Profile for Joan Whittaker > Reviews

Content by Joan Whittaker

Joan Whittaker (Barnsley, South Yorkshire, UK)

Price: 23.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell to a Genius, 25 Oct 2005
I must admit I was a bit apprehensive when I heard that Chris Rea was to issue an 11 CD set. I did not see how anyone could undertake such a huge project and hope that it would be up to his usual standard. I really need not have feared. Since receiving my copy of Blue Guitars at the beginning of last week I have listened to all 11 discs and have yet to find a bad one. All the CD's are named for a particular type of blues and I have to say that they are all to a greater or lesser degree evocative of the genre they are named for.
If this set had been issued by somebody new to the music scene, then all the usual pundits would be lauding him. For Chris Rea, it is his farewell and a very poignant farewell it is. If he had never issued anything else, then this would stand as a brilliant body of work. Taken together with all the albums issued over the last 25 years, then it is outstanding.
If you have never really listened to Chris Rea, then this is an opportunity to discern why he has had a faithful following over the years and why we have all looked forward eagerly to each new release.
Thanks for the music Chris - we will not forget the pleasure you have given us and look forward to any releases with your new band Fireflies.

Price: 23.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell to a Genius, 21 Oct 2005
I must admit I was a bit apprehensive when I heard that Chris Rea was to issue an 11 CD set. I did not see how anyone could undertake such a huge project and hope that it would be up to his usual standard. I really need not have feared. Since receiving my copy of Blue Guitars at the beginning of the week I have listened to all 11 discs and haven't found one that I didn't like. All the CD's are named for a particular type of blues and I have to say that they are all to a greater or lesser degree evocative of the genre they are named for.
If you have never really listened to Chris Rea, then take this excellent opportunity to discern why he has had a faithful following over the years and why we have all looked forward eagerly to each new release.

Falling Into You
Falling Into You
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 3.29

1.0 out of 5 stars A Crime Against Good Songwriting, 15 Sep 2004
This review is from: Falling Into You (Audio CD)
Before buying this record I quite liked Celine Dion - not overwhelmingly so, but she could put a song across.
However, after listening to this and having heard her "murder" such beautiful songs as Eric Carmen's "All By Myself", I can no longer listen to her without cringing.
Whilst I appreciate that to some fans she can do no wrong, on this album she can and has. She goes on to put her own touch on River Deep, Mountain High and Natural Woman. She really should have left them alone and in future should leave the classics, which in the majority of cases have been recorded definitively by the original artist, to stand by themselves. Judging by her performance on this album she definitely cannot better them.
All in all, for crimes against music, only one star.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2009 4:07 PM BST

Blow Fly
Blow Fly
by Patricia Cornwell
Price: 9.65

1.0 out of 5 stars A Book too far, 13 Nov 2003
This review is from: Blow Fly (Hardcover)
I have been an avid reader of the Kay Scarpetta novels, but Patricia Cornwell has, I fear, written a book too many. Kay has left Richmond and is in private practice as a consultant. However, she is still the target of serial killers - is there no-one else they can focus their evil thoughts upon. The Chardonne plot is a mish mash of previous books and the fact that one is left alive at the end leads to the conclusion that he will reappear. I really do hope not.
Normally upon purchasing a Kay Scarpetta novel, I have sat and not been able to put the book down until finished. With this one, it has taken me three weeks to finish. I really didn't want to pick it up to finish it. When the writer stoops to bringing characters back from the dead, then I might just as well watch re-runs of Dallas - and I didn't even watch the first run.
What has happened to the Kay Scarpetta who drew us into her cases with her empathy for victims and plotlines which were at least believable.
Sorry - that is it for me. I shall not rush out to buy the next novel and will wait for it to turn up in my local second hand shop.