Profile for Deborah > Reviews

Content by Deborah

Deborah

A Suburb Childhood: Recollections of Hampstead Garden Suburb in the 1950s and 60s
by Edward Zanders

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done, from one of the page 38 girls, 4 April 2014
Having also grown up in the Suburb, and known Ed and some of his friends, I just had to read this.

It's a great tribute to Ed's parents, who did such a good job supporting and encouraging their son whose interests were very different from their own.

It's interesting to see how different Ed's experience was from my own, growing up just a few streets away. Having a piano teacher as a father clearly had valuable side benefits, as well as readily available piano lessons. Also interesting to be reminded of Ed's sense of humour, and the explosions on the Heath - I'm glad we all survived them.

Kipling Women's Reth Shoulder Bag Cumin K12969204
Kipling Women's Reth Shoulder Bag Cumin K12969204

4.0 out of 5 stars My first Kipling bag, 20 May 2013
This is my first Kipling bag. Given it was my first I would have liked to have seen it before I bought it but couldn’t find it in a shop. However buying though Amazon was, as always, simple and efficient

I bought the bag to replace a Ditto bag which had finally failed (zip had broken) after giving excellent service. I chose it because it has similar function - size, toughness, pockets, cross body strap … I had used the Ditto bag day in day out for many years and hope to do the same with my new Kipling bag.

Comparison with my favourite old Ditto bag

At first I was bit disappointed that the Kipling bag is made of thinner material and may therefore be less robust and protect the contents less well. However it also weighs less, which is an advantage.

The strap is a bit narrower which also seems less robust, but again that means it weighs less.

The zips work in the opposite direction to the way the zip on my Ditto bag worked, which has taken a bit of getting used to - but it’s not a big deal.

What I like about it

It’s very practical - it holds what I want to carry, and I can find things in it - I am even using the leash for keys. [It’s a bit difficult to lock/unlock my door with the bag across my body - I’ve solved that problem by taking the bag off first.]

It’s relatively secure. I’ve twice had my purse stolen from handbags where the main compartment has been closed with just a flap and no zip. With this bag all compartments are closed by zips so that seems less of a risk.

The colour - cumin. While this isn’t the most exciting of colours it is reasonably neutral so looks OK with lots of different clothes; I feel it’s a bit more fun than black or brown or navy.

Dislikes

None really, except doubts about its robustness - but time will tell whether that’s a real concern.

Other comments

I quite like the dangly Kipling monkeys when I see them on other people’s bags, but I also feel they are a bit corny so have taken the one on my bag off; this was easy to do.

There’s quite a range of prices so it’s worth shopping around. When I bought it Amazon was cheapest. It was quite expensive (£45.50) but worth it if it does the job.

Other reviews suggest that some people get quite hooked on Kipling bags and buy lots of them. Whether I will do the same remains to be seen.

The instructions suggest surface washing if it gets dirty. I have read somewhere that at least one owner puts her Kipling bags in the washing machine to clean them. My bag certainly looks as though it would survive machine washing and it would be good if Kipling actually suggested this. I don’t like dress manufacturers who hide behind “dry clean only” labels and to me it would be an added bonus if Kipling were to say that occasional machine washing of their bags is ok.

Craghoppers Women's Kiwi Winter Lined Trousers - Cocoa, Regular-Size 12
Craghoppers Women's Kiwi Winter Lined Trousers - Cocoa, Regular-Size 12
Offered by Trekwear

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant trousers, 6 Mar. 2012
I bought a second pair of these trousers because they are the only trousers I can find that a) fit and b) keep my legs warm in winter.

Another thing I like very much about them is that they wash and dry like a dream - they dry very quickly and don't need ironing!

Unfortunately they are not the most flattering trousers I've ever worn - but perhaps that's the price you have to pay to be warm and comfortable. I use them for going for walks and for shopping, and for keeping warm in the house when the heating can't quite cope.

The multiple pockets could be useful athough I can't imagine ever using all of them. The pocket on the leg will just about take a phone but would be better if it was a bit bigger. I use the hand-warming pockets a lot - the pocket linings are kind to the hands - smooth.

I just hope that Craghoppers are still making these trousers when mine wear out. Hopefully that will be a long time off, but maybe not as I wear them such a lot.

5 Star Document Wallet Half Flap 250gsm Capacity 32mm Foolscap Yellow [Pack of 50]

4.0 out of 5 stars These are fine, 4 Feb. 2012
Lightweight and thinnish card which is what I wanted. I've been using them for a few weeks and so far the glue has not failed - the wallets have not fallen apart.

As with all document wallets that I've ever use, you have to be careful to avoid getting paper cuts from them - I try to blunt the sharp edges with the back of the blade of a pair of scissors before using them - if I have time and remember. It helps.

Braun Oral-B Professional Care 1000 One-Mode Rechargeable Toothbrush (Packaging Varies)
Offered by Easy-Merchant

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective, 4 Feb. 2012
I'm very pleased with this new brush. It's my 4th Braun electric toothbrush, and the best.

I like

1. the fact that the brush head rotates fast - seems more effective than my older slower ones.

2. the light that warns you that the batteries need c-harging - before the toothbrush becomes slow and ineffective.

3. The light which warns you that you're brushing too hard (although in practicve it doesn't come on very often when I use it).

