Profile for Dhy > Reviews

Content by Dhy

Dhy

Ultimate New Job: The Definitive Guide To Surviving And Thriving As A New Starter: Volume 1
by James Innes

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book, because first impressions count, 23 Oct. 2012
As a fan of James Innes I would have no hestitation in recommending his books. His work has been not only a great practical help to me in my job search, it has also been inspirational in making me aim higher in my career. I would say, without a shadow of a doubt, that his books played an integral role in landing my new job and this book has been a great, great help in helping me to make a good first impression.

If I were to describe myself honestly, I'd say I don't like taking chances. This series of books helped me to jump over the hurdles that were stopping me from getting on in my career and take my chances with a challenging new role. Having got the sort of job I was always after, this book gave me practical advice on how to fit in and move forward. It's clear, simple and concise. Above all else, it's extremely helpful.

Seriously, do yourself a favour and go out and buy at least one of this author's books. You'll feel like you're stealing the advice!

The Interview Question & Answer Book:Your definitive guide to the bestanswers to even the toughest interview questions: Your definitive guide to ... to even the toughest interview questions

5.0 out of 5 stars Another sterling effort from the author, 23 Oct. 2012
I have to admit to being slightly sceptical about this book when I first opened it. I mean, how could one person have so much knowledge of what other employers would be asking in their interviews? Well, I stand corrected. This is, without a doubt, a comprehensive, detailed and just plain helpful guide to what interviewers want from you.

I'm actually in a bit of a unique situation in that I've been interviewed on plenty of occasions for jobs as well as having been an interviewer on multiple occasions. Not only did this job help me in my last job interview, it also gave me ideas for ways to structure questions and get the most out of the people I was interviewing.

As I said in my review to the excellent companion book to this, 'The Interview Book', preparation is the key to success in interviews. As someone who is prone to going blank when put on the spot (just let me ask the questions!), this book has helped no end.

Another sterling effort from James Innes

The Interview Book:Your definitive guide to the perfect interview: Your definitive guide to the perfect interview (2nd Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helps to get rid of those nerves, 23 Oct. 2012
I have to say that this book was a real, real help to me. I have suffered from nerves at interviews, to the poinbt where I just go blank. I have thoguht about getting some professional training but this book actually gave me the boost I needed to get out there and feel more confident in my abilities.

Preparation is the key for interviews (I know, I found out the hard way!) and this book helps you to feel prepared and ready. Don't get me wrong, I stil had some nerves when I walked into my last interview, but with the help of this book I feel like I really did a whole lot better than I had done beforehand. And... I got the job. So, if there is a better endorsement of that I'd like to hear it!

Five stars!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2013 4:32 PM GMT

The Cover Letter Book: Your Definitive Guide to Writing the Perfect Cover Letter
by James Innes

5.0 out of 5 stars A great companion to The CV Book. A clear winner., 23 Oct. 2012
I bought James Innes' other title, 'The CV Book' a while back and have recently reviewed that. Right now I'm taking the time to write reviews for all of his books that I have bought and read because (as you can see) I'm a fan.

As I said in my last review, I have a strong work history but had zero knowledge of what employers wanted to see when I wrote to them. I used to have a two-page cover letter with all sorts of information that I now realise should have been on my CV. Reading this book was an eye-opener and, coupled with my new CV that I wrote while reading The CV Book, I have, what I feel is, a strong, concise marketing tool to promote myself to employers.

If you want to be taken seriously in the workplace, you have to give your job applications your best shot. This book, along with the other ones I bought by James Innes, has given me the confidence to go for the jobs I really want.

Good advice is priceless.

The CV Book: Your Definitive Guide to Writing the Perfect CV
The CV Book: Your Definitive Guide to Writing the Perfect CV
by James Innes

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't get two chances to impress, so pick this up now!, 23 Oct. 2012
I'll say this straight away and without any shadow of a doubt - do not hesitate to buy this book.

When it came to applying for jobs, I realised quite early on that my weakest point was my CV. I have a decent work history, a good education and some good technical skills but knowing how to market myself on paper was something else altogether.

Having been recommended this book by a friend, I took the plunge and bought it. What I received was clear, practical advice on what employers want to see on my CV (and that's what matters really, no?). James has a great way of writing - he's informative, witty and obviously vastly experienced.

As I said in my title, no employer will look at your CV twice, so you may as well get it right the first time.

In my humble opinion, I'd rate this book five stars all the way. It really has been a lifesaver for me - and since then I've gone ahead and invested in the author's other books as well.

...oh, and did I mention, the tips I got from this book helped me to land my new job!