Profile for Takahe > Reviews

Weeds: The Story of Outlaw Plants
Weeds: The Story of Outlaw Plants
by Richard Mabey

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea..., 25 Nov 2011
A fairly good read though somewhat UK-centric in terms of plant names: the Glossary helps but the length gives some idea of the variety of weeds covered in the text.

I totally agree with several reviewers that suggest the text was rushed, e.g. "Nor it is it easy for Europeans..." (p.245) should not have escaped a sharp-eyed proofreader, nor should the repetition, e.g. the phoenix of the Great Fire of London - 'London rocket' rose twice inside of 70 pages or the constant naming of authors - Culpepper, Clare etc.

Parts of the book were hard going with swags of quoted text and I found the referencing of works thorough but annoying - sometimes in the text other times in the Notes and References: for me it did not help the flow of the text. As one reviewer (Snail "the-snail2") suggested - "A 4-page synopsis of the Day of the Triffids..." - a filler? And another "Pen" who wondered whether their dad managed to get past the half-way point... I wondered whether I would too but found it was worth the effort!

The topic is very interesting and large parts of the book I found terrific: the writer clearly passionate and knowledgeable. However, my feeling is that the book could be improved considerably with a little... pruning (yes, I was tempted to use the 'w' word!)