Profile for Cat > Reviews

Content by Cat

Cat

Grand Theft Auto IV - Classics Edition (Xbox 360)
Grand Theft Auto IV - Classics Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by Ace Goods Co. Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Grand Theft Auto never fails to deliver the ultimate gaming experience, 29 Dec. 2012
When I first played GTA IV, I was not as impressed as I wanted to be. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved the grittiness of Liberty City (GTA III is still one of my favourite games). And it wasn't that I purely missed the landscape of San Andreas, but initially I found SA to be a more pleasing and remarkable game than IV overall. The realistic driving in IV was a problem for one thing and I just struggled to get into it.

After putting the game down for about a year, I decided to give it another go. I am so glad I eventually came back to it. The more I allowed myself to seep into the world of GTA on a next gen console, the more I realised just how phenomenal a job Rockstar had done with GTA IV. I got used to the driving and was sucked into the story. Niko was a main character that I found to be very interesting and was certainly not one dimensional. The attention to detail in the city and the gameplay itself left me breathless.

In conclusion, I cannot recommend this game enough. The replay value (as with most GTAs) is there ready and waiting. Give it another chance if you love GTA, but haven't quite got into its style yet. Overall I found it to be a truly rewarding gaming experience.

Young Frankenstein [DVD] [1975]
Young Frankenstein [DVD] [1975]
Dvd ~ Gene Wilder
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a comedy - a Frankenstein film that stands on its own two feet, 29 Dec. 2012
This is one of my all-time favourite films. I can laugh and laugh and laugh, but I can also admire how wonderfully made this film is. With homage to the old Frankenstein films, I believe Young Frankenstein should be seen as more than a comedy, it is a truly great film in its own right. The cast performances are wonderful and memorable, and the scene where Gene Wilder and Peter Boyle dance to 'Puttin' on the Ritz' is an absolutely delightful moment.

Great Expectations (Wordsworth Classics)
Great Expectations (Wordsworth Classics)
by Charles Dickens

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark and intricate, 29 Dec. 2012
Having not entered into Dickens as much as I would like, Great Expectations was nevertheless proof enough to me of Dickens' capability as a writer. The well-developed plot with unforgettable characters cause the novel to retain a hold on the reader long after the book has been put down. In terms of my favourite aspect, the eerie images and details of Miss Havisham's story will forever fascinate and intrigue me.

Alice Cooper: The Nightmare Returns [DVD] [2006]
Alice Cooper: The Nightmare Returns [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Alice Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 26 Aug. 2011
For any Alice Cooper fans this is a must. After only becoming more of an Alice Cooper fan recently, all I can think of is, how could I have been missing out on his genius for so long? His show is just fantastic: top notch, brilliant hard rock and a great horror show all in one. Just epic.

Gran Torino [DVD] [2009]
Gran Torino [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Clint Eastwood
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars I just loved this film, 26 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Gran Torino [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Gran Torino once again shows that Clint Eastwood is truly both a great director and an absorbing actor. This is a highly enjoyable film that explores the themes of crime, prejudice, family relationships, human transformation and friendship amongst many others in a clever and moving way. The tasty dash of humour throughout adds something extra. Highly recommended, and particularly to any fans of Mr. Eastwood's work.

The Road [DVD] [2009]
The Road [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Viggo Mortensen
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and bleak - but fell a bit short of the mark, 26 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Road [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I was really looking forward to seeing this film as the story seemed extremely intriguing. There is much to praise in The Road and I would recommend it to anyone who likes dark and moving tales. The haunting sense of no escape and no end to the world in which the father and son find themselves, the love they feel for one another, that tiny blip of hope that they carry with them and the vast engulfing landscapes cut deep and draw you in as a viewer. However, it just felt as if something was missing that would have made the film leap from being good to great. The challenge of bringing a difficult and deeply textured story to life on the big screen was maybe too much of a struggle.

Heavenly Creatures [DVD] [1995] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Heavenly Creatures [DVD] [1995] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting gem of a movie, 27 Mar. 2011
I've seen this film twice and was thoroughly engrossed and disturbed by it both times. The acting is brilliant and it is a wonderfully shot piece of cinema. A gripping story that produces a whirlwind of emotions. Highly recommended.