Profile for Jim Spence > Reviews

3 Wheel Mini Street Cruz Scooter Tri-Scooter Pink
3 Wheel Mini Street Cruz Scooter Tri-Scooter Pink
Offered by Mass Global™

1.0 out of 5 stars Choice of colour?, 24 Mar 2014
Ordered for my son. A pink one was delivered. The picture shows black, green, and pink, so there should be the option to choose colour, or someone should contact you after ordering to clarify what you would like, or at least to inform you what is likely to be dispatched.

Teksta Robotic Puppy (Pink)
Teksta Robotic Puppy (Pink)

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted less than 36 hours, 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: Teksta Robotic Puppy (Pink) (Toy)
Similar to the other reviewer, bought this at Argos for my daughter's Birthday.

She was delighted when she unwrapped it yesterday morning, and although it worked fine for the first day, the casing started to come apart after 1 hour and half a dozen backflips. I managed to pop the casing back into place, but that's not really the point is it!?!

I reckon it correctly backflipped about 50% of the time, the rest of the time failing to land on it's feet. Today it's developed the same problem as the other reviewer and made it halfway to the sitting position before the back legs jammed and it now just makes a grinding noise without doing anything. Tried new batteries, turning off and on again, nothing. The "troubleshooting" section of the instructions is equally useless, just suggesting new batteries. Feels like it was rushed into production and hasn't been properly tested.

It'll be going back to Argos for a refund. Avoid.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2013 3:01 PM GMT

Abachalypse Now (2cd+dvd)
Abachalypse Now (2cd+dvd)
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 12 April 2013
OK, I think Alive & Kicking, the last studio album by Seb is excellent, so I was excited enough about this 2CD + DVD live release to pre-order it.

First the good - the packaging is great and Seb's commitment and energy live on stage remains as high as I remember from seeing him live, both with Skid Row, and again on the "with friends" tour in 2004.

Now the not so good:
Seb has admitted online that much like some of the great live albums of old these live performances have been "touched up" with studio work to improve the quality after the original gigs. The trouble is, it's too obvious that this is the case. There are moments on the CDs when you sense the studio stuff kicking in, and then cutting back to the "original" live recording. Seb is adamant that the DVD versions haven't had the same treatment, but to my ears the DVD soundtrack sounds like the CD audio overlaid. I have too much respect for the man to suggest he's fibbing, I'll let you judge for yourselves, but I swear there are bits on the DVD where he finishes the note, pulls the mic away, but the soundtrack has the singing note held. The final set on the DVD is the only one where I believe the sound is all original, but as Seb mentions when he introduces it, the poor weather played havoc with the recording equipment so it's pretty up and down throughout that set. Kinda like a good-ish bootleg.

Secondly, as has also been reported online Seb and Nick Sterling (the principal guitarist who co-wrote a significant chunk of Kicking & Screaming) have fallen out over a contract disagreement prior to a TV appearance in America. Possibly as a result of that Nick is hardly shown in any of the DVD footage, and is completely missing at the Nokia LA gig. There are plenty of shots of the other guitarist, the drummer, and of course Seb, but only glimpses of Nick's guitar in close up, the frets, etc. In addition some of the live festival footage was clearly filmed by the organisers of the festival rather than a dedicated crew. There are plenty of moments where the camera is on the wrong bit of the action, eg we're watching the rhythm guitar whilst missing a blistering solo on the other side of the stage. Still, the two girls at the front of the crowd at one of the festival gigs get plenty of air time, certainly more than Nick Sterling!

In summary, the quality of live DVDs has come on leaps and bounds in recent years, so perhaps I've been spoilt by Alter Bridge's bar-raising Amsterdam and Wembley DVDs by Daniel E Catulo III. I'm sure I'll stick the CDs in the car in the summer for the Friday afternoon drive home from work, and I'll forgive the tinkering. I cannot whole heartedly recommend the DVD release however.

Not wanting to stoke the argument about Skid Row reunions etc, but I watched this DVD on Saturday last, and then had the pleasure of seeing Skid Row at Cardiff Uni the same night. There's room in my CD rack for both Seb and Skid Row, but based on Saturday's experience I would happily have paid for a live CD of that gig - no touch ups required, Solinger's voice was excellent.

