Profile for Janet Raynor > Reviews

Content by Janet Raynor

Janet Raynor (UK)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 10 Mar. 2011
It's wonderfully lightweight - who wants a cover that weighs more than the Kindle itself? It's somewhat overpriced for what it is, and not as handsome as some of the more expensive covers, but it will do what it's meant to do, seems pretty sturdy, and because it's so light, I will carry my kindle everywhere...

I ordered it on a Tuesday evening using FREE Super Saver Delivery, and it arrived Thursday morning. Great service!

Herland (A Women's Press classic)
Herland (A Women's Press classic)
by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

5.0 out of 5 stars As relevant now as it was when it was written, 28 Aug. 2008
I strongly disagree with earlier reviews which imply that this book is only of historical interest. The issues Gilman address are as topical now as when they were first written. I've read this book at least seven times, and I admit that the first few times I was distracted by the blatant bias, the sometimes clumsy style and the clunky plot, but with each subsequent reading I have been more gripped by the ideas that Gilman explores. Yes, it's simplistic. Yes, it's a bit 'obvious' in places. Yes, the characters are sterotyped and wooden. And the role of women-as-mothers is frustratingly restricted. But I can ignore all that and just marvel at the observations on human nature in this improbable - but in many ways admirable - feminist utopia. She addresses issues that are still very much alive today: feminism (of course), the environment / conservation, violence, socialisation, love, life, death and the universe...

And to top it all, it's funny.

Who Cooked the Last Supper?
Who Cooked the Last Supper?
by Rosalind Miles

5.0 out of 5 stars What they don't teach us in school..., 15 July 2008
...or at least they didn't teach me this when I was at school way back. I suspect that they still don't. A fascinating account of how women were written out of history, politics, religion - just about everything... Funny, too.

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers/The Wizard Of Oz/... [DVD]
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers/The Wizard Of Oz/... [DVD]
Dvd ~ Judy Garland

4.0 out of 5 stars Battle of the sexes, 28 Jun. 2005
An interesting view of the battles of the sexes of the not-so-distant past, and how the movie industry tried to shape our dreams and nightmares. As with many musicals of the mid-twentieth century, the themes of two of these films are around the relationship between women and men: how men catch women, how women get to keep men.
Annie Get Your Gun, with Annie a strong, competent and independent woman, shows one of the biggest capitulations of all in musicals, and is worth watching for that alone (did our parents and grandparents really take in these messages?), but there's also some great music, with the battles fought out in songs such as 'The Girl That I Marry', 'You Can't Get a Man with a Gun', and 'Anything You Can Do I Can do Better'.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is a little more subtle (just a little), and overall has better songs and dance scenes (but listen carefully to the words of songs such as 'Sobbin' Women', 'A Woman Ought To Know Her Place', and 'Lonesome Polecat' to see prevailing mysogyny). It's a great film as long as you don't take it seriously.

The exception in this collection is The Wizard of Oz, where women have strong roles, and men - although in far greater number - have mainly supporting roles. Despite this, I found this the most disappointing of the collection. There's really only one good song here ('Over the Rainbow'), and the sentimentalism throughout is a bit cloying.

The Descent of Woman
The Descent of Woman
by Elaine Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Putting women in the picture, 28 Jun. 2005
This review is from: The Descent of Woman (Paperback)
I've bought about 5 copies of this book since the first edition was published in the 1970s: they were lent to friends because the book is so good, and not returned for the same reason.
Elaine Morgan provides a refreshing and plausible account of how we got where we are today, how you cannot consider evolution without considering women, and challenges many of the men-the-mighty-hunter myths.
What puzzles me is that her theories (based on Hardy) have now got wide-spread credence, but it is still possible to find recently-published books on evolution that make no reference to the aquatic theory.
A brilliant book: informative, readable ... and - added bonus - funny.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2012 10:29 PM BST