ARRAY(0xa7742c48)

Mantequero
Mantequero
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Be careful what you wish for!, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Mantequero (Kindle Edition)
I was delighted to get hold of a review copy of this title. Jenny Twist spins a chilling yarn of a downtrodden sister, daughter and auntie attempting to escape her family's judgements at Christmas time with a spontaneous trip to southern Spain.

An insight into Spanish folk culture and a short story worthy of Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected, Ms Twist writes with confidence and flair. I really loved this tale and consider it a half hour extremely well spent. I'm looking forward to reading more of this author's work. So, if you have a spare moment, you can't go wrong with Mantequero!

The Angels' Cut (The Angels' Share series)
The Angels' Cut (The Angels' Share series)
Price: 2.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Hold on to your hat!, 26 Dec 2013
I was very lucky to get hold of a review copy of this work. This story of a modern day Cadfael who believes in family, love, honour and safety takes us into the underground world of Spooks fighting organised crime on Sam Duncan's journey to find his missing sister.

Laced with both tension, fear, humour and warmth Mac Logan writes in a fast-paced and to the point style to produce an excellent thriller. The sporadic violence is written in a tasteful, non-gory fashion generating just the right amount of horror to keep the story realistic. The Scottish flavour adds an attractive exoticism for a northern isles novice from down south.

I rarely read thrillers though I can feel a conversion on the cards. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another of Mr Logan's work - you can't go wrong with this one.

Bunny on a Bike: Playboy croupiers in 80s London (a Bev and Carol adventure)
Bunny on a Bike: Playboy croupiers in 80s London (a Bev and Carol adventure)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheerful and engrossing distraction, 12 July 2013
It's the 80s and Carol & Bev have finished their degrees and are aimlessly looking for their next adventure. They stumble across an advert offering jobs as Bunny Girls in a London casino.

With a simple and fresh humour Bev Spicer brings us this light-hearted tale of youth and frivolity that brings those wonderful years of freedom flooding back! In addition it gives an interesting insight into the behind the scenes of the famous Playboy organisation.

Spicer's writing is confident and fluent. Rather excitingly, this is the first of a number of works by her already on the market, including 'One Summer in France', the prequel to 'Bunny on a Bike' only recently published and I, for one, can't wait to read it.

If you're looking for some cheerful and engrossing distraction this is the book for you!'

Hell in the Kitchen
Hell in the Kitchen

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep 'em coming - delighted!, 3 Jun 2013
Gary Pansey, already renowned for his starring role in Texting Orwell, has now become a famous TV chef. But Garry doesn't like what he sees in the mirror. Hell in the Kitchen is a hilariously funny account of this TV chef's rise or fall, depending on your point of view - read it and decide for yourself.

Little brings us a real sense of culinary magic and pride from kitchens both in England and France laced with a particular brand of humour so typical of this author. His writing is insightful, philosopical, observant and, above all, terribly funny in this, his second work. I'm looking forward to reading Luck Box. Keep 'em coming - delighted!

Aunt Sally & More
Aunt Sally & More

5.0 out of 5 stars And another one please!, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: Aunt Sally & More (Kindle Edition)
And another one please!
I was lucky enough to be a beta reader for this title. Aunt Sally & More was even better than the first in the series. I was once again totally absorbed into the personal lives of the Aunt Sally team members, which take surprising twists and turns keeping the reader hooked throughout. I would love to comment on the writing but it was so skilfully orchestrated I actually didn't notice it, nor the words nor the page; I was simply flung into the story and lived it until it was over. Ms Merauld has excelled herself with this sequel and I would dearly love to read another - Oxfordenders at its best.

The Dating Game
The Dating Game

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it in 1 day!, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Dating Game (Kindle Edition)
Ms Buchanan sent me an ARC copy of this novel and I was not disappointed. I devoured it. I found it liberating, fun and as if I'd had a great city break.

Chick-lit really isn't my scene but I swallowed this whole and I'm sure it's because the plots and characters have a lot more depth than your average chick-lit. The characters are really well drawn; Anton is a dream, Gill is perfect and an example to us all. The pace is good in the most part and my heart lurched at the agonising choice Gill is faced with towards the end.

I loved the whole city feel to it, made me want to wax my legs, grab some heels, stick on some lippy and move into town!

Don't Fear The Reaper
Don't Fear The Reaper
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A chilling tale of the uglier side of human nature, 25 Oct 2012
I was instantly captured by this novel ! The most ordinary of human beings are faced with the most unnerving decisions in this story of luck, fate and destiny. I really enjoyed this book; i ts realism touched me to the point where I had to intermittently put it down to breathe and take in the horror of the situation.
The huge range of characters has the potential to be confusing but the author has inserted sufficient markers to keep the reader on track. Garry Kay writes with confidence and has produced a profound tale which will make you reflect on your every action.
A chilling tale of the uglier side of human nature, I could not recommend this novel more!

Texting Orwell
Texting Orwell
Price: 1.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 13 Oct 2012
This review is from: Texting Orwell (Kindle Edition)
Hilarious!
This is a great novella - I chortled all the way through. Not sure I'll look at a van driver in quite the same way again! Little writes with confidence to create a picture of outer London romance that was captivating. There's plenty of naughty language which really isn't `de trop' and is instrumental in drawing believable characters. I loved this - I look forward to the next one!

The Aunt Sally Team
The Aunt Sally Team
Price: 2.38

5.0 out of 5 stars A chocolate cake read, 1 Oct 2012
A chocolate cake read..
This was a treat; no need to think, nor decipher, just sit back and imbibe!
Academics and teenagers, pagans and romantics topped with a smattering of Indian values to present a realistic tableau of modern life in an extraordinary city. Whilst The Aunt Sally Team is as lighthearted as the sport, this novel deals with the strong issues of adolescent angst, sexual discovery, the sadness and struggles of alcoholism and that ever present obsession of the human condition - love.
Ms Merauld writes with a fluency and perception that brings her characters very much off the page to fix themselves firmly in your heart. You can't go wrong with this one - enjoy!

Flying Lessons
Flying Lessons
Price: 1.02

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful novel, 16 Sep 2012
This review is from: Flying Lessons (Kindle Edition)
This is an unusual love story between two struggling souls. It's the quirkiest book I have read in years . It has a Catcher in the Rye or Jack Kerouac feel to it. Mr Potts presents us with a main character who is logic-driven, devoid of social skills and unaware of his good looks who comes across an angst-ridden, unstable, wealthy woman making a recipe for one of the best books I've read in years.
Potts' writing style is observant and skilful with some beautiful descriptions whilst keeping it concise and to the point. The pIot moves forward at just the right pace steering you to the tumultuous and shocking conclusion. This is an incredible work and an unbelievable first novel - I simply cannot wait to see what comes next!

Page: 1 | 2