Cheers!

Subhuman Race
Subhuman Race

5.0 out of 5 stars Much maligned, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: Subhuman Race (Audio CD)
This album was slated when it came out, and wasn't particularly well received by the fan base. I've never understood why.

It came out around the time that the John Corabi Motley Crue album was released, another album that bombed because it wasn't what the fans were expecting. Much like the Crue album, Subhuman Race still sounds current, I suggest both will go down in history as being "ahead of their time". This remains a hardcore favourite amongst my friends and I, and always features along with Slave when the beers are open.

To my ears (which I confess have been relatively abused over the years) it sounds like a further step on from the previous two albums. There was uproar when Slave To The Grind came out. The first album was a grittier, dirtier Bon Jovi type record, and Slave was full on metal. Subhuman Race pushes that further, moving into territory occupied by the Metallica Black album, but retaining the sleaze and groove we'd come to love from Seb and Co.

I had the pleasure of seeing them on the tour they did after this album was released. That they'd gone from Docklands with GnR to the Cambridge Corn Exchange based on the sales of this album was a shame for them, but a bonus for the audience. They were awesome close up!

Year of the Cock
Year of the Cock

3.0 out of 5 stars Tongue firmly in cheek, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Year of the Cock (Audio CD)
Oh well, it was a bit of a punt because I love some of the other stuff Rob Mason has sung on, most notably Lynch Mob and the newest Warrant album. His voice is great, the songs are well executed and well produced, but here comes the shocker - they're not actually that well written. True, I shouldn't have been expecting anything groundbreaking from tracks like "You suck the love out of me" and "Old No.7". It's a thirteen track album that only lasts for 40ish minutes, with most tracks being less than 3 minutes long. For completists who already have everything else by Lynch Mob and Warrant, even then you'll need to be the best part through a bottle of Old No.7 before you pick this off the shelf over some of your other choices! :)

And Them Boys Done Swang
And Them Boys Done Swang
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 18 April 2012
It's like the last 20 years didn't happen!

If you own and love Funk O Metal Carpet Ride you should buy this. Cracking tunes, and the sound is brilliant. This was rarely out of my car CD changer last year, it's brilliant summer driving music.

Hurtsmile
Hurtsmile

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album but......., 18 April 2012
This review is from: Hurtsmile (Audio CD)
This album is great. A sure fire hit for anyone who enjoys Extreme. Obviously Mark Cherone isn't Nuno Bettencourt, but he certainly doesn't let the side down. Good songs, well delivered, and a well produced album where everything is clearly separated, but comes together nicely in the mix. I've scored based on the album, but if I was scoring the supplier I'd have given 2 stars. It arrived fairly promptly, but the CD case is broken. This seems to be increasingly common with Amazon, I guess most people (like me) can't be bothered to return it and will just pick up a new case next time they're out and about. It's not an excuse for either poor packaging, poor handling, or worse, sticking it in the post like that.

Cosmic Universal Fashion
Cosmic Universal Fashion
Offered by jim-exselecky

2.0 out of 5 stars Sammy gettin' lazy?, 20 Feb 2009
I'm disappointed with this. I bought it because I've always rated Sammy Hagar as a top notch singer with a Classic Rock voice. I love the Van Halen album Balance, and his early stuff with Montrose.

This album is a touch over 40 minutes. Quite refreshing in today's days of mega-albums, but when one of the songs is a cover (Beastie Boys - You gotta fight for your right to Parrrrrrrty), and another is a near 9 minute extended live track with a lot of chatting to the crowd in it I don't really feel that this represents a full album.

The first 4 tracks are good, but it goes downhill with the odd cover of the Beastie Boys. It feels like a good EP rather than an album of original material.

If you're up for 40 minutes of quality Rock I'd have to recommend the latest Nickelback album Dark Horse instead of this. I've had both in the car for a couple of weeks and I know which one I'll be listening too on the way home at the end of the week.