I like less

1. The button yu hav eto oress to tyrn teh brush on is small and a bit hard to press so a bit uncomfortable.

2. The brush takes a long time to charge up. In practice this isn't really a problem to me however as I have two brushes and use one while the other is on charge.

3. The fact that with this brush as with all Braun rechargeables, it would be a hard job to replace the rechargeable battery when it eventually, and inevitably, fails.

Hotties Microhottie Microwave Hot Water Bottle - Leopard Print
Hotties Microhottie Microwave Hot Water Bottle - Leopard Print

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 27 Nov. 2011
I have had three Hotties before. This time I bought two: this one and a pink fleecy one. I prefer the pink fleecy one. The furry cover of this one isn't as luxious as I had hoped - it's more bathmat-style fleece than soft silky fleece. Also the fleece is rather thick and doesn't let the heat out of the inner quite as fast as I would have liked. It is still perefctly useable but if I'm only using one Hottie I choose the pink fleecy one rather than this one. Being more bulky the furry one takes up more room in a drawer when not in use, which is another disadvantage compared with the fleecy one. It looks pretty, though, and if you particularly like the look, or you want one that lets the heat out really slowly then maybe a furry one woud be best.

I absolutely love Hotties. My bedroom is rather cold and I hate the shock of getting into a cold bed. With a Hottie (or two), however, the cold doesn't bother me - I almost welcome the cold bed for the pleasure I get from cuddling my hot Hottie(s).

I heat the Hottie(s) - two if it's really cold, otherwise just one - in my microwave for 2 minutes 20 secs just before I go to bed. So much safer and more convenient than messing around with boiling water and a traditional rubber hot water bottle. And no risk of them bursting and leaking in the bed (or at least when they get old and eventually spring a leak it's only a small leak).

Sometimes if it's really cold in the house I heat a Hottie and stick it up my jumper!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2012 12:35 AM GMT

Hotties Microhottie Microwave Hot Water Bottle - Pink Polyester Fleece
Hotties Microhottie Microwave Hot Water Bottle - Pink Polyester Fleece

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, 27 Nov. 2011
I have had three Hotties before. This time I bought two: this one and a furry one. I prefer this one. The fleecy cover is a gorgeous colour, just the right thickness to protect me against the hot inner but also to let heat out fast enough.

I warm the Hotties - two if it's really cold, otherwise just one - in my microwave for 2 minutes 20 secs just before I go to bed. So much safer and more convenient than messing around with boiling water and an ordinary hot water bottle. And no risk of them bursting and leaking in the bed (or at least when they get old and eventually spring a leak it's only a small leak).

by Elaine Bass

4.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening, 14 May 2011
To anyone who wants to know more about the compulsion of OCD, and how it can affect family members, this is a compelling read.

Reading an extract about the cinema incident in Saga magazine prompted me to buy the book.

When it arrived I found it hard to put down and completed reading it in a couple of days.

I was puzzled at how somebody could produce such a well-written book at the age of 83? I wondered whether there had been a ghost writer but found no mention of one. I discovered, by listening to a Woman's Hour interview with the author on the BBC's web site, that she had written it with the encouragement of, and after attending a creative writing course run by, Fay Weldon. (An excellent advert for the benefits of attending such a course.)

The book gives a very frank account of the author's life with her husband and young daughter. I too would like to know what happened the author and her daughter after the end of the book, but it would be difficult to publish an equally frank - and revealing - account while both are still alive.

Razor A5 Lux Kick Scooter
Razor A5 Lux Kick Scooter

4.0 out of 5 stars Scooting along with running friend, 2 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Razor A5 Lux Kick Scooter (Sports)
I used to run but my knees started hurting so I had to stop.

I wanted to get some other exercise and also wanted to continue going out with my running partner. Someone gave me an old small-wheeled scooter so I scooted on this while my friend ran. However the small wheels gave me some frightening moments when they got stuck in pavement irregularities. So I decided to look for a scooter with bigger wheels - and bought the Razor A5 Lux.

The Razor A5 Lux has enabled me to continue to accompany my running friend so to that extent it is as success. It is less likely to come to an abrupt stop than the small-wheeled scooter, which is good. However the pavements where I live - a residential area of London - are very uneven and I still feel quite nervous that I will fall off. It is less effort to ride than the small-wheeled scooter so more fun, but less exercise.

The scooter is quite fun on smooth surfaces - but they are few and far between.

I had thought I might scoot to some shops about 2 miles away, and carry the scooter around in a rucksack while shopping. However now I have the machine I'm not so sure. A scoot on pavement for 2 miles would be a bit nerve wracking, the scooter is too big and heavy to carry around in even a large rucksack, and carrying anything while riding it is tricky.

In summary

Pros

It is safer than a small-wheeled scooter, and has enabled me to continue to scoot along with my runner friend.
It looks quite nice - better than I was expecting.
I often get smiles from other people out and about who don't expect to see a woman in her late fifties on a scooter. (One friend referred to it as my "mobility scooter" - which I suppose is what it is.
On smooth surfaces it can be real fun to ride - but there aren't many suitable smooth surfaces near where I live.

Cons

Still not as a safe as I would like when scooting over cracks in pavements and drains.
Too bulky and heavy to carry around while shopping.

I recommend reading other reviews for this scooter on Amazon's US site.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2013 8:32 PM GMT