutter, this will fix it! I'm even thinking of buying a single version for over the sink for hand wash.
Thoroughly recommended, buy this product with confidence. Makes a nice gift too!

Aviva Trio Chrome Soap Dispenser