Profile for A. J. Mcmenemy > Reviews

Content by A. J. Mcmenemy

A. J. Mcmenemy "andy_mcmenemy" (West Sussex, UK)

TP-Link TL-WPA281 300Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender
TP-Link TL-WPA281 300Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender
Offered by UKStocked

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug and Go, 21 Feb 2013
I already had a 2-unit Powerline network. I bought this third station, just plugged it in and within a couple of minutes had another network extension working perfectly.

Rexx Programmer's Reference (Programmer to Programmer)
Rexx Programmer's Reference (Programmer to Programmer)
by Howard Fosdick

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh refresh, 21 Feb 2013
I have been using Rexx on and off since it was first released. I still find it the friendliest and most flexible of all the computer languages I have learned and used over the years. Despite this, there are always a few techniques or methods that I can't use from memory and the standard documentation sometimes needs that less-formal description. This book pretty well solves my problem It is an easy reference and provides plenty of context. Importantly, it also deals with some of the ancillary features like Rexx/SQL, NetRexx and so forth. This makes it a good, all round, single point of reference.

Highly recommended.

Access 2010: The Missing Manual
Access 2010: The Missing Manual

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, Practical Manual, 1 Dec 2012
A well laid out, well written manual that can be used for reference or can lead you through the features of Access bit by bit. Whilst I was already familiar with many of the concepts, it was nice to go back and read the book as if I was a beginner. In so doing a number of tricks and features were revealed that I had not previously found.

Having the Kindle version of the book has proved useful - it means I always have it to hand without lugging the paper version around from home to work, from work to the client, and so forth.

Book of Souls
Book of Souls

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 4 Dec 2011
This review is from: Book of Souls (Kindle Edition)
Having read Library of the Dead and concluded that there must be more to tell, I was delighted when this came out. I downloaded the Audiobook and listened to it whilst driving to and from the West Country and was so engrossed that I ignored traffic reports of congestion - just to lengthen my journey time, and hence my consumption of the book.

Portable Mini Travel 3-in-1 Wireless 802.11 N WiFi WLAN Network Router/Access Point/Client Adapter

4.0 out of 5 stars Traveller's Little Helper, 18 Sep 2011
Delighted with this. A good, inexpensive addition to the travel kit which is proving to be a real winner. Spending much of the week, each week, in hotels and limited to their cabled internet access - this allows me to convert the the access into a WiFi zone and use my iPad, and smartphone in the room over the hotel network. It also frees me up from the pokey little desk, when I wish to use my laptop elsewhere in the room, beyond the reach of the 30cm ethernet cable.
Now all I need is the hotels to improve the speed of their internet connections.

Seven Ancient Wonders (Jack West Junior 1)
Seven Ancient Wonders (Jack West Junior 1)
by Matthew Reilly

2.0 out of 5 stars Stretching the bounds, 11 April 2009
What annoys me about Matthew Reilly's books is that whilst the underlying storyline or plot is good, he stretches the bounds of credulity beyond breaking point. If he could only learn to scale things back a tad he have some really good books on his hands. As it is, I find that I keep muttering to myself "Oh for goodness sake!!!".
Adventure books are meant to push the bounds and stretch credulity a bit (take Clive Cussler's books for an example) - but to work they have to keep things just on the believable side... Reilly doesn't seem to have learnt this trick.
The books are probably fine for teenaged readers

HP Officejet 6210 All in One Printer Scanner Copier Fax
HP Officejet 6210 All in One Printer Scanner Copier Fax

2.0 out of 5 stars Utter disappointment, 17 Mar 2006
This is the second HP All-in-One I have owned. I should have learnt my lesson with the first one (which threw a cog wheel after 14 months). The 6210 is an inferior printer and marks the end of my HP printer purchases.
The paper path is such that paper is fed in from an ADF at the bottom and is tightly turned back on itself, preventing use of any thick papers or cards. Ordinary 80gsm papers often bind and I regularly find myself clearing paper jams. This means shifting the printer through 180 degrees in order to remove a curved door at the rear fiddling with the jam and returning it to operation.
Photo quality is poor.
There is also a problem with the (genuine HP) cartridges failing to rehome properly between sheets, so you have to press the OK key or reseat the cartridges to allow it to continue.
The scanner is adequate, as is the fax.
Do NOT buy one unless you are immensley patient, and you are used to disappointment, and can endure poor quality.