Profile for David Guyan > Reviews

Content by David Guyan

David Guyan (Kilbarchan, Scotland)

Solaris
Solaris

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary!, 29 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Solaris (Kindle Edition)
I first saw the Russian film version of Solaris in the 1960s when the book was hard to obtain outside the USSR. I also caught up with the more recent version starring George Clooney. I adored both films and they encouraged me to finally track down a copy of the original book. I can only wonder at the courage of both film makers. They found the essence of a book which, I discover now, is essentially unfilmable. This book is breathtaking, making me work at every turn, presenting opportunities for me to comprehend its meaning only to have them exploded, over and over again.

It was worth the wait.

Pronomic Microphone Stand Bag
Pronomic Microphone Stand Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust and good value., 18 April 2015
Robust and good value.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Double delight, 28 Aug. 2013
I bought this for my wife. It is hard to call her computer a laptop because it is so large. Frankly, her lap isn't that big. She rarely takes it outside our home, but does need to lock it away from time to time. This came with two sections: a softly cushioning sleeve for the end of the day and a similar (if more robust) carry bag with handle for those rare moments when she needs to transport it beyond our walls. What is more the sleeve slips inside the carrier, doubling the protection. The ensemble is bright, light, provides more than enough padding and is covered in kittens. For a cat lover like my wife, it is the perfect combination.

Up Roystonhill (The Bleeding Heart Murders Book 1)
Up Roystonhill (The Bleeding Heart Murders Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down, 28 Aug. 2013
I read this in one sitting and am heartily looking forward to the sequel. Concise, blackly humorous and full of vivid characters. Spun from cloth of gold.

Starting From The End
Starting From The End

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear Headed Advice, 27 Mar. 2013
While the market place is inundated with books offering 'the secret to success' and quick fixes (actually not so quick. They often involve follow up 'recommended' seminars, weekend course, DVDs etc.), Chris Elliot's book cuts through all that and offers jargon free, simple signposts to successfully assessing and redirecting one's life in times of crisis. As someone who recently lost my job of twenty years, I recognised from my own experience both the hurdles and the opportunities he describes. In Starting From The End I found not only timely warnings about how to avoid the places I didn't really want to go but affirmation that many of my chosen strategies were leading me where did want to be. I thoroughly recommend it.

Samsung Galaxy S3 SIII Clear S-Line Gel Silicone Case + Screen Protector & Sock
Samsung Galaxy S3 SIII Clear S-Line Gel Silicone Case + Screen Protector & Sock
Offered by iDELTA UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars A Business Like Sock and Case, 9 Dec. 2012
This was bought as an alternative case for my wife when she wanted something less feminine wrapped around her phone but still with style. It does the job well and she uses the sock with its quietly classic design as a container for all her cases.

Samsung Galaxy S3 III i9300 Purple Flower Case - White Cover with Purple & Black Flower Design
Offered by Phone Cases UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Handbag Fare, 9 Dec. 2012
I bought this for my wife who did not want a heavier duty, more encompassing case because she keeps her phone in a pocket of her handbag where lightness and slimness are the priorities. It works very well. It is robust. She reports that the dimpled covers to the side buttons work well under her fingers and that she thinks the design on the back is sufficiently attractive without running the risk of being too 'girly'. It is perfect handbag fare.

Executive Leather Magnetic Flip Case Cover Skin For Samsung i9300 Galaxy S3 - White

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Joy, 9 Dec. 2012
This case is substantial, protects the phone well and despite being white seems to weather the wear and tear of every day use very well. I have been using it for some months now and it looks as though I have just unboxed it.

Secrets to Ebook Publishing Success (Smashwords Guides 3)
Secrets to Ebook Publishing Success (Smashwords Guides 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Physician Heal Thyself?, 9 Dec. 2012
An excellent overview of on-line publishing with numerous tip and pointers. Mark Coker seems to try hard to be even handed with respect to selling his own company's services, balancing his remarks with a fair evaluation of the alternative choices open to would be on-line publishers. I could not give this book five stars because it is full of many of the errors which he warns writers to avoid; misspellings, typos, corrupted ocr transcriptions, etc. Of course, he might have left those in ironically, but somehow I am not convinced that he did! It provides a salutary reminder that all publications deemed worth sharing are worth being run past a trusted editor first.

Britten: Peter Grimes
Britten: Peter Grimes

5.0 out of 5 stars The Original - the Best, 5 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Britten: Peter Grimes (Audio CD)
This is the composer's own realisation of the work, and as such is closest to the PETER GRIMES of his mindscape. He fine-tuned his score for the voice of Peter Pears, who was both his muse and lover. The role has been better sung since. It has to be admitted that Pears has a somewhat reedy voice. However, a combination of Claire Watson in superb form, an unsurpassed Royal Opera House, Covent Garden cast and orchestra, the gloriously intimate sound of 1950s Decca recording (when all audio transcriptions were of Rolls Royce quality, or they didn't reach the vinyl), and the fact that when you are hearing this version, you are witnessing a love poem from Britten to Pears, makes it the one to covet.