Profile for Jaystor71 > Reviews

Coffee Bean Brown Comes Alive
Coffee Bean Brown Comes Alive
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Heard only one track - but it was a great track, 24 Jun 2014
Heard the last track on this album - really grooves. Good honest rock and roll with lots of expression. Plus, it was a good live recording.

Grado PS500 Professional Series Open Backed Headphones
Grado PS500 Professional Series Open Backed Headphones
Offered by Hifiheadphones

5.0 out of 5 stars (Un)believable headphones, 28 Feb 2014
These headphones have, within the few days that I've owned them, changed the way that I listen to music.

As a music lover and amateur musician, I have loved using headphones since my teenage years as I've always felt more able to discern details that were missed on speakers (unless they were very high end £1500+ speakers, attached to very high end players and amps, which I could only audition in a shop). I've owned and listened to a number of headphones through the years and I have never had an experience like listening to these.

On other headphones, such as the AT ATH-M50s, the Shure SRH-940s, the AKG K/Q-701/2s and the Senn HD650s (not to mention an old pair of Beyer DT931, which I thought were great), I could discern details in various sections of the frequency range depending on the headphones -- as they all had their strengths and weaknesses. I would usually find myself honing in on one part - the drums, the guitar, the vocals -- and skipping from track to track, seeing what the 'phones could do. I clearly felt like I was listening to headphones and the manufacturer's interpretation of what the instruments, or indeed the ensemble, sounded like.

The PS500s are an altogether different experience. First, I have never heard a more believable sound coming from headphones before. Drums and cymbals sound real, vocals sound real, guitars sound real. These headphones get timbre right and overtones, undertones and decay are spot on. When I purchased a pair of AKG K702s several years ago, the packaging stated something to the effect of 'Welcome to perfection' -- no way. Vocals sounded a bit 'plasticy' and drums sounded almost like caricatures of the real thing. Everything sounds very real on the PS500s and very balanced and cohesive.

Second, I have never been more engrossed in the music than when listening through these headphones. Since I've picked them up and I have not found myself (as I often do) skipping from track to track to see what they are capable of. I've enjoyed the music so much, I've stayed on the track each time to get the full experience. I've never enjoyed my music collection so much. The headphones get the pace and timing right and also magically transport me to the performance (especially on good recordings). The Buena Vista Social Club cd is masterfully recorded and the feeling/emotion of the musicians comes through on these headphones like I've never heard before. With spot on imaging and very good soundstage, I feel like I'm either at the recording venue or listening through very high end speakers, approximating the experience.

Lastly, they are very comfortable both physically and sonically. They are relatively light and the pads are comfortable (and I understand that they get more comfortable with use). Also, the sound signature to me, sounds balanced. 'Peaky', 'shrilly' recordings like the Arctic Monkeys Crying Lightning don't hurt my ears. Everything is very refined and I can hear everything on the recording.

I'm more than very impressed with these. I haven't heard the HD800s or the T1s, and after listening to these, I don't want to. I can imagine a slight amount of improved treble extension, bass extension and soundstage that the PS1000s are supposed to offer. And I can imagine that the PS1000 might be the absolute perfect headphones. But these to me are perfect enough.

One note about pairing these with an amp. I'm using a well run in Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear Diamond Edition, which was designed (according to the manufacturer) with Grados in mind (Grado uses this amp at their demos here in the UK), among other headphones. I have to say that I couldn't be happier with the result but I don't have anything else to compare it to.

AKG K550 High-Performance Closed-Back Reference Class Headphones - Black
AKG K550 High-Performance Closed-Back Reference Class Headphones - Black
Offered by home AV direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Really didn't like them, 31 Oct 2013
My partner and I tried out about 5 or 6 different closed headphones (proper source, amplification, etc) and we thought these were the worst of the bunch. They sounded like they had a quite a bit of odd order harmonic distortion and made orchestral pieces difficult to listen to. The sound signature itself wasn't the problem, they had ample bass, good treble and midrange. They were just subtly screechy - and least compared with the others (from Beyer, Shure, German Maestro and Sony).

I know they've received a lot of praise, and I don't mean to contradict other opinions. Just wasn't personally impressed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2014 10:27 AM BST

Premier Housewares Eden 3-Drawer Bedside Cabinet with Solid Oak Veneer Finish - 63 x 44 x 46 cm

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 7 Oct 2013
Agree with the other review, this is pretty poor quality and expensive for what it is. Better alternatives can be found elsewhere.

