Profile for KPT > Reviews

KPT

All 4
All 4

1.0 out of 5 stars PICTURE FROZE, 22 Mar. 2016
This review is from: All 4 (App)
Put this on my Amazon Firestick and tried to watch Indian Summer through it but the picture kept freezing so I gave it up as a bad job in the end. Before anyone says it must be my broadband connection, I tried watching the same programme on All4 through my YouView box and it worked fine. Shan't be bothering with it anymore.

Blind Stab
Blind Stab

3.0 out of 5 stars COMPELLING BUT CONFUSING, 28 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Blind Stab (Kindle Edition)
Living in the area where the book is set, I was quite interested in reading this but although I find the story compelling and interesting, certain aspects left me bewildered. The main character, Inspector Laxton, was a wartime evacuee as a child along with his sister, which would make him well into his eighties in the present day and well past retirement for the police force. In another part of the book, Laxton states his age as 52, which means the book is set in the eighties. True, the book did have a dated feel about it, e.g. the secretary in the solicitor's office using a typewriter instead of a PC. Yet, I couldn't get any feeling for the period and to add to the confusion, another character phoned the police on his mobile, which certainly wouldn't have happened thirty years ago. For all its faults, the story was still well constructed and had me gripped.

Hijack: A Sgt Major Crane crime thriller (A Sgt Major Crane Novel Book 6)
Hijack: A Sgt Major Crane crime thriller (A Sgt Major Crane Novel Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars A TENSE THRILLER, 22 Mar. 2015
A terrorist gang hijack a train and one of the passengers is Sergeant Billy Williams, friend of Sergeant Major Crane. Hijack is a tense, edge of your seat thriller and will have you hooked from the start. A thoroughly exciting and enthralling read. Well done, Wendy Cartmell, for another episode in her Sergeant Major Crane series,

A 1970s Teenager: From Bell Bottoms to Disco Dancing
A 1970s Teenager: From Bell Bottoms to Disco Dancing

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for the memories, 4 July 2014
I was born in 1960, the same year as the author, so I too was a teenager in the Seventies. Reading this book brought the memories flooding back although I must say the people interviewed appeared to have had a far more interesting time than me. I think my teenage years were a little dull and boring compared to some people's! It makes me think I may have missed out on something. But nevertheless, this book was still an interesting read.

Medieval III - Sword of Liberty (The Medieval Sagas Book 3)
Medieval III - Sword of Liberty (The Medieval Sagas Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Wait For No 4, 4 July 2014
I've read all of Kevin Ashman's Medieval books and thoroughly enjoyed them. As well as informative on al things Welsh history, they are also highly entertaining and full of action. A real page turner. I can't wait for No 4 in this series to see what happens next.

Sixth Form Discipline
Sixth Form Discipline

3.0 out of 5 stars Did this slip into abuse? Up for debate., 23 Jun. 2014
I found Jane Fairweather's storeis well-written and powerful. However, I felt the last story when the poor girl, Imogen, was wrongly, in my opinion, caned, slipped over into abuse. I felt myself becoming quite angry at the headmistress and feeling sorry for the poor girl. And I wonder if the writer of the last review has children of his own and how would he feel if his daughter was caned so hard she was sobbing and could barely walk. I don't have children myself but if I did and if someone treated my kid in that way I would go round and give them a taste of their own medicine! See how they liked it! I know these stories were set in the past when teachers could get away with much more than they can now but I'm sorry, that's how I feel.

Dean of Discipline: More Tales of Old-School Punishment
Dean of Discipline: More Tales of Old-School Punishment

4.0 out of 5 stars Could this really happen?, 6 Jun. 2014
Even though this series is oddly compelling and I'm eager to find out what happens next, parts of it still sat a little uncomfortably with me and I found it difficult to like the main characters, who I would class as little more than depraved perverts. To be honest, I found the whole thing unbelievable. I know it's all a fantasy but would a woman in her twenties really submit to lay across a middle-aged man's knee to be spanked with a wooden paddle? We are told the students have to sign a contract willing to take this form of punishment? How would this stand up in a court of law if a student decided to bring charges? What;'s stopping a student going to the press or the police? But maybe that's just the realist in me raising its head. Saying that, it is still well-written and by the way the second volume ended, there are hints that the paddling days could well be numbered. There's trouble ahead for Connie and Jim and I for one I'm looking forward to seeing them get their comeuppance. Is Jim telling the story from inside a prison cell, I wonder. Just a thought. Looking forward to Volume 3.

Eliza Tinsley 2014MB/LBK Medium Back Leather Faced Armchair -  Black
Eliza Tinsley 2014MB/LBK Medium Back Leather Faced Armchair - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars AN EXCELLENT CHAIR, 19 Mar. 2014
As a writer who spends a lot of time at his desk, typing away at his computer, a comforable chair is a must and this is it. Good value for money, it is easy to assemble and once it is, it is sturdy and comfortable, providing support to the back and arms to anyone who spends time at a computer. An excellent addition to any home office. I would throughly recommend this chair.

Twelve Down (Bexhill School Book 4)
Twelve Down (Bexhill School Book 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars EROTICA OR A CATALOGUE OF ABUSE?, 11 Feb. 2014
I'm not sure what Tom Simple was trying to achieve with this series but as an account of how discipline was handed out at schools and in certain homes in the not too distant past, it works well. Reading this, I thanked God society has moved on and we don't allow this sort of treatment anymore. If Tom Simple means the reader to be somehow aroused by it, then with me he sadly failed. Mild spanking between consenting adults is one thing but young girls being beaten black and blue until they sob and cry out in pain and can barely walk afterwards is something else. That's where I think the Bexhill School series crosses the line and far from being turned on, it only made me feel angry and wanting to hit the abusers. I've only read a couple of this series, but I won't be reading anymore as parts of it made for very uncomfortable reading. In my view, people who do get turned on by stories about adults inflicting extreme pain on young girls must have some serious issues to contend with.

The Back Road
The Back Road

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page-turner, 31 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Back Road (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed Rachel Abbot's last novel, Only The Innocent, and her second, The Back Road, didn't disappoint. For me, the suspense never lessened and through all the many twists and turns of the plot, was kept guessing all the way through which is always the mark of a real page-turner. A cracking thriller, The Back Road moves along at a fast pace as a good crime novel should always do. I'm looking forward to reading more of Rachel's work.