Profile for Miss H. B. Grimmette > Reviews

Content by Miss H. B. Gri...

Miss H. B. Grimmette

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Instant Guide To Rome (Including A Free Copy of Henry James's Novella Daisy Miller)

4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect travel accompaniment., 29 April 2013
I've found that the likes of Time Out and Lonely Planet Guides can prove overpriced and underwhelming on kindle. Can recommend this instant guide though for anyone travelling to Rome for a long weekend. There is none of the waffle about hotels- which I had already booked before going- the guide is up-to-date and includes all the main sites as well as more quirky options that you might not have thought of. Giving away an ebook is very clever idea and is a great added extra.

Hearts of Oak and Souls of Fire: Warfare in the Age of Sail 1755-1815
Hearts of Oak and Souls of Fire: Warfare in the Age of Sail 1755-1815

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Overview of a Fascinating Era, 15 April 2013
I am an avid reader of literature and history on the `Great Age of Sail'. Kernahan looks at the ships and battles between 1755 and 1815. He examines how the battles in this era determined the success of nations at the time. I liked his examination of how these ships played such an important role in empire-building at the time -however, I would like to have read more in that direction. An apt look at modernity as well as the chaos that these ships and their men met at sea.

Obsessive Love: How to Free Your Emotions & Live Again
Obsessive Love: How to Free Your Emotions & Live Again

4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing view of heartbreak., 15 April 2013
It was refreshing to read a book that did not try to conform to the social norms of stereotypical love. We grow up in a society where we are all searching for "the one" and when we find them they will immediately love us back. However, the reality is very different, the majority of people as teenagers will experience unrequited love, and although it is unlikely that it becomes as obsessive as it has in Liz Hodgkinson's case, it does need to be addressed. The use of case studies combined with Hodgkinson's own life experiences explores the overwhelming experience of love in an emphatic way. The second half discusses different types of therapy and although I do not agree with all the therapies, the past life theory is to far fetch for me, I can imagine it is very comforting for others. For anyone who has experienced love this book is a must.

River of Bones
River of Bones

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 15 April 2013
This review is from: River of Bones (Kindle Edition)
This book is perfectly paced. It starts with a bang and keeps going, but the author pays real attention to detail and I have to say, unlike some thrillers where the writing suffers a bit to the fast paced nature of the story, this book seemed to have a good balance. In fact, it was most tense when it slowed right down - the bit in the bath tub certainly creeped me out that's for sure which was written at a nail bitingly slow pace. An excellent and spooky read.

Love on a Plate
Love on a Plate

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied my craving!, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Love on a Plate (Kindle Edition)
I love all the slightly shorter chick lit novellas that are emerging on Kindle. There are lots of choose from but it can be a bit hit and miss. This was a great piece of chick lit fluff. Although, there were some heavy going sub plots- Aarshiya and Jason in particular. This certainly satisfied my chick lit craving. More of the same please.

Spears of Britannia
Spears of Britannia

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars!!, 4 April 2013
This story gets right to the heart of the action and the history of the time. Think of it as a Game of Thrones style novel without the length - backstabbing, brutality, bloodshed and battle scenes - what more do you want?? I'm hoping this will be the beginning of an exciting new series!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2013 8:38 PM BST

Breakdown: Tom Petty's 100 Best Songs
Breakdown: Tom Petty's 100 Best Songs

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Petty fans, 4 April 2013
This list will make you want to listen to Tom Petty's cannon all over again. It kept reminding of some of my classic favourites which I had forgotten and I played them along in the background as I read through. Jim Beviglia provides good commentary behind the choices and argues his points well without been demanding or dictatorial. This ebook is well worth read for all Tom Petty fans out there!

Lessons in Love (A School Ties Novella)
Lessons in Love (A School Ties Novella)

4.0 out of 5 stars I got my chick lit fix!, 4 April 2013
This was an enjoyable novella over all. Alice faces the classic dilemma- she's fallen for a bad boy and we've all been there. Charles Brown is a great character and I liked how the author peeled back the layers of his character to reveal more than just good looks. And we all love a bit of staff room gossip. I would have preferred it to have been a full length novel so the drama was played out a bit more, but if it's part of a series hopefully some of the characters will reappear.

Swords of Rome (Omnibus of the Historical Series, Books 1-3)
Swords of Rome (Omnibus of the Historical Series, Books 1-3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great (connected) novellas. Excellent value., 4 April 2013
Bought first book in series and then settled on buying omnibus. Both in terms of sense of humour and also, occasionally, violence Swords of Rome rarely pulls its punches. The stories contained in book are connected, but are also great short books within themselves. Liked Lucious Oppius and Caesar - and their relationship with each other (reminds me of Sharpe's relationship with Wellington in some ways). Most people, especially soldiers or students of the period of history, will enjoy these stories. Good price too.

Augustus: Son of Rome
Augustus: Son of Rome

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Writing and Lively Dialogue., 4 April 2013
The Swords of Rome series is a colourful prequel to this far more substantial, far more subtle and intelligent, novel. Augustus: Son of Rome is as much devoted to literature (Shakespeare, Cicero, Plutarch) as it is to history. There's some lovely writing and lively dialogue throughout. The battle/skirmish at the end is fictional but in terms of remembering my history (and looking some stuff up on internet whilst reading the book) it's a credit to the author how faithful he stays to real events. Love the Sword of Rome titles as fun reads, but I hope the author will consider writing a full-length sequel to Augustus.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3