ARRAY(0xad458b10)

Profile for karen bennett > Reviews

Content by karen bennett

karen bennett "karen bennett" (uk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Big Bargain 20 Pockets Organizer Hanging Hanger Over Door Shoe rack Closet Space Storage

1.0 out of 5 stars Chinese sized feet?, 11 Feb 2013
Then this may work. It's weak at the top with a cardboard strip reinforcement which bent in the post. W riveted hole either side for you to put your own string through to hang on your own hooks. It has 20 pockets,it's the same design as shown but it's reminiscent of the material they use in hospitals to cover beds in between each person, same texture and smell.
We should learn our lessons, look for made somewhere other than China.

Good Beer Guide 2012
Good Beer Guide 2012
by Roger Protz

4.0 out of 5 stars Thanks to everyone else, 25 May 2012
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2012 (Paperback)
I bought this one instead of my usual guide. Apparently the other one has got a lot worse this year.
The only downside I envisaged was that I have no interest in real ale.
What I wanted was a guide book that took me away from chain pubs and their microwaved food. What I got was a guide book that gives full details of pub opening times, restaurant times, an idea of menu, overnight accommodation, access, confidence that the pub had been reviewed recently and details of possible ale types at each pub.
First stop, a pub in Whitstable listed as German food a speciality, schnitzel only on Saturday.
Much better book for me than I had expected.
Don't be afraid to get it if you would usually have bought the other one. Makes for a genuine option with unpaid for listings and lots of them.

Life! Death! Prizes!
Life! Death! Prizes!
by Stephen May
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars More subtle than Essex...., 25 May 2012
This review is from: Life! Death! Prizes! (Paperback)
A review drove me to buy this one the following day. I wasn't disappointed. Despite being a relatively short book allbeit in a large format it packs a decent punch.
Dealing with the death of a mother and the completely unswaying determination of a teenager to keep his brother with him with absolutely no understanding of how this could be done. Blindly moving from one day to the next the younger child is simply an extension of his brother, his books and boots are remembered for school but the idea that maybe the adult's life goes on hold while a child grows up is simply not there.
Alongside this plays the authority role, schools, social services and relatives all have to have input and the teenager has no idea how to react to the input and presents a determined figure blocking the way to his brother in simple blind panic mode.
Realistically how many of us would have any idea of different agency roles? Especially as teenagers? This one's background seems to be partly in the "don't trust authority" camp.
Holding down a job, ignoring debts and bills while still trying to carry on and make sure his brother's looked after. Even possibly a girlfriend? Maybe not.
I loved it. The emotion was so sublimely written but intensely there. This one I think can be most appreciated if you've ever been back against the wall.
I hope the next reader finds as much to value as I did and I hope the author writes again.

Other People's Money
Other People's Money
by Justin Cartwright
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow slow, 24 April 2012
This review is from: Other People's Money (Paperback)
You were expecting quick, quick, slow weren't you? Unfortunately not, only slow I'm afraid. Longwinded description of a set of people who have a connection of sorts with a bank, be it their own bank or a tenuous link. Not a good introduction to Cartwright

Criminal
Criminal
by Caspar Walsh
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars How easy, 8 April 2012
This review is from: Criminal (Paperback)
And how almost accidental it can be for a child to end up as a drug addict.
Despite the drugs around him Caspar tells his story in a waywhich shows the amount of love surrpunding him, given by people who had been partof his life and who were in a position to walk away if they chose.
A terribly sad story but in another way a story which could bring hope.
With stepmothers, ex-girlfriends and teachers standing by him Caspar must be one of the luckier addicts.
Highly educational and told without malice at all.

Babble And Squeak
Babble And Squeak
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Hidden away, 18 Mar 2012
This review is from: Babble And Squeak (Kindle Edition)
On a bookcrossing bookshelf was this little gem. Www dot bookcrossing dot com BCID 834-9986825
A relatively short book with an unusual story line, some extremely quirky characters and amongst them some with cameo roles thatcould have been developed further.
Telling the story of a married middle aged couple who own a chip shop and how one decision on the wife's part has a domino effect on those around her. Having bitten her tongue for years of marriage and kowtowing to a mother in law she's still not quite brave enough to pull off a simple act of rebellion with her husband around. So he gets packed off to a commune...and then things get interesting.
Worth a read.

Cuckoo
Cuckoo
Price: 3.95

4.0 out of 5 stars I think this one will go far, 15 Mar 2012
This review is from: Cuckoo (Kindle Edition)
An excellent debut thriller. Some quirky, some weak and some spiteful characters, a fair bit of backstory.
The only slight criticism is that I didn't think the epilogue added much to the book.
I would buy another Julia Crouch, worth watching

Revenge of the Tide
Revenge of the Tide
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Pole dancing anyone?, 15 Mar 2012
I now know more about pole dancing than I did before although some of the techniques I still only know the name of rather than what they actually mean.
The main character in the book is a woman who has left behind a career in sales with a profitable sideline in pole dancing to live her dream in a houseboat.
As with a lot of us the dream is to leave it all behind or at least most of it. However, no matter how hard we try some past stays with us in our minds and sometimes some past follows along physically. Neither are our own choice.
The book draws the picture of the quasi hippy lifestyle well, showing the slow integration of an outsider into the community and the slight tentativeness in encompassing her completely.
When the past catches up with her the dividing line becomes sharper with an element of self-preservation among the community and her very own defender laying down his gauntlet for her.
The relationship between her and thebmysterious male lead is slowly and steadily revealed alongside other characters from her past. A rich variety of personalities make for an entertaining second book, completely different from the first.
Well worth a read.

The Child Who
The Child Who
by Simon Lelic
Price: 12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Oddly, 11 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Child Who (Hardcover)
Despite the cover blurb I didn't think the author went as far as he could have done with the idea. I was expecting a gritty procedural expose of the arguments lawyers and barristers use in their own daily lives illustrating how they would justify arguing for a known killer. There's very little of this in the book. However, as a Lelic fan, I have to say I wasn't disappointed with the book per se. It's very much in his style and as a crime book it holds it's own.
It just made me intrigued as to the calibre of a similar book if he wasn't holding back.

Quantum of Tweed: The Man with the Nissan Micra (Quick Reads 2012)
Quantum of Tweed: The Man with the Nissan Micra (Quick Reads 2012)
by Conn Iggulden
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars So what, 11 Mar 2012
If it's labelled "quick read". It's by Conn Iggulden. That's enough for me to buy it.
It's a deviation from his standard historical, almost as though he's having fun with humour as a bit of a break. Think Chrisopher Brookmyre off the acid and without the swearing.
What happens when a man who's usually a gentleman's outfitter gets the chance to do a bit of assassination for a change? How could it go wrong? Or better still, how could it go right?
Worth a quick read but take a second book on the bus this one is a brilliant example of why not to buy expensive magazines. I hope it works in getting people reading.
My copy is now travelling via bookcrossing dot com with an identity number of 756-10505428 if you're interested in how many people this one copy encouraged to read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5