Profile for R. Armour > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Heaven & Earth
Heaven & Earth

2.0 out of 5 stars Not yes ... more maybe, 21 Sep 2014
This review is from: Heaven & Earth (Audio CD)
Sounds tired and one paced all the way through. This is the first yes album I can't find something to love.

It's not that it's horrible , it's like they phoned it in.

Live in Poland
Live in Poland

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it and I normally hate bootlegs., 16 July 2014
This review is from: Live in Poland (Audio CD)
I hate poor quality bootlegs - some of the rubbish I have been sold just sucked. I am not sure how this was recorded, it certainly wasn't on a mobile recording desk. But I enjoyed playing this - it's quality is not as bad as some have made out. I have the 5 box sets of remastered Genesis but there was no live stuff from the Ray Wilson era. So I bought this cd just to see how it sounded and I was pleasantly surprised.

Hydra
Hydra
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite TOTO., 16 July 2014
This review is from: Hydra (Audio CD)
This is my favourite TOTO album. It has some really strong songs like 'Hydra' , 'Mama' and my huge favourite 'White Sister' I have read in interviews that the band was flexing it's prog muscles. I wonder just how far they could have taken this approach. It's not totally proggy but it's a step forward from the first album which was a varied tightly constructed album. It's not Genesis or even Kansas it is definatly TOTO with a well constructed album.

Best Sounds
Best Sounds
Offered by MEGA Media FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Totally Essential - but I'm glad I bought it, 16 July 2014
This review is from: Best Sounds (Audio CD)
Bought this 'just because', and I have kept it in the car playing it non stop. Worth getting as a way into the band \, but not an essential purchase I suppose. I am glad I bought it and I really enjoy it.

Universal
Universal

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had bought it sooner, 17 May 2014
This review is from: Universal (Audio CD)
How come I never heard of this band until a couple of years ago. Never mind just buy this. I am working my way through the back catalogue nothing duff so far and I have 7 albums now including this one.

Live they are a revelation - the orchestra adds to this , the setting is magnificent. I watch a dvd like this and just wish I had been there.

Why it's not in 5.1 I don't know - as I think that would have allowed the orchestra to be heard a little better. Even in stereo this is great music well played to an enthusiastic crowd.

U.K. : Reunion - Live In Tokyo [DVD] [2013] [US Import]
U.K. : Reunion - Live In Tokyo [DVD] [2013] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Eddie Jobson
Offered by marvelio-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars A great show filmed ok, 17 May 2014
I put this on really worried about how it had been filmed- after the comments floating around. It is not a 22 camera digital shoot, and some of the angles are interesting. Just to give some perspective I hate bootlegs with poor quality - but this is totally watchable. It's not bad it's just not Rush Clockwork Angels tour. Anyway I am more than happy to watch this.

On to the show itself. All I can say is I wish I had been there. John Wetton's voice is sounding great, Eddie's keyboards are on the money and his violin is awesome. The other 2 guys - I am sorry to say I had never heard of them before. I will be looking for some more of their work as both Alex on guitar and Marco on drums add to the band.

I wish I had been at the gig.

Any chance of a cd release ?

On My Way to the Sun
On My Way to the Sun
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Elefante going back to Kansas, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: On My Way to the Sun (Audio CD)
This has a definite Kansas influence and sound. It also has a Mastedon sound - thanks to John Elefante's vocals. This album seems to follow on from the last Mastedon album. It opens with my new favourite John Elefante song - a big production number with a song that could have been on the next Kansas studio album. The quality is maintained all the way through the album.

Only Revolutions
Only Revolutions

5.0 out of 5 stars A few bucks well spent, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: Only Revolutions (Audio CD)
I saw the cover of this album in a book of album covers. Most of my rock music is of the 'proggy' nature so I ignored this band. Then discovered that this band were 3 mates from Ayrshire. I left from Prestwick in Ayrshire in 1976 for south Africa. I am now 50 and was wondering if I could find any current bands to listen to. So putting all this together I thought I'd blow a fiver and see if this lot were any good. I really enjoyed this album and have ordered 'puzzle' from amazon next. So a fiver well spent and I look forward to working my way through their other albums.

Radiation 2013
Radiation 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Radiation 2013 (Audio CD)
I had bought a couple of the madfish repackages - really love the hard back book format. Anyway when I saw they had remixed Radiation, I was a bit dubious about the whole thing. I mean a double album old mix /new mix looked like a potential ripoff. But the new mix is brilliant. There are real guitars in there - that's what struck me the most listening to it. Voices and instruments seem clearer. Anyway I have played the new mix 4 times and have gone nowhere near the old mix. I will eventually listen to this version of the old mix ...but the new mix is just so much better and clearer. The songs seem less homogenised - they have more detail. It's hard to explain without doing another track by track analysis - which has been done really well in the reviews already already. If you are on the fence about getting this - do yourselves a favour and get it. Now if they could do the same for a certain Rush comeback album ...but those plans seem to have vapourised.

Close to the Edge
Close to the Edge

5.0 out of 5 stars Somebody 'fixed' the cd sound, 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: Close to the Edge (Audio CD)
I got this album years ago. I won't bore you with the details about the songs etc many have done it better here. I am not a major audiofile - I do more listening in the car and on my computer at work than I do at home. I love cd's for the convenience - but I miss the big 12 inch gatefold sleeves ... but you can't play an lp in a car. So I traded in my lp (I made sure it went to a good home) and the I bought the cd. A few years later I bought this release with bonus tracks. The cover is great at least tries to get back to the magic of the lp sleeve. But The sound, the difference is huge... It's like somebody opened the door and now you can hear the band clearly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3