Fackelmann 42411 Printed Measuring Beaker 1 Litre
Fackelmann 42411 Printed Measuring Beaker 1 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, 20 April 2013
Looked for a replacement jug after our original Philips hand blender jug cracked. This exceeded the quality of the original.

Wanderin'
Wanderin'

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite albums, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Wanderin' (MP3 Download)
Great debut album from this Austin band. Really original Americana music, upbeat, soulful, complex. One of the few albums I'm happy to put on and listen to from beginning to end. Shame they broke up and shame they didn't have more of a following (or that they never came to the UK to perform!). Favourite tracks are Caroline, Ease my mind, Tell her for me.

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens
Offered by spot sales

5.0 out of 5 stars Super impressed, 13 Sep 2012
Having come back to SLRs after an almost decade-long hiatus, I was looking for a good, not-too-expensive prime lens to use on my new Canon (I had used a film Minolta SLR in the 80s and 90s, so can't use any of those lenses with AF). I narrowed it down to the 35 f/2, the 50mm f/1.4 or the 85mm f/1.8 (the 'L' versions of these three lenses, whilst producing beautiful results, are way outside my budget). Although each of these three lenses are faster than the 40mm 2.8, the 40mm 'pancake' is so sharp wide open that it's actually usable wide open (with minimum vignetting and barrel distortion on an APS-C). The colours and contrast are fantastic, especially stopped down a little.

It's not an 'L' lens -- I got to use a 50mm f/1.2 one evening on my camera and the colours were a bit richer, there was a bit more 'micro contrast' and of course the bokeh was lovely at f/1.2. But the 40mm isn't too far off (the 7 curved aperture blades give a nice bokeh in my opinion, if the subject is up close at f/2.8), especially at the price. This lens definitely punches above its weight. Build quality is excellent, although there is an issue with the lens locking up under certain conditions. It's only happened once to me in two weeks of having it and it just meant disengaging it from the body (not even taking it off) and clicking it back in place to resolve it. There's a firmware update to fix it but it requires a 650D, a 5D MkIII or a 1D X to apply it. Otherwise, it needs to be sent to Canon to apply the firmware (although newer batches of the lens are supposed to have the firmware already applied).

So, considering the image quality, the price and the size and weight, I think this lens is excellent. I've actually found the 40mm focal length to be quite useful. Looking back at the EXIF data for the photos I took with my kit lens since I bought the camera, about half of them were taken at 35mm and half at 50mm, so this lens is almost a good 'in between' (a bit closer to 35mm), so it suits my needs.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2012 10:39 PM GMT

Peanut Butter & Co Crunch Time Peanut Butter 340g (Pack of 6)
Peanut Butter & Co Crunch Time Peanut Butter 340g (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best peanut butter, 28 May 2012
This peanut butter ranks with the wheel and democracy as some of the best things human kind has ever created.

Skech Blue Fabric Flipper Case & Stand for iPad 2, 3 & 4
Skech Blue Fabric Flipper Case & Stand for iPad 2, 3 & 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and most smart cover like, 27 May 2012
Just what I was looking for. I was looking for something hat acted like an Apple Smart Cover but wanted to get something that also protected the back (I have a Smart Cover and tried the Smart Cover/back cover shell combination that many suggest on the web but found it to be too bulky).

The Smart Cover piece of this Skech case is the most Smart Cover like I've found (and I've tried several from the likes of Targus, etc). The auto on off works brilliantly and the cover doesn't slip around like many others do so it stays securely on much like the Smart Cover. It snaps on easily and the back is well protected. The top is mostly exposed except for the corners, which I think is ok as it offers great access to the headphones, the on/off switch and the mic (there are photos of this on the Internet). The material feels really nice, and the edges aren't sharp like some hardcovers I've tried.

Merchant Gourmet Beluga Lentils 250 g (Pack of 6)
Merchant Gourmet Beluga Lentils 250 g (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these, 26 Feb 2012
These are great -- tasty, nutritious and quick. I usually mix them in with some rice or couscous, olive oil and some veggies for a quick meal. Beats a ready meal on nutrition and flavour I think (and they last quite a while in the cupboard).

Page: 1 | 2